Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
JohnWedell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Riverhead, Long Island NY
Posts: 826
Info For The Weight Police

Well its the time of the year where the trailer is set up and were getting ready for our winter trip to Florida. I took the trailer down to the weigh station and filled in all the information on the spreadsheet I made and below is the results. Looks like were good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
901B32DB-0459-45A1-A697-B303BFE661E9.jpg   B0FBAF91-D0D0-40AF-B36A-7ECE961150FC.jpg  
__________________

__________________
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder
2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
Dish Hopper With 2 Joeys & Birdog Meter
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joan617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Florida for Winter, then TX for Crack
Posts: 435
Nice! I just finished a similar spreadsheet but not as elaborate as that. We recently did the Escapees Smartweigh so I had data to play with.


Have a safe trip to FL; we're keeping it warm for you.
__________________

__________________
Joan & Angus Campbell
Full Time Roaming, chasing 78 degrees
2019 Pinnacle 36SSWS
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
4 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 201
That's awesome. Better safe than sorry. With our F250, we really have to watch the weights. We're close on some, but not over on anything.
__________________
Ford F250, Crew, 6.2 Gas, 4X4, Short Bed, Companion Hitch
2019 Jayco 28.5 RSTS, MorRyde orbital
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
JohnWedell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Riverhead, Long Island NY
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Nice! I just finished a similar spreadsheet but not as elaborate as that. We recently did the Escapees Smartweigh so I had data to play with.


Have a safe trip to FL; we're keeping it warm for you.
Thanks, 3 weeks and counting.
__________________
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder
2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
Dish Hopper With 2 Joeys & Birdog Meter
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Whitby
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
Well its the time of the year where the trailer is set up and were getting ready for our winter trip to Florida. I took the trailer down to the weigh station and filled in all the information on the spreadsheet I made and below is the results. Looks like were good to go.
Does your front axle weight not change when FW added
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
JohnWedell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Riverhead, Long Island NY
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Does your front axle weight not change when FW added
no it did’t (not sure why) but a great 60/40 ratio
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Bondurant
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
no it didt (not sure why) but a great 60/40 ratio
In order to change the weight on the front axle you kingpin has to be forward of the center of your rear axle by a fair amount....
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joan617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Florida for Winter, then TX for Crack
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensue View Post
In order to change the weight on the front axle you kingpin has to be forward of the center of your rear axle by a fair amount....

At our recent weighing, I was alarmed to see that our truck's front axle weight got LOWER by 100 lbs with the FW hooked up. So obviously my dealer did not put the hitch center 1-2" ahead of the axle as is normal. A friend who is a retired pro trucker quickly reminded me that a 100 lb shift in weight is not a big deal on a 9,000+ lb truck and is no different than a passenger moving to the back seat.


He also allayed my concerns about my FW being so much heavier on the driver side (due to appliances, counters, etc). He explained that when possible, truckers will often pack the driver's side heavier to compensate for that side of the truck being higher on the center crown of the roadway, thus helping to keep the rig in trim. Huh.


Angus
__________________
Joan & Angus Campbell
Full Time Roaming, chasing 78 degrees
2019 Pinnacle 36SSWS
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
4 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
At our recent weighing, I was alarmed to see that our truck's front axle weight got LOWER by 100 lbs with the FW hooked up. So obviously my dealer did not put the hitch center 1-2" ahead of the axle as is normal. A friend who is a retired pro trucker quickly reminded me that a 100 lb shift in weight is not a big deal on a 9,000+ lb truck and is no different than a passenger moving to the back seat.


He also allayed my concerns about my FW being so much heavier on the driver side (due to appliances, counters, etc). He explained that when possible, truckers will often pack the driver's side heavier to compensate for that side of the truck being higher on the center crown of the roadway, thus helping to keep the rig in trim. Huh.


Angus
Ours was about 20 pounds lighter on the front axle. I was worried, too, but someone suggested that i might have had my foot on the brake, and the trailer was pulling backward, shifting the weight. I haven't been back to reweigh since then, but it makes sense.
__________________
Ford F250, Crew, 6.2 Gas, 4X4, Short Bed, Companion Hitch
2019 Jayco 28.5 RSTS, MorRyde orbital
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
AKRUEBBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wherever we want to!
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
At our recent weighing, I was alarmed to see that our truck's front axle weight got LOWER by 100 lbs with the FW hooked up. So obviously my dealer did not put the hitch center 1-2" ahead of the axle as is normal. A friend who is a retired pro trucker quickly reminded me that a 100 lb shift in weight is not a big deal on a 9,000+ lb truck and is no different than a passenger moving to the back seat. He also allayed my concerns about my FW being so much heavier on the driver side (due to appliances, counters, etc). He explained that when possible, truckers will often pack the driver's side heavier to compensate for that side of the truck being higher on the center crown of the roadway, thus helping to keep the rig in trim. Huh.Angus
Good points Angus. My front axle weight is 80 lbs less when hitched up. Doesn't affect the feel of steering at all so I was never concerned. The extra weight on the driver side being negated by the crown in the road makes sense.
__________________
AL & JANET KRUEBBE
2019 PINNACLE 37RLWS
2018 NORTH POINT 315RLTS (TRADED)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 133
Thanks for the numbers John.

Having a SRW 3500 as our TV pulling a 315RLTS, I had to get creative. I've installed a cargo carrier on the North Point hitch receiver and we carry the genny, Webber barbecue and all of the heavy pads for the leveling legs in it. Combined weight with the carrier is about 280lbs. That relocates the heaviest cargo from the front storage to the rear of the trailer. As much as a dually would have been the proper way to do it, our TV is our daily driver and we weren't prepared to upgrade.
__________________

__________________
Dave and Ivy

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×