Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Interior bulbs

What bulb do the interior lights generally take on these campers? I yanked one but there's nothing stamped on it. I thought I'd saved the packaging from NAPA but can't find it.
I ask because I'm thinking of switching to LED, but would like to see if there's an online source with better pricing than the locals.
Inspector 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #2

There are more than one kind of bulb used in the interior lights. If it pulled straight out (not twist) it is probably a T10 or Wedge Base bulb. There are a whole bunch of different part numbers for this basic bulb.
These are the replacements I used from Amazon; bought 10 each warm and cool to use in various places for about $2 each bulb. They are close in intensity to the incandescent bulbs, and the warms are a good color match. The cools I use in bathroom and kitchen where a really white light is better.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Before you purchase your replacement LED's do your home work.
The place that I have been getting mine from and have no complaints at all is M4 Products . They only sell quality LED's.

There are a lot of LED resellers out there and a good number of them redistribute the CHEAP China manufactured ones that leave a lot to be desired. The original ones (I purchased from China) started burning out LED's one by one, and the heat generated from them was 120+ degrees... they did not last long for many reasons. A lot of the resellers do not list the lumens of their bulbs and they show a wide range for their Color Kelvins, the quality mfr's list a specific Color Kelvin so that there is no question as to what color you are getting.

Careful on which color (see charts below). We started out with COOL WHITE, but it was too BLUEISH. Went to WARM WHITE but that was to YELLOWISH, DW is happiest with the NATURAL WHITE. I have increased the lumens from the original 100+ lumens to the our current 600 Lumens * 3 ceiling lights with 2 LED's each. Thinking of going with 800 Lumens LED's which are brighter next.

We decided to put 2 BRIGHT WHITE bulbs (600 Lumens each) in the light above the sink where the meal preparations take place... another great decision.

I included a bulb comparison chart to make your transition easier. I know a lot of people say that the QUALITY LED's are expensive, so start replacing them 1 by 1.

Good Luck!!!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Kelvin Color Temperature Scale.jpg   LED - M4 - Sample Light  Colors.jpg   LED Bulb Cros Reference Chart.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

Mustang has good advice. We've replaced the bulbs in 2 TT's (so far) with great results. I try to match lumens and color temperature (Kelvin) when replacing a bulb. A Google search of the targeted bulb type will yield these values. I then shop for a suitable LED replacement.
If I want a brighter light, look for more lumens. I like the color of most incandescent bulbs which is around 3000K IIRC.
Our current 5er had 26 halogen bulbs in 2 wattages that I replaced. I don't recall the watt values so I'll call them big/small. I bought replacements from eBay sellers in China. After 2+ years I've had 2 small failures and no big failures. I bought several spares to cover this. Mine are not hot, warm yes, but a huge temperature difference over the halogen bulbs.
The LEDs I would see in the RV stores were WAY overpriced compared to the China direct ones but the US prices seem to be coming down.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:39 AM   #5

That's what I came here for, advice from those who have been there. Thank you.
I know one thing, the incandescents that are in now seem to get plenty hot. They're the flat base type, pictured is one of them. I believe that all my ceiling interior lights are this type.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0349.jpg  
Old 09-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #6

Search LED RV Lights in Amazon.com there are lots there... just watch the color temp of the light.. You do not want the ones that go to the blue end of the spectrum..

On a side note do not ever touch the glass bulb of the incandescent bulb you have shown with your fingers.. always use a Kleenex or cloth to pull it out or insert a new one. the oil in your fingers etch the glass and will cause it to blow out faster.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

I note that some replacements I see note that they are not for RV use. What voltage should these things be when used in a camper with power converter?
Old 09-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
I note that some replacements I see note that they are not for RV use. What voltage should these things be when used in a camper with power converter?
To answer your first question, your bulb is either a #912 or #921. Sometimes you have to look at it under a microscope to find the number. Not ALWAYS marked, but a trip to a parts store, and carefully comparing the size of the filament should get you the right one. Both are 12 volt bulbs, and very common.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
Quality bulbs are listed in a range of operational voltages. My LED's are rated at 10VDC- 30VDC. You need to make sure your LED voltage is rated greater than 15VDC as the TT chargers can surge to greater than 15 VDC. There is also 2 different light measuring methods for LED's, Calculated Lumens and Visible Light Index. Use the visible light index as your guide, as that is a more commonly used method.

I measured the amperage of the old wedge type regular RV bulb that came with the TT and it had a reading of 1.1Amps (PER BULB) and our TT had a total of 25 of those bulbs in it. So if you turned on all the lights, you guessed I.. just under 28 Amps. So what do the replacement LED's use.. each of the 600 Lumens LED's use .18 Amps, with all 25 of the LED's on at the same time that comes out to around 4.5 Amps... Granted we never have all the lights on at one time, but it is a useful reference. We average 8 LED's on all day and evening, until we call it quits for the day. That is about 1.4 Amps while we are up, or 16Ah a day (16 hours). No problem... the SOLAR cares for it all.

Hope this helps,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #10

Something I did that I really like is to install a Red LED Bulb in the kitchen just as you come in the front door. Several things I like about this is when you come inside at night the bright light of a standard bulb doesn't kill your night vision, and when I get up early in the morning to get coffee ready I'm not over powered by bright white light. Also in the evening you can see outside.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Before you purchase your replacement LED's do your home work.
The place that I have been getting mine from and have no complaints at all is M4 Products . They only sell quality LED's.

There are a lot of LED resellers out there and a good number of them redistribute the CHEAP China manufactured ones that leave a lot to be desired. The original ones (I purchased from China) started burning out LED's one by one, and the heat generated from them was 120+ degrees... they did not last long for many reasons. A lot of the resellers do not list the lumens of their bulbs and they show a wide range for their Color Kelvins, the quality mfr's list a specific Color Kelvin so that there is no question as to what color you are getting.

Careful on which color (see charts below). We started out with COOL WHITE, but it was too BLUEISH. Went to WARM WHITE but that was to YELLOWISH, DW is happiest with the NATURAL WHITE. I have increased the lumens from the original 100+ lumens to the our current 600 Lumens * 3 ceiling lights with 2 LED's each. Thinking of going with 800 Lumens LED's which are brighter next.

We decided to put 2 BRIGHT WHITE bulbs (600 Lumens each) in the light above the sink where the meal preparations take place... another great decision.

I included a bulb comparison chart to make your transition easier. I know a lot of people say that the QUALITY LED's are expensive, so start replacing them 1 by 1.

Good Luck!!!

Don
Thanks, that saves me from purchasing stuff and then being disappointed, and I'm sure I'm not alone when I do I never send it back because of the hassle, plus fuel prices.
boise49ers is offline   Reply With Quote