Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Insurance Question

I know this may be pretty subjective but I'm curious what insurance companies everybody goes with for their 5th wheel? I'm with Allstate at the moment but the insurance seems pretty expensive for something I use part time (a lot of time spent in the lot). Are insurance agencies that are built for part time RVers? Thanks
Jarnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #2

Try Geico. There is a recent thread on here supporting great experiences with a major claim from Harvey in the forum. I have them and they prorate based on your # of days you advise it will be on the road.

Also Allstate when I had them only covered only liability, so make sure you ask the questions to your agent to be clear what is covered. We carry the 5 year new replacement package with Geico then after 5 years I get what I paid for the unit new in the case of a total loss.

Another discount I get is with my commercial drivers licence on the RV. Saves me $60.00 per year.

Progressive I hear is good too.

You want an RV specific policy and not just a rider to your TV. Once you disconnect you might not be covered.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

I have Progressive RV insurance. My vehicles are Erie insurance. Erie doesn't have real RV insurance.

I pay 500 something a year for my 2017 Jayco. I have replacement value insurance.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #4

Insurance

We over paid at State Farm for 20 years.We went to Safeco cut everything in half kept same coverage.Then went to GEICO they want the RV stuff bad.With my tow vehicle and they then insured or 16 Eagle 321 RSTS for like 12 bucks a month.Its just dollars in my pocket vs theirs.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
X.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #5

First year I had progressive and paid the premium in full.

A few months ago I switched everything over to Good Sam, they use national general insurance company. My RV insurance wasn't too expensive with progressive, but when I bought my new truck they wanted another 100 bucks a month, and my driving record is perfect.

Bundled my house, motorcycle, camper, truck, and car with Good Sam and am saving about 200 / month total. I couldn't pass it up. I'll probably have to 'fire' them in a couple years. I've never had an insurance company that didn't up my rates 10% every year. I was with progressive for about 10 years... too long in my case.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #6

Good Sam / National General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnae View Post
I know this may be pretty subjective but I'm curious what insurance companies everybody goes with for their 5th wheel? I'm with Allstate at the moment but the insurance seems pretty expensive for something I use part time (a lot of time spent in the lot). Are insurance agencies that are built for part time RVers? Thanks
Jarnae - We use Liberty Mutual for our home/auto, so I considered them first. When I got a quote, I wasn't very impressed. So I called Good Sam and they gave me a quote for National General Insurance. The rates were better, the coverage was better and there was less liability in case of a claim. The devil is in the details. After talking to the Good Sam rep, I felt a lot better about buying their policy. Here's a quick break down:

$585 Annual Premium ($49 Month)
$500 Deductible
RV Replacement
Tow vehicle coverage
Personal Effects
Vacation Liability
Pet Insurance
Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #7

We've got Good Sam / National General. They offer a storage option in their coverage where I can reduce my rates during the winter months.
Timbrens
blwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwright View Post
We've got Good Sam / National General. They offer a storage option in their coverage where I can reduce my rates during the winter months.
X2 here as well. I use the storage option as well during the winter months. that alone makes a big cut in my premium.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I have Progressive RV insurance. My vehicles are Erie insurance. Erie doesn't have real RV insurance.

Earl
Can you elaborate?
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #10

RV Insurance vs. Auto Insurance

Regardless of what company you insure your RV with, make sure you pay close attention to the actual coverage/limitations. I made the mistake of insuring a previous NEW 5th wheel with my automotive/home insurance company USAA. They were happy to cover the RV but applied their standard vehicle replacement coverage of "fair market value." Unfortunately, when my almost new 5th wheel was totalled following an ice storm collapse of my storage building, I ended up taking a pretty good financial hit with the RV loan payoff being more than USAA's computed "fair market value."
With a hard lesson learned, I now insure with Good Sam's National General Insurance which is specifically intended for RVs. Their policy provides RV replacement at the RV's original price of purchase which obviously covers any residual loan payoff. Surprisingly, Good Sam's insurance rates were significantly cheaper than original USAA policy.
Carnation, Washington
Dogrunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogrunr View Post
Regardless of what company you insure your RV with, make sure you pay close attention to the actual coverage/limitations. I made the mistake of insuring a previous NEW 5th wheel with my automotive/home insurance company USAA. They were happy to cover the RV but applied their standard vehicle replacement coverage of "fair market value." Unfortunately, when my almost new 5th wheel was totalled following an ice storm collapse of my storage building, I ended up taking a pretty good financial hit with the RV loan payoff being more than USAA's computed "fair market value."
With a hard lesson learned, I now insure with Good Sam's National General Insurance which is specifically intended for RVs. Their policy provides RV replacement at the RV's original price of purchase which obviously covers any residual loan payoff. Surprisingly, Good Sam's insurance rates were significantly cheaper than original USAA policy.

I used to insure my other trailer with the same agent as my cars and home owners......... State Farm. Seems with State Farm, there is no coverage on the accessories hanging on the outside. If stuff gets stolen, somehow, it gets lumped into your home owners and with my deductible of $1000.00 on the home owners, I would have had to pay for everything.
So, I switched to Good Sam/National General and have been very happy.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #12

I use Progressive for all my stuff. I switched last Jan after getting quotes from a bunch of companies.
Much like cable/satellite, you have to "fire" your insurance company every few years in order to get good rates.
If you don't watch them, they will all just raise your rates a bit each year, hoping you don't catch them.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #13

I always assumed that USAA was the cream of the crop...and the cheapest! I was wrong...just shop around and compare apples to apples and I'm sure you'll find a good rate. I saved $450/year by switching auto & RV to Geico. So I figured that I needed to shop around for homeowners insurance...no one could come close to what I was paying with USAA. So my lesson in all of this is that I shop around for insurance now every 2/3 years...or actually, I should say that I ask the DW nicely to find us a good deal.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #14

We have Allstate for our home & cars. We have Good Sam/National General for our 5ver & F450 because Allstate will not cover the F450.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #15

We use Amica for auto, home and RV insurance, believe we around $350 a year. They even send what they call dividend checks yearly back to us. Last year we got around $400 back.

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #16

USAA sends their RV insurance business to Progressive now. My 1 year policy with them is about up and I'm dumping them. My rates went up 45% from last year with no changes to the policy and no claims.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote