Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #1

Inverter- Battery Advice

Just bought a Jayco 317RLOK 5th Wheel with a residential frig and Freedom X inverter. Also have 2 interstate batteries. I’m a little confused on what the Batteries and inverter can run. I understand I have everything when attached to shore power. When dry camping I know the inverter runs the frig but what about the TVs, radio? (I know the ACs won’t run) Any advice would be appreciated? Thanks in advance! Steve
ODA095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

Not trying to be a smart alek but the inverter runs anything the is 110 volts when you are on the batteries and the batteries run everything else. If you can turn your inverter off that should tell you what is 12V and what is 110. The big draws on your inverter will be anything that heats (Microwave, heaters, coffee pot etc.) and anything that cools (refrigerator). Some motors are a fairly large draw if they're big enough. Most of the other stuff doesn't draw too much but they all have an amperage rating on them somewhere. Something like 15A, .5A, you get the idea. Sorry I can't see your original post when I'm replying. To answer your exact question you can pretty much run anything you want, the question is for how long. You only have so many amp hours in your battery that are usable, about 50% of actual capacity. Think of these as gallons of water. I you run something that take 15 amps it will use 15 amp hours if you run it for an hour. It will take 30 amp hours if you run it for 2 hours. So it's really a math problem. Also, your inverter is probably only about 80% efficient so in order to use 80 amp hours in your coach you will draw 100 amp hours from your battery. The newer inverters may be more efficient but you literature should tell you the efficiency somewhere. Good luck.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #3

Wow!

I just went and looked at the efficiency of your inverter somewhere between 85% and 87% depending on the model, they really are getting better.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #4

In my North Point the inverter only powers the residential fridge. All other 120 outlets are dead until plugged into shore power.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #5

My RV is actually in the shop getting repaired to include the invertor. The invertor wasn’t powering my residential frig. It was powering the microwave and a few 120 outlets but not frig, TVs or the other 120 outlets. The service manager is telling me it should only power the frig which to me doesn’t make sense. I also would think since the invertor changes the 12 volts to 120 it should power all the 120 devices as long as there enough stored power.
ODA095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODA095 View Post
My RV is actually in the shop getting repaired to include the invertor. The invertor wasn’t powering my residential frig. It was powering the microwave and a few 120 outlets but not frig, TVs or the other 120 outlets. The service manager is telling me it should only power the frig which to me doesn’t make sense. I also would think since the invertor changes the 12 volts to 120 it should power all the 120 devices as long as there enough stored power.
He's right. They only provide an inverter big enough to operate the fridge in the FW's.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter