Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #21

Gen set in Pinnacle

The new Pinnacle we are purchasing has the gen prep and am wondering if I there is a special harness needed if I buy an Onan generator and install myself? I've seen the posts about hooking the wires up which seems pretty straight forward. They want about $1500 to install and I don't think it's that difficult. Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Sagehornp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehornp View Post
The new Pinnacle we are purchasing has the gen prep and am wondering if I there is a special harness needed if I buy an Onan generator and install myself? I've seen the posts about hooking the wires up which seems pretty straight forward. They want about $1500 to install and I don't think it's that difficult. Any and all advice would be appreciated.
The harness is already there if you mean the remote start/stop panel harness. The junction box to connect the output leads to should be there.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #23

Thanks Earl, Are there remote start/stop wires that hook directly to the generator? I didn't look close enough when we were looking at the unit and it's several hours away. Do you have an opinion lp or gas?

Paul
Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Thanks Earl, Are there remote start/stop wires that hook directly to the generator? I didn't look close enough when we were looking at the unit and it's several hours away. Do you have an opinion lp or gas?

Paul
The remote/start harness will plug into the genset.

My 2017 Eagle 293RKDS only had LP as a prep option. I prefer LP over gasoline anyways. I'm not sure what the other lines offer as far as LP or gasoline.

If you have the LP prep, the genset LP hose is under the trailer zip tied rolled up. Just cut the zip ties and you can connect the hose to the genset.

Battery cables might be something you need to supply. You'll definitely need a tailpipe kit as well.

Earl
Old 07-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Happy to say that no special harness was needed with our gen prepped North Point. The inside start/stop was already in the unit as was the gas tank. The 'start/stop' is the plug and play part of it. Then you wire the genny to the wires in the box on the left side of your generator compartment (see posts before about how to hook the 2 whites from the genny to the unit) and hook up your gas. Now I had ordered the wrong Onan and had to plug the 'return' line but it's been functioning perfectly despite my error. Just a note, the unit does not start immediately (so if you're testing the way my husband did by pulsing the start button - get your fingers off it <grin>). On the inside start/stop, I push the rocker button down to prime and wait for the red light to show me that it is primed and ready to start and then start the unit by pushing up on the rocker. I have to restate my thanks to those on this site that helped us with the installation. (Oh and if you lift the 'board', you don't have to cut any floor away as it is already cut open for the mounting area). We did install a rubber flap in front of the opening so that the mud and dirt from the road wouldn't impact the genny as much. If it is a really hot day outside, we open the compartment to give a little more air for cooling while it is running. Only thing extra that we bought from Cummins was the exhaust pipe. I bought the extra long one because we weren't sure where we were going to exhaust it and so we cut it to the length that we needed .
Hope you love your Pinnacle as much as we love our North Point!
Moparmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #26

No need to open the compartment door. The genset pulls fresh air in from the bottom and blows back out from the bottom. Never ever run the genset long with the access cover off or you will disrupt the correct air flow. They are designed to be in that front compartment with no needed mods or improvements and with the access cover on. Opening the compartment door will only make the genset make more noise for the neighbors.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 07-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #27

I recently bought a used (only 3 hours) Onan 5.5 LP. So I will be doing the install before long. I ordered my trailer with the gen prep. I will also buy and use a Gen-turi exhaust stack. All the places I need to use my genset require a stack.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 07-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #28

That's good info. It has a fuel tank for gas and a place on the passenger side for one lp tank which I'm sure is intended for generator. My intention is to order one from PPL in Texas as they are currently on sale. I know the lp one is about $1000 more. Tail pipe was my next question, thanks for that.

Paul
Old 07-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #29

Thanks for more good info. I was reading your thread about the wires etc...Glad to have found this forum.

Paul
Old 07-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #30

Quote:
That's good info. It has a fuel tank for gas and a place on the passenger side for one lp tank which I'm sure is intended for generator. My intention is to order one from PPL in Texas as they are currently on sale. I know the lp one is about $1000 more. Tail pipe was my next question, thanks for that.

Paul
Shop around. Colorado standby and norwell both have excellent pricing with free shipping. You can get a 5.5 LP for just under 3900.

Earl
Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #31

We have the space for the 3rd propane tank also on the passenger side front but the generator itself is placed in the front compartment and the fuel system tank and set up is beside it. You are left with a small storage area on top that we use for extra hoses etc. We thought about using the genturi (my husband had made a similar system for our motorhome many years ago) as we have dogs that we 'kennel' outside the unit but in using the unit , we've discovered that we seldom notice the exhaust placement (it comes out to the left of the genny underneath the spare LP tank area). The dogs are now kennelled more to the back of the unit under the diningroom and fireplace slide outs. When we're using the genny, I place a table sideways in front of it so people don't walk into it. Doesn't even bother us when we're watching the o/s television. We bought our unit from CJ's Generators
Moparmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #32

Installed onan 5500 evap

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #33

Pics of my install

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:22 AM   #34

One more clarification. The big red wire that is zip tied with the remote wiring harness in generator compartment, that goes to the positive terminal inside the generator? Please reply. Connecting everything this morning. Thanks.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote