Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #21

It looks like this. Click image for larger version

Name:	58BF0914-4639-458C-96C9-B50409E783BF.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	70768
CascadeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Can you describe the inverter pre wire set up? I’m curious
Me too!

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #23

Lol. It’s just a loop of extra wire.
Marketing genius!
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Lol. It’s just a loop of extra wire.
Marketing genius!
That was a hell of a nice jester on their part. Find out which outlets are on that circuit. I'm guessing a couple of TVs, maybe the fridge. The panel should be labeled.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
That was a hell of a nice jester on their part. Find out which outlets are on that circuit. I'm guessing a couple of TVs, maybe the fridge. The panel should be labeled.
But you of all people should know there are a lot of people who shouldn’t touch that wire.
I hope there is some warning stickers somewhere. Even then, I know a few people who would just cut that wire straight up with the power still on with steel handled cutters.
Now strip the wire and connect it safely? Not a chance.
The US is “sue everyone” crazy. This looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:51 AM   #26

Quote:
But you of all people should know there are a lot of people who shouldn’t touch that wire.
I hope there is some warning stickers somewhere. Even then, I know a few people who would just cut that wire straight up with the power still on with steel handled cutters.
Now strip the wire and connect it safely? Not a chance.
The US is “sue everyone” crazy. This looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
You are absolutely correct. There are some people who should not own an RV. There are some that should not be working on one. There also are some people who should not get out of bed in the morning. We also have to deal with snowflakes on the internet. Being politicly correct and all that BS. Such is life. If you are stupid enough to cut a wire without turning off the power first. without being told well that is on You!!!

Old 06-07-2021, 10:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachRetreat View Post
I'll bet you're all over thinking it. Inverter prep only needs an extension cord end plugged into a standard outlet. Unplug the plug and put it into an inverter as a cheap transfer switch. Xantrex sells a self contained transfer switch that woul plug right in with no special wiring required. I don't know if this is what Jayco is doing, but I've seen it with other companies.
I'm intrigued by this idea. Could you just connect a portable inverter to the battery and then plug its AC cord into an AC receptacle in the trailer in order to power the AC side of the trailer (while the shore power plug is unplugged)?

Let's say I wanted to run the little fridge (2 amps AC draw) through a portable DC to AC inverter. Could I plug the inverter into an AC receptacle and then turn off all breakers at the distribution box except the breaker for the fridge?

I get the concept. People do the same thing with portable home generators...plug it into an outlet in the garage, for example, to feed a couple of items in the attached house. I just wonder if the same thing would work for an RV AC system.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I'm intrigued by this idea. Could you just connect a portable inverter to the battery and then plug its AC cord into an AC receptacle in the trailer in order to power the AC side of the trailer (while the shore power plug is unplugged)?

Let's say I wanted to run the little fridge (2 amps AC draw) through a portable DC to AC inverter. Could I plug the inverter into an AC receptacle and then turn off all breakers at the distribution box except the breaker for the fridge?

I get the concept. People do the same thing with portable home generators...plug it into an outlet in the garage, for example, to feed a couple of items in the attached house. I just wonder if the same thing would work for an RV AC system.
I wouldn't support what you described as a common approach for an RV.

What I describe is the same as the extra loop wire shown in this thread. However, the manufacturer installs an outlet and 3 prong plug so that the concern of a customer cutting a live wire is removed. The customer would have to make their own wiring to expose the electricity. Of course, that setup costs more than a sticker.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:46 PM   #29

Quote:
I wouldn't support what you described as a common approach for an RV.
I get it. The "suicide cord" is highly frowned upon, though it is rather risk free for people who know what they're doing.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I get it. The "suicide cord" is highly frowned upon, though it is rather risk free for people who know what they're doing.
If your only energizing the circuit you plug into, probably not a problem However, an RV is only wired for 120V service. So if you have a 50 amp setup, the only way to get power to the full coach is to leave the main breakers on and to use a jumper at the entry plug. Just more things to get wrong. Also, unlike most homes there's lots of people roaming in close proximity, and unlike in the event of a power outage at home, they're all having a good time ( including the person doing the wiring). I just believe some of the awareness that occurs when doing it at home and keeps it "safe", is missing on a camping trip.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:46 AM   #31

Quote:
If your only energizing the circuit you plug into, probably not a problem However, an RV is only wired for 120V service. ...I just believe some of the awareness that occurs when doing it at home and keeps it "safe", is missing on a camping trip.
Yes, that's what I would be doing...powering only the circuit that has the recept that the refrigerator is plugged into. I would de-energize all of the remaining AC circuits, including the Main breaker, before plugging the portable inverter in with the male-to-male cord.

For the short term, I'm just going to pull the shore power cord through to the inside (easy to do with my 2015 185RB) and plug the portable inverter into that. That way the entire system will function as designed and I won't get any warnings about killing linemen or imploding the universe.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:23 PM   #32

inverter option

here is an option for the inverter, if others are looking;

has the requirements and features in an All in One device that Jayco is requiring, from what i found. please do your own research to make sure it will work for you.

https://www.aimscorp.net/2000-pure-s...standards.html

not to costly in my opinion and worth it based on the return. fairly easy to install as well.

best of luck!
ReverendBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 02:59 PM   #33

Can someone tell me the location for the loop wire to install an inverter in a 32bh? Thanks in advance.
laborers is offline   Reply With Quote