Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #21

I was curious, so I spent some time looking through the Michigan Compiled Laws

I'm pretty sure that it isn't Illegal, at least in Michigan, to be over on payload or GCWR. All weight limits listed are the road limits and have nothing to do with equipment capability.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #22

I have heard of a few people being ticked in Ontario for being overweight and personally ran into an insurance broker that told me knowingly being overweight would negate my insurance. (Told while being quoted, not on an active policy. ). So I ask a friend who is a cop and was told that RVs are exempt from all weight related tickets, *IF* they are under 11,000kg GCWR for truck and trailer. (24,200lbs). Basically to get a ticket for being overweight you have to have a huge truck and trailer, *AND* p!$$ off a cop you stopped you for some other reason first. If you're over 11,000kg you're past the weight limit for an RV and the G license most people with an RV have, but not even the MTO guys will care as long as it really is just an RV. He knew of people with RVs being stopped and taken to the MTO, and said it happens if it's just an obvious hazard on wheels, or the driver is stopped for something else and then tries to make a point to be confrontational.

This rule doesn't apply out of province. Since there are reciprocal agreements for other provinces and states you are only overweight if that is the case in your home region.

I still wouldn't want to try my luck on insurance. But after asking at least I know short of really ticking off a cop if pulled over it's not realistic to get a ticket for being overweight. If you are over the 11,000 limit and have an A license (same as tractor trailer in ontario) then the 11,000kg weight limit doesn't apply.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Half ton towable doesn't mean that EVERY half ton can pull it......snip
X2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I was curious, so I spent some time looking through the Michigan Compiled Laws

I'm pretty sure that it isn't Illegal, at least in Michigan, to be over on payload or GCWR. All weight limits listed are the road limits and have nothing to do with equipment capability.

Pretty accurate. Commercially they care about GVWR of the truck and trailer as individual units, and the CMV as a whole in terms of the elected GVW in Michigan.
Basically the cops can only ticket for what is on a GVW plate...payload and tow ratings aren't on a GVW plate.

In Michigan at least, they also care a lot more about your equipment being inspected and legal in terms of the DOT inspection requirements. I've been pulled over with a load over my published tow rating but let off with a "great job, it's nice to see someone in compliance" after a review of my Class A CDL, current Annual inspection, proper GVW plates and well maintained equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
looks like my f150 with the 3,5 eco with max tow package and 1998 lb of payload isnt enough for a 28,5 rsts , so why calling it HT towable ?

last question the pin weight will be close to taking all my payload if i bring the FW to the max weight loaded , do you think that adding a leaf spring or timbren would be enough is i stay within the GCVW ?

The wife and I reallynfell in love with the floorplan but our stupid truck is new and we would loose too much on it....whats your take on beefing up the susp. a little if of course if we stay within the gcvw ?
I pulled a 10K fiver over 20,000 miles with my 2011 F150 Ecoboost Max Tow. I had 1848 payload and was 650 lbs over the rear GAWR, and was within spec on all other numbers. I added SuperSpings, it rode fine and I never had any issues with handling, braking or towing. I have upgraded to an F350 diesel now. In retrospect, I have no regrets, but would go with the Hellwig Pro series helper springs as they cost less. I considered Timbrens, but hear that is can be kind of a jolt when you bottom on them. Is the 27.5 lighter enough to consider? Never mind, I see there isn't even enough difference in the 26.5. My original plan was a Jayco HT 29.5 as I met a couple with pulling one with the F150 5.0L V8 and air bags. But research indicated too much pin weight and I went with the same floor plan in the Cougar High Country with 350 lbs less pin weight (1410 dry). You would have to plan on nothing in the bed other than the hitch. I also loaded heavier stuff to the rear of the fiver. I've been up and down mountains in VT, NH, CO and WY with no problem. I went to an F350 because of battery and solar upgrades adding more weight to the front, plus now I can get the full Eagle series in my next fiver.
A Wagner charge air cooler was my only other upgrade to the Ecoboost as the OEM is pretty small for towing to your limits.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPayne View Post
I did a quick google search and saw others stating the same, so I figured I would not try to be the one to prove that wrong.
Only happens on the internet and according to Google regardless of what you have heard. In real life, the fact is nobody has had their insurance coverage denied for being overweight in any Province in Canada.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I've been on the ford website for about 30 hours the last couple days building my next truck. It looks like your 150 is close to the top when it comes to payload for that model.

Jayco is calling it half ton towable to sell more campers, not to keep your family safe.

In theory, if you camp alone, take almost no gear, leave your tanks, your cabinets, dog(s), your fridge empty, you can tow it. The F150 is an amazing truck ( I will miss mine greatly ), but seriously isn't designed to tow that. I know it really stinks when you realize your TV isn't up to what you wish it was. My 150 is paid off in a few months, so we're trading up soon. Sorry you don't have better options right now. I guess all you guys can realistically do is either take a major hit on your 150 in trade in, or wait.
Or even consider going back to a tow behind trailer of similar size?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #28

A bit late to this party......but here's my story:

In 2012, bought an F-150 SCREW 4x4, Ecoboost, Max Tow, HD Payload package. Door sticker says payload is 2166 lbs, and towing is 11,100. In 2013, bought an Eagle HT 26.5RLS. Brochure pin weight was 1285. Good to go, right? Ummm....after me, wife, 2 dogs, lighter hitch, nothing else in truck, and not putting too much stuff in the 5th, we were anywhere from right on max payload to 100 lbs over, depending on the trip (per scale). Water tank was in the rear on that model, so there were times I filled it, just to keep pin weight down slightly.

Was currently shopping for a replacement, and in the 4 yrs since, all of the "HT Towable" 5ths have gained weight. Some substantially. So now I would be 400-500 lbs over max payload and GVWR. For me, that is moving from slightly overweight to unacceptable. And (except for the new aluminum body F-150's with the HD Payload package), my truck still has the highest payload available.

So as much as I hated to do it, rather than spend the $$ I don't have for a bigger truck, we have moved to a TT of equivalent size that the truck can handle with ease. Loved that 5th, but.....

So yes, the mfg.'s lie - trucks can pull them, but they can't carry them.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
A bit late to this party......but here's my story:

In 2012, bought an F-150 SCREW 4x4, Ecoboost, Max Tow, HD Payload package. Door sticker says payload is 2166 lbs, and towing is 11,100. In 2013, bought an Eagle HT 26.5RLS. Brochure pin weight was 1285. Good to go, right? Ummm....after me, wife, 2 dogs, lighter hitch, nothing else in truck, and not putting too much stuff in the 5th, we were anywhere from right on max payload to 100 lbs over, depending on the trip (per scale). Water tank was in the rear on that model, so there were times I filled it, just to keep pin weight down slightly.

Was currently shopping for a replacement, and in the 4 yrs since, all of the "HT Towable" 5ths have gained weight. Some substantially. So now I would be 400-500 lbs over max payload and GVWR. For me, that is moving from slightly overweight to unacceptable. And (except for the new aluminum body F-150's with the HD Payload package), my truck still has the highest payload available.

So as much as I hated to do it, rather than spend the $$ I don't have for a bigger truck, we have moved to a TT of equivalent size that the truck can handle with ease. Loved that 5th, but.....

So yes, the mfg.'s lie - trucks can pull them, but they can't carry them.

Perfectly stated!
https://goo.gl/photos/sQzc7u2x4QYHzxir7
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #30

Yup thats at what we are looking for now...the 29RKS is a floor plan that we like a lot but too many report about bad thing about rear kitchen.... and its hard to find in the jayco line a trailer with decent counter top size, size that allow the coffe maker and the toaster to stay on the counter with room to spare for when doing the dishes etc etc. Cant find the same floor than my 24 RBS WH 2014, we love our floor and kitchen Jayco would have the perfect floor for us with the same plan, but with a full slide out to accomodate 2 recliners, give me that and I would keep my trailer forever

29 RLDS in another interesting trailer that my F150 would pull with not much trouble I would beleive

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote