Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Interesting 325bhqs issue on today's ride home

Here's a bit of caution for anyone with a bunkhouse with a slide. It's an interesting model in that you can't access the room when the slide is pulled in. On our drive home from myrtle beach today the cabinet door near the tv in the bunkhouse popped open. No way to know this of course because you can't open the door to the bunk room before you extend the slide. When I extended the slide it ripped the cabinet door off the cabinet at the hinges.

Shouldn't be hard for me to fix the cabinet door, but this is a bit of caution to those with the same model. You will want to secure your cabinet doors to each other with bungee cords so that even if they pop open they will still clear the slide out when you open it.

I've seen the same thing with the drawer behind the living room slide. It can pop open and if it does it will definitely catch the drawer handle hardware on the slide out trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sean.harp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #2

Interesting and thanks for the info. Looks like we were both in Myrtle Beach at same time. We are still here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bud Man View Post
Interesting and thanks for the info. Looks like we were both in Myrtle Beach at same time. We are still here.

Which spot were you in? We were in 100. I think we were the only people there without a golf cart.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #4

sean.harp

Sorry to hear about your cabinet door, but glad you feel it's a DIY fix.

Just a suggestion, do you think a child cabinet door lock, like list one at Walmart or similar, could protect from the door opening again during travel?

We have a similar situation in our floor plan that if a cabinet door opened during travel we could have the same problem you had and are now considering installing child door latches as a proactive approach to prevent this from happening.

Thanks for sharing your info and caution.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #5

I'm going to explore my options once I repair the cabinet door today. I'll post my solution. I think either a cabinet child lock or a simple bungee cord may be enough to keep the cabinet doors from opening more than a few centimeters if they do pop open. That should provide enough clearance to miss the slide trim.

It's definitely critical for any bunkhouse room where you can't inspect the room before you open the slide. We had to get our daughter to slip through the partially opened door to move the cabinet door so I could open the slide all the way. There's no way to remove the door either unless it's open a good 8-10" to expose the screws on the hinges.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.harp View Post
Which spot were you in? We were in 100. I think we were the only people there without a golf cart.
1701 Ocean Front in Lakewood. Been here since the 8th.

'13 Suntracker PB 22
Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

Ah, silly me. For some reason, I thought you were also at the Myrtle Beach KOA. It's pretty nice there and a very short walk to the beach. We've planned a trip in September to an RV park in Fort Walton Beach, FL.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.harp View Post
Ah, silly me. For some reason, I thought you were also at the Myrtle Beach KOA. It's pretty nice there and a very short walk to the beach. We've planned a trip in September to an RV park in Fort Walton Beach, FL.
We've been coming to Lakewood for 8yrs and love it, so see no need to change. I don't think you could go wrong at any campground here.

'13 Suntracker PB 22
Old 07-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bud Man View Post
We've been coming to Lakewood for 8yrs and love it, so see no need to change. I don't think you could go wrong at any campground here.

Wow that place looks great! We'll have to try to stay there next time.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #10

Well, the repair was trivial. I removed the hinges from the door that was ripped off and straightened them with a hammer. Filled in where the screws ripped out with wood putty and let it dry. Was able to reattach the cabinet door like it never happened.

Prevention is now small bungee cords to hold both cabinet door handles to each other. Even if they pop open during towing, they will still easily clear the slide.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #11

Glad it was a quick, easy and painless fix for you!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #12

Also happy to see it was a quick fix for you, but your attitude about it is the best part of this to me. Sh*t happens sometimes - get back up, carry on, and helping others with the lesson. Kudos!
dhawken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #13

Thanks! That's one of the things I like best about this forum! There's lots of fixit-yourself advice and approaches that are documented here. And I'm more than happy to pass on my unfortunate mishap as a cautionary tale for others so they can avoid it.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #14

And for the rest of us, there are plenty of places where a slide can 'grab' things. Always check around them before opening/closing.

We've had stuff 'fall' on top of the slide during a trip and then get broken/jammed up when extending the slide.

Our current trailer has two cabinet doors that barely clear the slide. If they pop open during a trip the slide will rip them off as well.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote