Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #1

Installing Onan 5.5 in North Point

I'm new to this forum and to all forums so please bear with me if this has been dealt with somewhere else that I can't find yet.
We have a 387 RDFS that is gen prepped from factory. We just picked up an Onan 5.5 gas for this unit and want to install it ourselves. While we hear that all the wiring and CO detectors are there already, we were wondering how this unit is vented. It has the lovely galvanized steel box in front beside the gas tank but the box is sealed with no air access. What do we do in order to ensure that it doesn't overheat and has fresh air access? Up til now we've used a portable genny but want something that can run both A/C units on really hot days to ensure that the dogs stay cool. Help?
Moparmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #2

The Onan 5500 pulls air in and out through the bottom. The exhaust also runs out the bottom. Thats why the door isn't vented. This design also makes the genset quieter.Look from the bottom of the trailer to see if the holes are there but not through the fire box. If they are there, then it's just a matter of cutting the fire box bottom to match.
If there is no cut outs or marks, you will need the Onan template to cut the needed holes.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #3

The entire bottom needs to be removed.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The entire bottom needs to be removed.
What will support the generator in that case?
Old 03-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

Mine was delivered from the factory with the gen installed, and it does pull air from the bottom of the unit. I'll try to get some pics of this, but I'd think that if you contact Jayco, they could/would give you their recommendations as far as the install goes.

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmisty View Post
What will support the generator in that case?
The steel frame members for it to sit on should be below the sheet metal.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #7

ahhh...thank you. . . I'll take a look at it as soon as the snow melts enough to access it.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

Thank you...I sent Jayco an email today but did not expect a reply immediately so thought that I'd pick the collection brains on this forum.
I would appreciate photos if you are able to grab some. Our trailer sale places are closed til the 1 April and I haven't any plans for trips to Southern Ontario til we're ready to leave at the end of April. I do appreciate everyone's answers.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:46 AM   #9

My ordered 2017 Eagle 293RKDS is built and waiting for delivery to the dealer. I ordered generator prep and plan to install a Onan 5500. While I have worked on these RV Onans for many years, I've never installed one. I've repaired them in the coach and removed and reinstalled them. Never did a new install. I know Onan sells templates to make the cuts and holes. My guess is the holes are there but the fire box needs cut or the holes are perforated or marked. Or the template may need ordered. Heck the template may come with the genset. I doubt that, Onan doesn't like to give anything. You have to pay for the service manuals where generac issues them free in PDFs.

Keep us posted on what you find/need to do.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #10

Onan 5.5 into North Point 387 RDFS

Hi Everyone
Well, we managed to put the genny in the genny compartment and everyone is correct. All that you have to do is to remove the rubber covered plywood and the compartment is open with the support brackets exposed. Easy peasy pie <grin>.
Our next dilemma is how to hook up the 30 amp generator to the 50 amp RV (and no , we didn't realize that this was going to be a problem and no-one mentioned it when I ordered the genny <sigh>). I have a 4 x 4 junction box in the compartment with 4 large wires (#10) coming out of it and I have 3 feet of wire coming out of the genny with what looks like #12 wire size and 5 wires. The Jayco tech rep was no help as he has no idea what to do. I do have photos of the 2 and have attempted to attach them. So I'm begging for help again. I suggested to my husband that we attach a 50 amp female plug to the junction box and a 30 amp male plug to the generator and use a pigtail to join the two together. Would this work? Thanks for your help again!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170320_180437.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	29816

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170320_180502.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	29817
Old 03-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #11

The 5.5 wires direct into a 50 amp coach/ fifth-wheel , but just like the 6000 quiet diesel it has 30 amp breakers. It will work just fine since that is what JAYCO would install.

One leg from the geny to black, one to red and white to white and green to green
Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #12

Thanks Grumpy. So do I put two white wires (from the Onan) together with the one white wire of the RV junction box? I'm at a loss of what to do with that extra wire.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Grumpy. So do I put two white wires (from the Onan) together with the one white wire of the RV junction box? I'm at a loss of what to do with that extra wire.
One white also goes to the frame.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #14

That makes the difference. Thank you ever so much! I knew that I'd find my answers here. Experience always counts.
Have a great day
Old 03-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #15

I mis spoke, just double checked mine all whites connect together in the junction box. Sorry for the confusion. Not like a whole house each leg is seperate, so whites go together.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Our next dilemma is how to hook up the 30 amp generator to the 50 amp RV (and no , we didn't realize that this was going to be a problem and no-one mentioned it when I ordered the genny <sigh>).
My understanding is that the Onan 5500 series lineup is rated at nearly 50 amps. At least that's what I'm seeing on their website. Why do you feel yours is only rated for 30 amps?

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
My understanding is that the Onan 5500 series lineup is rated at nearly 50 amps. At least that's what I'm seeing on their website. Why do you feel yours is only rated for 30 amps?
Onan only installs 30 amp breakers on the geny itself, same for the 6000 quiet diesel. Even when we had a 100 amp whole house, it only had a 60 amp breaker at the geny. ??
Old 03-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #18

So I'll put the whites together with the big white, green goes to the bare wire ground, solid black goes to the solid black on the junction box and the black with the green stripe attaches to the red in the junction box. Sound correct?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #19

Yep. Sorry for the confusion
Old 03-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #20

Thank you again