Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #1

Installing a Trimetric 2030 Battery Monitor

Hi all. I have a 2018, 26.5 ft RLDS Eagle fifth wheel. I like to boondock and currently use a Renogy 200w suitcase “portable“ solar unit. This unit comes with a monitor already mounted on the solar panels. I would like to monitor my 12v battery performance inside the RV, in the kitchen area, using the Trimetric TM 2030 monitor, with the shunt mounted in the battery compartment. The problem is I’m not sure how to wire it in because of the existing monitor at the panels, and my inability to see how the wiring reaches the batteries from the pre-installed Jayco provided plug-in. Can anyone help with my dilemma? Thanks
Whammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:47 PM   #2

Rather than worry about running extra wiring consider adding the WF-2030 WiFi module to the Trimetric 2030. Another option is to install a Bluetooth-enabled Victron Energy BMV-712 monitor. Both of these options will allow you to install the monitor in an easy location close to the battery and access it using a smartphone, tablet or computer. I installed a Victron Energy BMV-712 earlier this year. The Bluetooth connectivity works great right out of the box. Configuration is managed through the VictronConnect app on your devices. I haven't looked at the actual monitor itself since it was installed.

Another nice feature of the BMV-712 is when you install the optional battery temperature sensor the Bluetooth allows the BMV-712 to share the battery temp with other Victron Energy devices such as an MPPT Solar controller. This will allow the other devices to optimize the charging based on the current battery temps and avoids having to install multiple temp sensors.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I’m looking into that unit now. My main question though, is will this monitor still work accurately if there is already a monitor and controller mounted outside, on the suitcase solar panels on the ground. Basically controlling the solar panels output before it ever enters the RV
Old 06-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #4

There should be no issue with installing the Trimetric or any other shunt-based monitor. The shunt for the Trimetric should be the only thing that has a cable to the negative side of your battery bank. Any remaining negative cables would connect to the other side of the shunt. Since it's just a monitor it is only going to report what it sees across the shunt.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #5

That’s kinda what I thought. I installed a Trimetric system in a TT that I consequently sold. It was an easy install and I really liked it. I do like yours though. It seems a little pricier but I like it’s concept. You tube videos on it are straight forward and people seem to like it. It does have more options too...
Old 06-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #6

Does anyone else have anything to add?