Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

Installing a ceiling fan in a Eagle HT

I would like to install a ceiling fan in a 2018 Jayco HT. It gets hot in Texas and in West Texas there are not a lot of trees so the AC has to work overtime. My solution was to get a ceiling fan to help circulate air. However, an independent RV technician I've used thought that this was not a good idea as the only way to mount it in the center of the living room was to attach it to the ceiling tiles. He did not think it possible to add bracing. Thus, he predicted it would fall down in 3 months. I called the dealer and they seemed to know even less. They said to bring it in and they would take a look at it. It would seem to me that the dealer who sells these 5th wheels would know whether an after-market ceiling fan could be added or not.
Anybody have any experience with doing this?
fatheraccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #2

You could get a roof framing schematic from Jayco. Call them with your vin# and they'll send you one.

So you've ruled out using a fan on the floor to improve the air flow? We've been using a tower fan and have been very pleased with it. It is also easy to lay it on the floor for travel. A ceiling fan would have to endure a lot of punishment when traveling.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Mine came with one when new. It is inset in a pre-framed ceiling vent. I can see the framing on the roof when it is wet with dew.

I would not attempt it without a ceiling drawing and a plan to power it. A Floor fan would be lot less headaches.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:14 AM   #4

I had the dealer install a Deluxe Maxxair in mines with remote it work good, it's one of the best thing I could have done.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #5

Big1,
What location did they install the max air? is it in the living room / kitchen area?
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #6

We have the max air vent fan and the ceiling fan. And yes were weird full timers cuz the DW like her rotating fan sitting on the counter blowing air right on her. Maybe its the change.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
We have the max air vent fan and the ceiling fan. And yes were weird full timers cuz the DW like her rotating fan sitting on the counter blowing air right on her. Maybe its the change.
Our 2019 model has a ceiling fan and I can NOT feel any air movement!!! Anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking it's because it's too close to ceiling?? Anyone have a suggestion? I'm super disappointed because we live in Texas and we have ceiling fans in every room at home. But the RV ceiling fan, worthless!!!!!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Our 2019 model has a ceiling fan and I can NOT feel any air movement!!! Anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking it's because it's too close to ceiling?? Anyone have a suggestion? I'm super disappointed because we live in Texas and we have ceiling fans in every room at home. But the RV ceiling fan, worthless!!!!!
Most ceiling fans are bi-directional...........they can blow up or down depending on what position the switch is in. Check to see if your fan has a reverse switch on it. Usually opposite of the on/off switch. May be worth a try. There should also be a variable speeds.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #9

Already checked directional button (it's on fan itself). There is only an ON/OFF switch on the wall to turn ceiling fan on or off. That's it.
There may be a string to pull on fan itself for high/low, I can't remember, will have to check that. But if there is, I know I pulled it already. Isn't that terrible I can't remember! :-)
Old 05-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Our 2019 model has a ceiling fan and I can NOT feel any air movement!!! Anyone else have this issue?
A ceiling fan in an RV is next to useless. Ceiling fan blades need to be 18 inches or more below the ceiling to allow proper airflow and RV ceiling heights are too low to make this practical.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Big1,
What location did they install the max air? is it in the living room / kitchen area?

Bathroom and we love it, it really move the air in or out but I do have the ceiling fan in the kitchen.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A ceiling fan in an RV is next to useless. Ceiling fan blades need to be 18 inches or more below the ceiling to allow proper airflow and RV ceiling heights are too low to make this practical.

Now that a thought one can go to Lowes or Homedepot to get longer blades.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Now that a thought one can go to Lowes or Homedepot to get longer blades.
Blade length isn't the issue. The blades need to be far enough below the ceiling to allow for proper airflow or the fan won't have air to move.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #14

Thanks ReWahoo, I thought that was the issue.
It's basically for looks :-)
Wish there was something to correct the issue, but there's not.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Blade length isn't the issue. The blades need to be far enough below the ceiling to allow for proper airflow or the fan won't have air to move.

Got it, so will their be a way to take that down and install the same one that you install in your house?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Got it, so will their be a way to take that down and install the same one that you install in your house?
Sure, but few trailers will have sufficient ceiling height to allow you to do so safely. Then again, I guess you could install the fan low enough to have good air flow and post a big sign at the door like they have at the entrance to some amusement park rides: "To prevent head trauma you must be under 5 ft tall to enter this RV."
Old 05-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #17

Wink

Quote:
..."To prevent head trauma you must be under 5 ft tall to enter this RV."

Call me a sick puppy, but I had to chuckle at that......

I was at an RV show a couple years ago and I -tried- to enter a pickup-mounted camper. It was one of those with a roof that could be lowered a foot or so. What I didn't realize was the height of the entry door opening itself was also reduced and I didn't duck. I banged my head solidly into the doorframe and I tore a big patch out of my scalp and jammed my neck pretty good..

I had also thought it would be a good idea to add a ceiling fan. But if there's not enough clearance for it to be effective, I'll stick to a portable fan.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #18

Carefully look at the way the blades are shaped to determine if the direction it is turning will force the air up or down. If the leading edge of the blade is closer to the ceiling than the trailing edge the fan will force the air down, if the leading edge of the blade is farther from the ceiling than the trailing edge it will force air up. If the blades are turning the wrong direction you can reverse the rotation of the fan if it is powered by 12 vdc. Expose the wiring to the fan and switch the wires )for example if black is to black and white is to white just switch black to white and white to black) this will reverse the polarity of the power to the motor and it will turn in the opposite direction. Good luck. Even if the fan is close to the ceiling you will feel air coming from it. It may not be as effective if it is close but it will produce air.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #19
tld

Just buy a 14 inch portable floor fan or even two of them. Will save you a lot of time and money and will circulate the air much better. Easy to store when not using.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Sure, but few trailers will have sufficient ceiling height to allow you to do so safely. Then again, I guess you could install the fan low enough to have good air flow and post a big sign at the door like they have at the entrance to some amusement park rides: "To prevent head trauma you must be under 5 ft tall to enter this RV."

Bingo! Don't do it and don't worry about it.

Tags
ceiling fan, eagleht