Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #1

Inverter and Residential Fridge question

I am looking for expert advise. As I am not sure how this is even set up or works so I am asking opinions for my crazy thoughts. I am Full time in my Pinnacle and it came with the residential refrigerator. I know it is run off of the invertor in the storage hull and plugged in somewhere under the stove? What else does the invertor run? I know it converts 12 volts from the battery to 120 for the fridge. So is there a separate battery charger? I guess what I am trying to find out is if I can Plug the Fridge into a regular 120 volt shore power plug and shut off the inverter? Seems to be a round about way of powering the fridge.Thinking of trying to save wear and tear on the invertor until it is needed? Unfortunately I read thru the owners manual and it is so general the way it tells you how things work. I have a panel that has a Xantrex freedom display but I find NOTHING in the owners manual on this item. A lot of things in the owners manual show older items used and are not up to date on what is in my 19 Pinnacle. Guess that will be the next thing I look into when I finish writing this! So tell me if I am crazy! I can take it! HAHA

priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #2

The only other outlet on our 2015 38FLSA was the one under the cabinet next to the stove.

You are not wearing out the inverter since it has an electronic transfer switch so when on shore power the 120 just passes through, the inverter is not providing the power.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

All of the outlets that are powered by the inverter are labeled as such.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #4

Yes the Jayco owners manual is mostly general information.
As Grumpy said the inverter is in bypass mode when you are connected to shore power. You can turn off the inverter on the Xantrex panel. Still bypass mode but no power to fridge if shore power is lost.

We were supplied with a manual for the Xantrex inverter in our package from the dealer. It is also available on line from Xantrex. If you would like to know about it's functions and available settings, I'd recommend downloading it.

The trailer battery is charged from the main power converter that has the 120vac breakers and 12vdc fuses and has a charge wizard that maintains the battery. That manual is also available for downloading.
Knowing all this, of course you can move the fridge plug to a non-inverter outlet and only have it function on shore power.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

I went thru all this nonsense with my Northpoint. The Pinnacle is probably wired the same way as only one 120v plug is powered off the inverter and it powers the fridge. Off the inverter there is a pair of thick gauge wires that will go to a seperate set of batteries that should be seperate from the main coach battery. Take a look at your inverter that's probably mounted in the top of the pass thru storage. Most likely it is a Xantrex Freedom X 1000w inverter. The "X" series inverters do not have a battery charging system in them. I had this same issue of the battery systems being seperate and only the coach battery is being charged when plugged into shore power. I spoke with a tech at Xantrex inquiring as to connecting the battery systems together so they will be charged and he highly advised against that. I ended up replacing my inverter to an "XC" inverter of the same size. I also got a new remote control panel for it. The whole thing cost me like $600. Best thing I've done. I now ever have to worry about the batteries for the fridge system going dead or needing a charge. It's all automatic.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote