Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Installing Gen Prep & Generator

Hello my fellow Jayco friends. I'm new here (this is my first post) and new to RV'ing in general. We just purchased a beautiful 2013 Pinnacle and it has everything except...generator prep. (We have Onan 5500w generator from another RV that we acquired.) I've read lots of opinions on this and other forums comparing on-board generators vs. portables. We already have a Honda i2000 but for those rainy, snowy, or just plain cold days when my wife asks me to go outside to power up the genny...I just want to push a button from the comfort of my roving castle.

So, could anyone here shed their experiences or knowledge with installing all the components necessary to run our Jayco with an onboard generator? I have found very little online about this topic. I figured I'd ask here before my local Jayco service center...which I assume will be happy to charge me an arm and a leg.

Thanks!
WhiteNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:19 PM   #2

I'd check with Cummins. I spoke with a factory rep at the Hershey show and it's a daily task for them to do this. They even offer wireless remote start, since the unit won't already have the preinstalled hour meter and start stop switch.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:52 PM   #3

The biggest challenge will be wiring in the transfer switch, especially if your circuit breaker panel is in the rear of the FW.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #4

Question for the OP, does the Honda meet you power requirements? If if does and all you are truly looking for is the remote start, Champion has a 3100 with remote start. For another option you could step up to a slightly larger Honda and then get a remote start retro fit for it.

How much is it going to cost to have an Onan installed vs. buying a generator with a remote start going to cost? If money for the project is no concern then sure why not get the onboard generator installed.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:53 AM   #5

I to have a Honda 3000iu. We just picked up our Northpoint 377rlbh two weeks ago and had a 5500 Onan installed prior to pickup. (Unit was generator prepped from factory). Prior to this unit I carried the Honda around. Problem is you have to run your powercord from the rear of most 5th wheels to the bed of the truck, or carry the generator to the back. Neither is convenient. Especially if your staying overnight in a parking lot or want to stop for a few hours in the middle of the day. You would have to secure it, or put it away when you went to bed or left to go inside, like at an amusement park.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #6

It's not like money is not a factor but I'm willing to pay to do this. I figure it'll cost a couple thousand dollars or could DYI it to bring the costs down. I just want to know all the pieces involved, etc. and hope to learn from someone else's experiences. Also, with two A/C units (summer) and fireplace heater (winter), I'd think I would need more than 3000 watts.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #7

oh yeah...and we have a washer/dryer combo unit that would need enough power when running.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #8

my '14 361REQS has gen-prep. The auto transfer switch is located behind the remote control wiring unit which accessible from the large storage bay. The power feed from the gen runs from there up to the front storage bay. The gen-prep included a fuel tank that I have removed as I don't have a genny. I plan to use a portable unit and either feed the trailer thru the transfer switch with a cord wired into the junction box or thru the regular shore cord. I don't plan to install a large genny as I want to go solar next year.

You can get all your wiring diagrams by emailing Jayco. They sent the full set for my trailer.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNite View Post
oh yeah...and we have a washer/dryer combo unit that would need enough power when running.
You figure you'll have enough water/sewage capacity to run the washer/dryer when on generator?
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #10

Thanks PlayersZ28! Yeah, I should be fine re: capacity.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #11

I added a transfer switch behind the panel in the storage bay,which gives access to getting wire to power panel.On my 2010 321RLTS there is also a small panel under the sink cabinet that is removed also.
I added a 50amp shore power plug to the front of rv so I could plug in my portable generator sitting between hitch and tail gate.we only plan on using it when stopped for lunch when on road as we have two dogs that have to have meds everyday for siezures.I would move it if running while sleeping.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote