Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2019, 05:18 AM   #1

Installing Roof vent in area pre-prepped for AC

Has anyone installed a roof vent (Ventline or equivalent without fan) in a 5th wheel where the front air conditioner factory prep is located? I have a new 2019 30.5 CKTS and want to install a vent in the front bedroom area. I assume there is plenty of area open where the cutout would be for the actual AC unit. I think it should be relatively easy to cut the vent opening and install the blocking to mount it, and have the option in the future of installing the low profile AC unit.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:28 AM   #2

A 30.5? You will want a AC unit, not a vent. Trailer that size needs two units. I have a 293 and I wouldn't even think of only having a single AC. You may want to ponder on installing the AC unit instead.
Unless they changed things in the last couple of years, typically the prep has a vent in it already. The hole is already framed. Just remove vent and install AC unit. Sure you have prep? Is the 30.5 an Eagle or Eagle HT?

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
A 30.5? You will want a AC unit, not a vent. Trailer that size needs two units. I have a 293 and I wouldn't even think of only having a single AC. You may want to ponder on installing the AC unit instead.
Unless they changed things in the last couple of years, typically the prep has a vent in it already. The hole is already framed. Just remove vent and install AC unit. Sure you have prep? Is the 30.5 an Eagle or Eagle HT?

Earl
I agree with Earl here. Better to have a second AC unit and not need it vs. need it and not have it. We've got a 28.5 RSTS and we ordered the 2nd AC from the factory as it's ducted. Besides the extra cooling you get, it's nice to have a backup AC if the one of them has issues. If you go that route, you might as well buy a low profile unit but I'd still verify the total height from the top of the AC to the ground when hitched. This will keep you from running into low bridge situations.

Considerations: Typically AC units are 13.5K and 15K BTU. A single AC rig will most likely have a 30A power feed. Having 2 AC's will require a 50A power feed because they draw a lot of power when both are on. That said, there's a nice product called Micro Air Easy Start that you can add to the AC that reduces the power draw substantially. Some people run the AC off their portable generator with these.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #4

The AC prep opening should be sized correctly for a vent to be added. I’m a little surprised there isn’t already a vent there from the factory. The AC prep used to be wiring in place, remove the vent and plant the AC in its place. Perhaps a call to Jayco CS to get a layout of the roof in that area?
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote