Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #1

If not for bad luck...

Well...first the 2016 Pinnacle & all the issues - still in the shop and a few issues have been found.

Now our F450 is in the shop to have the heater block plug replaced. The part wasn't in until Monday so we left the truck at the Ford dealership. Went to pick it up yesterday and someone had a darn field day!!! They popped out the lock on the tailgate and took the 3 totes we had in - had the spare hitch ball and slide extension, diesel additive, windshield wiper fluid and other miscellaneous things.

But that isn't the bad part...not sure how they got into the truck - either it was left unlocked, used some type of jimmie was used or the window was left down. They dropped out the center light from the roof (to kill the light), rummaged through the truck, removed some wires, unhooked the cat crates (we have them tied down), grease all over the seats, and wait for it...wait for it...the console safe. Yep, they tried to open the safe - no go. So they tried to remove the center console - so bad it can't lay down & it is crooked. And they left a complete set of impact sockets! It is guesstimated they were in the truck for 30 minutes.

Now waiting to hear how much it is going to cost us for repairs.

So if it wasn't for bad luck...
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #2

First, thank you both for your service!

Second, I would ask the dealer to review their surveillance video if any. Was the truck secured in a fenced yard? See if the dealer will process a claim through their insurance for the additional repairs.

This one sounds like it was possibly a dealership employee, and if the owners feel that way they may be more inclined to make thisng right for you.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Well...first the 2016 Pinnacle & all the issues - still in the shop and a few issues have been found.

Now our F450 is in the shop to have the heater block plug replaced. The part wasn't in until Monday so we left the truck at the Ford dealership. Went to pick it up yesterday and someone had a darn field day!!! They popped out the lock on the tailgate and took the 3 totes we had in - had the spare hitch ball and slide extension, diesel additive, windshield wiper fluid and other miscellaneous things.

But that isn't the bad part...not sure how they got into the truck - either it was left unlocked, used some type of jimmie was used or the window was left down. They dropped out the center light from the roof (to kill the light), rummaged through the truck, removed some wires, unhooked the cat crates (we have them tied down), grease all over the seats, and wait for it...wait for it...the console safe. Yep, they tried to open the safe - no go. So they tried to remove the center console - so bad it can't lay down & it is crooked. And they left a complete set of impact sockets! It is guesstimated they were in the truck for 30 minutes.

Now waiting to hear how much it is going to cost us for repairs.

So if it wasn't for bad luck...
It was at the dealership when this happened? If so, I certainly wouldn't be paying for repairs!

My catalytic converter was stolen while my camper was at a vendor getting repaired. If the owner hadn't done the right thing and fixed it, I would have made a claim on my insurance; my insurance would then have made a claim against the shop owner.

The vehicle was in their custody, therefore it is their responsibility to keep it safe. Their insurance should cover it. The only reason the owner in my case didn't make a claim on his insurance was because the repair was less than his deductible.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #4

Hopefully they can pull prints from the sockets..
Old 03-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
Site Team

First and foremost, I am truly sorry to hear of the theft and damage to your vehicle.

I had a vehicle damaged on the dealership lot when it was in for warranty work back in 2016. It took a few weeks to get all of the details worked out. But in the end, the vehicle was repaired by the dealership.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #6

So sorry to hear of this awful occurrence. It would be one thing at a private shop in a bad part of town, but a Ford dealership? They should be bending over backward to make things better than right. If they don’t, I’d remind them how a little publicity about such an episode would cost them far more in lost business. If they are a responsible dealership, maybe they’d give you a killer dealer on a new truck just to make it all go away? Just a thought.

And...thank you both for your service!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #7

That sucks!

Good luck at getting it all fixed up.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #8

Marcm157 - yes, we asked them to review security tapes. Yes the truck was in a secured area - so of. Wednesday - Monday morning it was in the "holding pen". Not totally secured but is behind fences. Someone is supposed to check all of the other vehicles in the "holding pen" to see if there was more damage done. Monday after working on it, it goes into another lot with better gates/wiring. No, they will not process through their insurance - they are not responsible. And yes, we are wondering if it was an inside job.

Camper_bob - unfortunately in Ohio it doesn't quite work that way. We did talk to our insurance carrier & we have decided to wait until they come back with "details".

Grumpy, DW asked that and also about making a police report. They said a waste of time.

LuckyDuck - Ford dealership in a bad part of time BUT they have the best diesel techs. It will be interesting to see how they respond. And it is a family owned/run dealership. And yes, bad publicity does go a long way.

So DW & I have been talking - yes, I am obsessing over this. We dropped it off on Wednesday late afternoon. It was pulled into the "holding pen" until Thursday morning. Once looked at, it is put back into the "holding pen". IF the tech who looked at it on Thursday, also worked on it Monday, why didn't he notice the damage? If not the same tech, okay, get it. But what about the service guy who pulled the truck around. Why didn't he say something before even pulling it out? We don't leave trash in our vehicles and there is no way we would have pulled out the center light. So in other words, there are way too many questions and not enough answers.

And we left our registration/insurance information in the glove box. So did the "person" take a picture of the information? Another darn thing to worry about, especially when we travel. We do have security on the house but still something else for DW to worry about.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #9

Quote:
No, they will not process through their insurance - they are not responsible.
This really puzzles me. You cannot take your own vehicle off of a shop's lot without their permission while it is in their possession. Doing so is theft. It's technically their property while in their possession, which also means they are responsible for it. Or is the shop just not wanting this on their insurance?

And who said filing a report was a waste of time? The police or the shop? You may need a report if you end up claiming on your insurance, and I certainly would if the shop refuses to take responsibility. Let the insurance company handle it then.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
LuckyDuck - Ford dealership in a bad part of time BUT they have the best diesel techs. It will be interesting to see how they respond. And it is a family owned/run dealership. And yes, bad publicity does go a long way.
Hmm. Sounds like FULLER or SANDERS
Old 03-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Moderator's Note

Before this thread moves along, please keep in mind that our community rules prohibit the use of JOF as a platform for customer disputes. Please refrain from posting any specific details about ongoing investigations, legal advice, etc.

We all wish the OP of this thread the best in this situation. Please just make sure that this conversation fits our Community Rules.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #12

As a retired police detective and squad supervisor, I can say conclusively that based upon your account of the events, there are multiple opportunities for that vehicle and its contents to have been dusted for prints. Sadly, it sounds like the police department did not give this the attention it should have received.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
This really puzzles me. You cannot take your own vehicle off of a shop's lot without their permission while it is in their possession. Doing so is theft. It's technically their property while in their possession, which also means they are responsible for it. Or is the shop just not wanting this on their insurance?

And who said filing a report was a waste of time? The police or the shop? You may need a report if you end up claiming on your insurance, and I certainly would if the shop refuses to take responsibility. Let the insurance company handle it then.
+1 all the way.

If the dealership is saying "aw, that's too bad ... you're on your own" you can bet I'm making one HECK of a stink!

Just an anecdote somewhat related: There's an auto shop here in my little town. HIGHLY rated, and by all accounts does EXCELLENT work. Every evening, they take EVERY vehicle on their lot and pack them all into the shop. Every morning, they pull them all back out.

Wonder why they do that?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
As a retired police detective and squad supervisor, I can say conclusively that based upon your account of the events, there are multiple opportunities for that vehicle and its contents to have been dusted for prints. Sadly, it sounds like the police department did not give this the attention it should have received.
From the dealership's past experience, it would have been a total waste of time. Not knocking police officers as a whole as I worked as one and DW has several family members who are or have now retired. DW really wishes the dealership had contacted the police when we first reported it...oh well.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #15

I would also take a look at the work order you signed when you left your vehicle. Some places have in very fine print above where you sign that they are not responsible for theft or related damages. In any case, I wouldn't be overly concerned, your insurance should take care of you and they may seek payment from the business where the break-in occurred (if you have full coverage that is). ~CA
Old 03-11-2021, 01:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
In any case, I wouldn't be overly concerned, your insurance should take care of you and they may seek payment from the business where the break-in occurred (if you have full coverage that is). ~CA
Most likely vehicle contents are covered under your home owners insurance, vehicle damage is covered by the auto insurance, most likely there will be 2 deductibles to deal with.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #17

DW & I discussed...if they fix everything damaged, including the safe, we are not concerned about the 3 totes and the contents that were stolen. We are slowly remembering things in the totes and figured the total of the contents may not reach our deductible or would be very close. Two of the totes were not cheap and in fact, have been difficult to locate. They did leave the large chocks and the broom!

We did receive another phone call and no other vehicle was broken into. And they watched the tapes and can't be 100% sure they saw any activity. As far as how they got into the truck - presuming the doors were left unlocked.

And from now on, if the truck needs repair and is drivable but the part is not available, we will not leave it - will return when the part arrives.

Thanks everyone for reading/replying.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #18

Quote:
From the dealership's past experience, it would have been a total waste of time. Not knocking police officers as a whole as I worked as one and DW has several family members who are or have now retired. DW really wishes the dealership had contacted the police when we first reported it...oh well.
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I’m not sure you couldn’t still file a report yourself. In our city, you can do them online. If future similar incidents occur — either at the dealership or elsewhere — it’s always good to have past incidents documented. Good luck!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #19

"DW & I discussed...if they fix everything damaged, including the safe, we are not concerned about the 3 totes and the contents that were stolen."

Just noticed this...hope the dealership takes care of you and it's not out of your own pocket.
Good Luck

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #20

Dennis, hope all turns out for the better for each of you. You can't make this stuff up. SKIDAWG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote