Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2020, 07:41 AM   #1

Inverter for CPAP machine while dry camping:

We recently purchased a 2020 Eagle 317 RLOK, and have had it out several times so far. Really are enjoying it! However, we are looking for a way to use the DW's CPAP when not hooked up to shore power. CPAP pulls 90W, and the rig will only allow for 60W when we plug in a inverter. Is there a good fix for this other than buying battery operated CPAP for dry camping? Thanks.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #2

Hi
Many Cpap machines have accessory 12 DC power supplies available.
I would contact your provider.
You may have to add an additional battery to your rig also to ensure you have enough power

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #3

I use a 12 volt power cord that I bought on eBay. I do have to turn the humidifier off when camping to conserve power.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #4

Just had delivered yesterday, a 12v power adaptor cord. I'm doing a one nighter for scouts tonight, and brinning my boat battery to test it out.

I installed a couple 12 volt outlets a few years ago, to charge our phones, so I have power where it is needed.

In the summer, I turn off the humidity chamber, and the air picks up what ever moisture it grabs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #5

I did not get to "test" it out quite as good as I would have like to. Just no time. I only got to use the CPAP for 3 hours (that was all the sleep I was allotted . I left the humidity chamber at home, so it was just the pump.

I did not verify the starting voltage of the battery. But I had it on the trickle charger earlier in the week, and it had stated it was fully charged. It is a group 27 battery.

I checked the battery voltage when I got home and it read 12.1 volts. So not good results if I had a fully charge battery. In a normal 7-8 hours of sleep, it would have totally wiped out the battery. This adapter would be way more efficient than using an inverter.

Maybe in August I can bring the battery to the bedroom and do a good test.

I did

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #6

I went out and bought a lithium generator "Aeiusny Portable Solar Generator 500W 288WH ". This unit will run my ResMed Airsense 10 CPAP machine for 3 full nights before needing to be recharged. You do have to run the CPAP machine without humidity and turn off the heated tube feature if so equipped. Also run it in D/C mode not A/C.
Prints74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #7

We have two CPAP machines in our household - Resmed Airsense 10. We take them with us while we travel in our Seneca and I built a separate power system for them.

First off - our CPAP's require 24v DC to operate and typical power requirements are 57w with the humidity settings ON and heated air tubing.

So rough calculations came to find 57Watts at 24v would be about 2.4A of current. At 8 hours of operation that would be about 19AH for the night and add the second one puts us just under 40AH at 24v for the two of us.

I looked into the 12v-to-24v inverters that are made for CPAP use, and they draw a typical 6.0A for one CPAP and has an efficiency rating of 87% -

I opted to go with something that we can rely on for a full nights sleep - and took two of our Group-27 batteries and built a vented battery box in the storage bay below our bedroom. The batteries are wired in Series with a 10A circuit breaker protecting the #10 cable running under the bed. From there a the supply ties into two cables going to a jack for Each CPAP to plug into with a patch cable that uses the special Resmed power fitting - and a 24v NOCO Genius charger.

Our real world test results:
Two CPAP's - Humidity and Tubing heater is turned off
We both can sleep with our CPAP's over 10 hours overnight w/o low power warnings on the CPAP. After 10hr of operation, the NOCO charger can finish the charge cycle in less than 2 hours of time - when the indicator light goes to 'float'

We have used our CPAP's for over 27 nights on battery alone, some of those nights were 10 days in a row while boondocking.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #8

I have to admit, I did not verify if my heated tube was on or off.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #9

I also have an Airsense 10. I have two options when dry camping.

Primarily use the 12V power supply. It has a physical on/off switch, so no power is drawn once I get up.

https://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/resmed...yABEgJo6PD_BwE

My backup option is a stand-alone 12V battery. I bought it from Amazon a few years ago. It is a small bag with a lithium battery pack in it. Recharges on 110VAC in a couple of hours. I really only use this if I didn't have a chance to charge the camper batteries for a couple of days.

Yes, I turn off the humidifier. I thought about trying to turn off the Airsense cell service, but have not gone down that road yet.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:53 AM   #10

Respironics Dreamstation here. I have 2 six volt golf cart batteries in my 5th wheel, Trojan T-105's. I use the 12v power cord Respironics sells and I use the humidifier and also the heated hose when needed. I have never even noticed a drop in battery voltage with a single night use. I do run a generator for coffee in the mornings and that is enough charge for the batteries to be happy and at full or close to full charge after a week of dry camping.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote