Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #41

Color match should not be an issue if the dealer has a body shop. If you aren't happy with what your insurance company suggests you have recourse with the Department of Insurance for your state, Alabama. The decals that are produced aftermarket are quality. You should see what they offer before discounting the quality of repair.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #42

Lance makes a nice trailer. They are a bit more expensive than the Jay Feather I purchased last August
bam1429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #43

We have an Arctic Fox 27-5 fifth wheel that we are very pleased with. Had it about 4 years.
wetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #44

Ive owned a ThorC, a Winnibago B, and now a Jayco C.

Hands down winni was best fit and finish, I can’t remember any issues with the assembly or finish, and being able to deal directly with the factory for parts and getting someone on the phone weather to order a part or ask a quick question without having to recite your entire Vin code was much more pleasant than calling Jayco. I also had quicker authorization for warranty repairs from winni! (They even sent me the wrong part once, told me to keep it and sent the correct one!)
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #45

A few year back I ordered a custom-appointed family-owned Jayco. A few months later I received what was one of the first Thor Jaycos. It had a few items of less quality but Jayco pretty much said, Screw ya! We can change whatever we want whenever we want so there! Take it or leave it, sucker, we really don't give a rat's a**! I have many pages of correspondence to back these statements.

Since then Jayco has been good at repairing things and I have been even better at making sure the repairs are good and making better repairs and modifications than Jayco has ever dreamed of. We now have a far superior trailer with heavier suspension, bigger tires, and wonderful extra amenities. We really like it and it will be our last.

HOWEVER, we had looked at and I would strongly consider Rockwood, Coachman Apex, Flagstaff and a few others. As I see it trailers are all pretty much mass-produced, slapped together, cheap as possible contraptions. Owners are required to pay out the big bucks and then make the thing work. And I must confess, that is much of the fun of owning the basic DIY-to-make-it-better-for-you trailer.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #46

If we did not own our Jayco 145RB, I would go back to my Kelty backpack and my Kelty 2 man tent! Less repairs, Less weight, Less money! But then I'd be carrying everything again!!!
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
If we did not own our Jayco 145RB, I would go back to my Kelty backpack and my Kelty 2 man tent! Less repairs, Less weight, Less money! But then I'd be carrying everything again!!!
LOL, that’s a good prospective!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #48

Probably a super C just not sure whos.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam1429 View Post
Lance makes a nice trailer. They are a bit more expensive than the Jay Feather I purchased last August
Second the Lance. I was looking at several models at an RV show and the fit and finish is very nice. Just can't afford one right now.
Building Inspector & Navy Vet.
F250dieseldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:05 PM   #50
Jon

I just ordered a 2021 Cedar Creek 34IK fifth wheel to replace my current 2017 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS. I think Cedar Creek is one of the best built 5ers out there, without going to above ~$100K MSRP or ~16K lbs. GVWR. The runners up were Vilano, Durango Gold, Arctic Fox, which I think are also better built than the rest of the 5ers on the market right now.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #51

Grand Design or Outdoor RV
Old 04-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #52

Pick the right dealer!

There a lot of brands out there! I believe the dealer is more important than the brand. It doesn't matter what brand you get it will need repairs sometime and you need a good dealer to take care of them. If you can find a good dealer near where you live, that would be ideal.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #53

We have looked very seriously at the Montana High Country. The center pivoting bathroom door is a deal breaker for us. Since Jayco has canceled the front living room North Point toy hauler. We are now looking at the Fuzion line.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #54

Check out the hand crafted Vanleigh RV fifth wheel models. Vanleigh is associated with the Tifton Motor Coach family.
32Pinnical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #55

I could have lived with a Forest River r-pod

I looked carefully at the r-pod before buying my Hummingbird. The r-pod had more convenience features and a bit more space, but the Jayco build and superior running gear and tires seemed better suited for the long haul.
LeeWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #56

Montana by Keystone.
Wm.Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #57

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Well, i guess if i couldn't choose Starcraft, because it really is Jayco, i would look at Coleman, because, like Jayco, nice floor plans, and pretty well something to fit everyones budgets. Lets face it here folks, the industry has changed drastically, companies buying up companies, for what, market share? I'm sure Thor would have just preferred to have purchased "Jayflight", why not, the number one selling line of trailers for what, 15 or so years. It would be like an auto company only wanting to buy the F150 from Fords.... they buy what sells. Remember not long ago when the majority of pop-ups in a campground had Jayco, or Starcraft on the side of it. Where are these trailers now? How can a young family get into RVing, like we all did? Buy an overpriced Hybrid? We're the cause of this.... we started small, than we wanted more, to the point where the prices have gotten totally stupid, on some real crap. But we buy it, than we take it home, and this and that doesn't work, so we blame the manufacturer. It's the damn toys that usually break, not the basic camping items that we have been living with since we started camping. Most of the issues are from parts of the trailer not made buy the trailer manufacturer, but from the company these builders buy from....example Norcold, made in USA .... they are worse now than what they ever have been. I buy a new trailer, that fridge should fire up on propane first time ..... nope, keep trying, it will eventually! The one thing that really damaged Jayco's reputation for Customer Service was the internet. Long before Thor, way back when you could actually call acustomer service line and talk to a human being..... thats where Jayco excelled over every other brand of trailers in the business .... they cared, they were human, they helped. Sorry folks, those days are long gone .... send an e-mail, and someone will get back to you in 24 to 48 hours.....thats bull****! Have you ever watched the video of "building a Jayflight"? The gentleman that is doing that video is John McDonald.... i know, i dealt with him when he was working in their Customer Service Dept way back in late 90's, early 2000's. He helped me with a major water damage issue with my '99 Litehawk, and he is the reason why i have purchased Jaycos ever since, a whole lot of Jaycos. Because he cared, because he was given the power to care....that my dear friends is long gone.... but, to re-answer the original question, if i had to choose another brand, i'd say im done, i'll take up something else. Jayco is my brand, and yes, sometimes i have to shake my head at some of their bonehead construction problems, but i;m brand loyal
Old 04-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #58

went to RV show in Jax. and looked at a Jayco 212QB. That was the one I'd been researching here, and everywhere else for months. A friend had told me look at a Lance if one was there. Saw one, my wife, (who knows nothing about RV's) walked in and said, "This is it! I can feel the difference!" Spent 1-1/2 hours with the Lance Divisional Sales Mgr, then one of the RV dealer owners, (Large national dealer) and he made me a good deal. Called him back 10 days layer and made a little better deal. I know the price was more than twice the price of the Jayco, but the Lance had every available option already on it and I won't have to do the list of repairs, additions and upgrades on the list I'd already printed out from what I found hereon the Jayco. They aren't cheap, but worth it in the long run. Ours is a model 1685.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #59

Possiblr 2nd Choice

We have had 2 Dutchmen and 5 Jayco fifth wheels. The first two Jaycos were Designers and the last 3 were Pinnacles. All have been pretty decent quality and the last one, a 2016 38FLSA has been the best. Have had a few problems but nothing major.

If I were to buy a new one I would look seriously at the Grand Design Solitude. It is a bit more pricey but has some nice features. Not ready to buy yet though.
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #60

I’m looking at the “Bigfoot “ with twin beds for my next TT. Why I haven’t done it yet is because there’s nothing wrong with my 2010 and outside of a new slide motor that’s been the only part I’ve had to replace in 7 years and we use it for 20 weeks a year. Oh, new tires but they don’t count.

Tags
2nd choice to jayco brand