Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #1

If you did not own a Jayco Brand RV, what would be your second choice?

I may have a strange question. If you did not own a Jayco Brand RV, what would be your second choice? While I have been faithful to the Jayco Brand with my Pinnacle being my 3rd Jayco, I am disappointed in how Jayco supports their Dealer Service Shops not to mention the decline in quality after Thor purchased Jayco. My Pinnacle is in the Service shop right now getting repair to the left rear (a scratch into the fiberglass that is about 20 feet long). Jayco will not provide the paint color to the Jayco Dealer Service Department and will not sell the Dealer the Decals for the left side repair; they only sell the complete RV Decal package which is just over $7,000. I don’t need all the decals; just the decals for the left side rear (would expect left side decals would have been a package). To make things even more fun with regard to this repair, the Insurance Company refuses to pay for the Jayco Decal package saying all the decals are not needed and the cost is excessive. They have proposed a RV Graphic company to custom make the decals. If they are an exact match, guess who loses on this deal…ME! I filed the claim with the Insurance Company before Christmas and here we are on April 1 and I still can’t get an approved settlement. While I have done business with this Jayco Dealer for 10 years and they have been absolutely great, I’m done with Jayco. So, what would be your second choice for RV Manufacturer?
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #2

Our neighbor purchased a Flagstaff Travel Trailer last year with one slideout. I was very impressed with the fit and finish as well as the amenities it comes with. As far as I know, they have had no issues with it.

I think I would be leaning toward the Flagstaff brand when I am in the market to purchase a new TT. I have been very happy with my 2015 Jayco (before Thor), but I have seen a substantial decrease in quality in the Jayco brand in the last few years, noting my brother's 2018 Jayco SLX and from what I have seen at RV shows.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
Site Team

Keep in mind while there are a plethora of brand names, Thor and Forest River own most of them and account for over 80% of the towables market. But there are some smaller independent brands out there.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #4

I’d take a longer look at Northwood Mfg. Agree that our Pinnacle is a let down but when looking at pricing for other 5th wheels having similar features I feel it’s decent value. As a manufacturing guy I hate saying that
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:47 AM   #5

We love our Pinnacle but our retirement rig will probably be a Luxe
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgelyhome View Post
. My Pinnacle is in the Service shop right now getting repair to the left rear (a scratch into the fiberglass that is about 20 feet long). Jayco will not provide the paint color to the Jayco Dealer Service Department and will not sell the Dealer the Decals for the left side repair; they only sell the complete RV Decal package which is just over $7,000. I don’t need all the decals; just the decals for the left side rear (would expect left side decals would have been a package). To make things even more fun with regard to this repair, the Insurance Company refuses to pay for the Jayco Decal package saying all the decals are not needed and the cost is excessive.
Any decent body shop can match the paint, they do it every day with a gun. As to a paint code, if your rig has any sun fade the color may not match anyway and just like carpet or wallpaper every production run of the Filon may have a slight color variation

JAYCO buys their decals in complete sets based on planned production, so if they sell you one part what happens to the remainder? Also remember the dealer adds mark-up to all parts and as has been posted people get different prices on the same part from different dealers.

Personally I think your complaint is with your Insurance Co. and your dealer with regards to getting it repaired.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #7

Artic Fox mfg. by northwood
If we had not gone with the class C hands down would have been Artic Fox.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #8

I had found my Rockwood TT to be of higher build quality across the board. More cargo capacity, heavier frame, tongue and groove flooring, etc. Even the Roo. You have to step up to a Whitehawk to start getting some of that quality.

I’ve always advised my friends and colleagues to look hard at Rockwood Roo and Rockwood Minilites if they are shopping Hybrid or Ultra light/smaller TTs.

Rockwood = Flagstaff. Just different stickers/colors/patterns.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #9

Our Pinnacle had to have fiberglass work done, which included the decal on the front cap. The repair shop matched the decal using paint and it actually looks nicer than the decal.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #10

Interesting info on the decals. My dealer has replaced two sets of decals at different times. Both times were warranty claims. The front cap, I was given the new decal, as Jayco was experiencing adhesive failure. Mine looked good, and I said do not replace.
The dealer gave me the decal. Left side wall decal, was bubbling, Jayco replaced it. $7K is a lot of money. I think I might just have a custom wrap done, that looks different than everyone else.

As for a SOB, we have been looking at LQ (Living Quarters) horse trailers. We have no horses, but to put our Model T in it. The vendor will also do regular cargo trailers with the same setup, but I like the looks of a horse trailer. But when it is time, I will do a closer review of both options. My biggest concern is all the aluminum studs, and how much condensation I will have on the walls during cold months.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #11

Most shops that do wraps for cars etc. can create replacement decals. I’m actually working on some additional decals to add blue accents to the rv, to match the truck.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #12

Oh and I forgot to add, I would seriously look at Arctic Fox for my next rv.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #13

Agree with others... Northwood would get my vote. My first trailer was a used Nash, very high quality.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Keep in mind while there are a plethora of brand names, Thor and Forest River own most of them and account for over 80% of the towables market. But there are some smaller independent brands out there.
Yes, I realize that Thor and Forest River own most Brands. Now I know how they are making their profit....parts.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, I realize that Thor and Forest River own most Brands. Now I know how they are making their profit....parts.
No doubt 7 grand is alot of cash for a set of decals. I agree with the others there must be a cheaper alternative.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Any decent body shop can match the paint, they do it every day with a gun. As to a paint code, if your rig has any sun fade the color may not match anyway and just like carpet or wallpaper every production run of the Filon may have a slight color variation

JAYCO buys their decals in complete sets based on planned production, so if they sell you one part what happens to the remainder? Also remember the dealer adds mark-up to all parts and as has been posted people get different prices on the same part from different dealers.

Personally I think your complaint is with your Insurance Co. and your dealer with regards to getting it repaired.
In 2014, I had a Jayco Designer that was vandalized. The repair required some of the right side decals. The Dealer was able to purchase just the right side decals for about $300 from Jayco. I guess Jayco decided it was easier to just stock the complete set as you say. I have taken to task the Insurance Company but they said they are not required to provide OEM parts for their repair.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #17

I would take a good look at a Forest River product as well. Their travel trailers come standard with TST TPMS and Wifi Ranger wifi booster Sky 4 among other things.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #18

My wife and I looked at Pinnacle as a second choice.
At this time in our life, we could not justify that choice.
When we retire, we will consider Pinnacle, but for now, we will stay with our Eagle 314BDS Travel Trailer.

Other than this, we are looking at a Super c.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Agree with others... Northwood would get my vote. My first trailer was a used Nash, very high quality.
I agree. Their older models were also very heavy for their size.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #20

Quote:
I may have a strange question. If you did not own a Jayco Brand RV, what would be your second choice? … So, what would be your second choice for RV Manufacturer?
The old saying: "The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill" may or may not hold true in the RV world … just saying. Within the last week, we traded our Eagle HT ( Jayco owned by Thor ) for a new Montana High Country ( a Keystone RV Company with is owned by Thor ).

We had a few problems with our Jayco within the first year of ownership but nothing that was major. It did go back to the dealership twice for warranty repairs. Although we have not be able to utilize our new Montana ( friggin Covid 19 closures and lock downs ) the Montana seems to be a couple of steps above the Jayco as far as "fit and finish".

The fact of the matter is that most RV's are assembled rather hastily with little to no real quality control. The assembly plants are installing appliances and electronics from outside vendors assuming the outside vendors have provided the assembly lines with functioning products ( no real quality control here either ).

So, unless the unit is hand built by quality craftsmen/assemblers with fine tooth comb quality control, it's a crap shoot whether you get a "good" one from any of the manufactures.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2nd choice to jayco brand