Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #1
TLG

Installed wireless camera

After four months of procrastinating, finally got around to installing a camera yesterday. Dealer wanted 520.00 plus 100.00 install and the big camping store wanted 400.00 plus 100.00 install. Picked up the exact same furrion wireless observation camera off ebay for 289.00. Install was surprisingly easy. I pulled the middle clearance light and put a rubber grommet in the hole. Installed the camera housing over the hole. This eliminated drilling another hole and the wires showing like on the factory installed ones. I did put a reflector above it so it appears to have all three lights. In my opinion it looks better than the ones that come factory installed. Seems to work great. Haven't been on the road, but its working with the truck parked around the corner of the driveway, at least 80 ft.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLG View Post
After four months of procrastinating, finally got around to installing a camera yesterday. Dealer wanted 520.00 plus 100.00 install and the big camping store wanted 400.00 plus 100.00 install. Picked up the exact same furrion wireless observation camera off ebay for 289.00. Install was surprisingly easy. I pulled the middle clearance light and put a rubber grommet in the hole. Installed the camera housing over the hole. This eliminated drilling another hole and the wires showing like on the factory installed ones. I did put a reflector above it so it appears to have all three lights. In my opinion it looks better than the ones that come factory installed. Seems to work great. Haven't been on the road, but its working with the truck parked around the corner of the driveway, at least 80 ft.
Love to see some pic, TLG.
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #3

Very nice. This is a mod I'd really like to tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

I had to laugh when I found the instructions for using the 'pre-wire' for the camera setup. All they have you do is tap into the running lights and wire it up yourself. Love the marketing gimmicks. Same thing when they spliced in a foot piece of wire into the battery, glued a 5 dollar connector onto the frame and proudly announced "SOLAR Ready!" I think if Jayco made my lawn mower, there would be a sticker on it somewhere claiming it was pre-wired for a back to the future flux-capacitor.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
I had one installed when I bought the trailer, and it works great.... especially when I am pulling a small cargo trailer between my fifth wheeler (29.5 BHDS)... otherwise I cannot tell if the cargo trailer is even there....
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #6

So, I'm assuming that you bypassed the on/off power switch Jayco provided? We had ours installed through the switch, so we can turn the power off when we park.

Quote:
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #7

Our camera is wired thru the trailer running light circuit. So when I want the camera on, I turn on the running lights... which is probably a good thing to do anyway, when underway.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
TLG

There is no switch on our 36FBTS. Jayco customer service at first said it was there, but after several emails they confirmed with one of the line supervisors that some campers were built without it. I just clipped off the clearance light, put on some of those quick connectors, and plugged it in. I also put the connectors on the light in case I want to put it back on.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
TLG

Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0650.jpg   DSC_0651.jpg  
Old 08-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #10

Looks really nice.

I just ordered a rear view system thru e-bay (Chinese special), for around $80 bucks. Truth be known, they're all probably made in china as most electronics are.

I plan on installing it on my X23B hybrid, using one of the clearance lights.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #11

TLG, what model Furrion is that? Looks like the Furrion website lists two models but not sure why the cheaper one says for reversing only?

FOS48TA-BL Wireless Observation (high speed & reversing) $499
FRC12TA-BL Wireless Backup (Intended for reversing only) $399
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
TLG, what model Furrion is that? Looks like the Furrion website lists two models but not sure why the cheaper one says for reversing only?

FOS48TA-BL Wireless Observation (high speed & reversing) $499
FRC12TA-BL Wireless Backup (Intended for reversing only) $399

You want to get the high speed wireless observation system with mounting bracket (which is the nice cover around the camera). I installed one on my 26BH back in the spring and love it! It is $335 with prime on Amazon right now which is $25 less than I paid for it. I've found the range to far exceed the 100' that they advertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #13
TLG

Its the observation camera. I bought it on EBAY for 319.99. The next day the same seller lowered the price to 289.99. I emailed them and they refunded 30.00 to my paypal account. The seller was rvliquidators, but they are Palm Beach RV. Was still on there yesterday.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:56 AM   #14

Quick connectors

Quote:
There is no switch on our 36FBTS. Jayco customer service at first said it was there, but after several emails they confirmed with one of the line supervisors that some campers were built without it. I just clipped off the clearance light, put on some of those quick connectors, and plugged it in. I also put the connectors on the light in case I want to put it back on.
Hey TLG,
Install looks great. I was wondering what exactly you used for quick connectors? What gauge did you use?
Found this type on Amazon: Pro Trucker 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Wire Harness SAE Connector Bullet Lead Cable - (10 Gauge / 24")
I have a 2016 Pinnacle 36FBTS and I thought I might give your mod a go. How long did it take you to install it? Did you have any issues?
Old 08-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #15
TLG

I think the connectors are called "bullet" connectors. There's a male and female. Got them and the rubber grommet off the shelf at Lowes. Just crimp on. The wires on the camera are red and black and the wires on the camper are white and black. On the camper the black is positive and on the camera red is positive. I also picked up a couple stainless screws to mount the camera. The reflector was laying around in my tool cabinet. Probably off a motorcycle. Put a small amount of silicon around the grommet and a small bead behind the camper gasket. If you count the time thinking about it and planning it took me four months, but actual install time was an hour at best. Rather than hook it up to the truck to test the power, I just used a jumper wire on the main pig tail like folks use to turn their running lights on at the camp ground. It really is that easy. The only reason I decided to do it myself was I didn't like the exposed wire going from the camera to the power light. Every install from the factory or dealer had that. I assume the reason is that they mount the camera further down the wall and there's insulation behind that location.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
I think the connectors are called "bullet" connectors. There's a male and female. Got them and the rubber grommet off the shelf at Lowes. Just crimp on. The wires on the camera are red and black and the wires on the camper are white and black. On the camper the black is positive and on the camera red is positive. I also picked up a couple stainless screws to mount the camera. The reflector was laying around in my tool cabinet. Probably off a motorcycle. Put a small amount of silicon around the grommet and a small bead behind the camper gasket. If you count the time thinking about it and planning it took me four months, but actual install time was an hour at best. Rather than hook it up to the truck to test the power, I just used a jumper wire on the main pig tail like folks use to turn their running lights on at the camp ground. It really is that easy. The only reason I decided to do it myself was I didn't like the exposed wire going from the camera to the power light. Every install from the factory or dealer had that. I assume the reason is that they mount the camera further down the wall and there's insulation behind that location.
Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed explanation. That is very helpful. I really like the place you installed it. I think the having the antennae that high will pay dividends with reception. I imagine it gives a really good view of things as well. I have a Lowes not too far so that will be very convenient. This will be one of my fall projects. Will keep you posted.