Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

Inside Step Lights

Still getting used to the Pinnacle. I'm not known as a klutz but last night I had a hard fall coming down our steps from the bedroom to the living room. Jayco very wisely put a motion sensing step light on the second step up. Coming down it is the first step. Nice touch but it only does half the job. In the dark coming from the bedroom the next step down just kind of disappears due to the shadow cast by the light. I stepped completely over it in my sleep induced fog and went to the floor. Luckily only my pride was hurt.

I'm thinking another light on the first step would be a good idea. It would be nice to have the same kind of light but not sure how I would wire it. I assume it is a 12V. Amazon has some battery operated ones that I guess would work.

Not much point to this other than be careful and maybe some suggestions on what light to use.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #2

My 2019 doesn't have a sensor light.........good improvement. I purchased a rechargeable LED light that I have in two spots to cover all three steps that I have.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #3

We put night light up opposite the steps and that seems to work fine.
Paul Kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #4

First of all we replaced the factory hand rail with a round stair way hand rail old school. I got 2 motion lights 2 inch round one's at the bed room and one at the base of steps. works great.
frenchfrydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #5

I used two small battery motion sensors lights put at top and bottom of steps. Did the same as you but didn’t go down but think I did everything but that. Morning came about and felt like I had done a double back flip! LOL
Old 09-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #6

I thought I replied to this post a couple days ago.

I would consider adding a strip light under each "toe" tighted back to the main light. As I recall under most 5ver's steps is the cold air return, so you should have plenty of room to drill a tiny hole for the wires to run behind the steps, wire them together and then send them over to the existing light.

Ikea makes some nice hard covered strip lights. I purchased some, they were 12V AC, and used them with 12V DC with no issues.

I think these are the ones that I bought, and you could connect them end to end too.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/dioder-...hite-20119418/

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:21 AM   #7

We just got our 2021 NP310RLTS last week and are still learning the ins and outs of the trailer. The light on the steps is handy, but it is too sensitive. I can be setting in the recliner in the living room and the light will turn on. I’m wondering if there is an adjustment for it? Glad you didn’t hurt more than your pride!
Rambling Drabek’s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #8

Yeah, like AKRUEBBE mentioned, our 2019 rigs don't have those lights on the steps, but it is a good idea. Joan did a spectacular Chevy Chase off those stairs recently and got lucky as well with no injuries. Difference is that she will proudly boast to anyone that she is a klutz.

As others have mentioned that area behind the stairs is indeed a plenum. When you look inside behind the removable basement wall, your stomach will churn at the rat's nest of wires in there but the good news is that there is an abundant source of 12V power there and a couple of suitcase connectors will put you in business.

It's now on my list.

Edit: Just found these...
https://www.salvinco.com/12-volt-Mot...EaAkJTEALw_wcB

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Still getting used to the Pinnacle. I'm not known as a klutz but last night I had a hard fall coming down our steps from the bedroom to the living room. Jayco very wisely put a motion sensing step light on the second step up. Coming down it is the first step. Nice touch but it only does half the job. In the dark coming from the bedroom the next step down just kind of disappears due to the shadow cast by the light. I stepped completely over it in my sleep induced fog and went to the floor. Luckily only my pride was hurt.

I'm thinking another light on the first step would be a good idea. It would be nice to have the same kind of light but not sure how I would wire it. I assume it is a 12V. Amazon has some battery operated ones that I guess would work.

Not much point to this other than be careful and maybe some suggestions on what light to use.
It’s funny, I never thought about this until I saw your post.

I bought these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put one on the toe kick for each stair. In my unit the outdoor kitchen is behind the stairs, I took out the fridge and opened up the wall to get my wires in. I put a switch up on the wall and fished wires from my mid bunk room header cabinet that has lights to the switch and down to the stair lights. They work great and fit the whole Jayco blue lights at night scheme.

When I get a chance I can post pictures if you want.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #10

Found the exact match for my step light so now I have two. Installation was very easy as I was able to access the wiring for the new light behind the panel in the storage bay. The new light is the one on the bottom step. Total cost was $12.99. Works like a charm so hopefully no more late night nose dives. Found the light at www.salvinco.com. They are motion activated.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0450 (2).jpg  
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #11

I went with a cheaper non electrical way....GLOW TAPE. I placed in on the stair treads inside and outside. It works great. I even use it on the wall to find the light switches in the dark.

Quote: Ever notice how "What the Hell" is always the right answer?
maejoicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Found the exact match for my step light so now I have two. Installation was very easy as I was able to access the wiring for the new light behind the panel in the storage bay. The new light is the one on the bottom step. Total cost was $12.99. Works like a charm so hopefully no more late night nose dives. Found the light at www.salvinco.com. They are motion activated.

Interesting - thanks.
I have an issue with this light going on and off by itself at night a lot - disturbing while trying to sleep.
How does this thing come apart?

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
2018 GMC Denali HD CC SRW Duramax L5P
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Zs387RDFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #13

We use these around our 2019 Pinnacle. They have a nice yellowish light that's not too bright in the middle of the night and the batteries last a long time. The sensor can be taped off and the housing painted to match cabinets for higher elevation mounting. Not the most stylish but we purchased this model for the yellow light instead of bright white. Mr Beams products, so far, have proven to be quite reliable and good quality for us. https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-Batt...%2C393&sr=8-10
PipeFighter is offline   Reply With Quote