Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

Is it Okay to have lippert auto level raise the wheels off the ground?

A couple of times on our first trip with our 28.5 RLTS I didn't have the front gear in a low enough pin, and in order to level the trailer, the system ended up raising the tires above the ground. I have since learned to lower the front jacks to a lower pin level and all is fine. My question is: we're heading on a multiple "one night stand" trip and was hoping to not unhitch. When I do that we are fairly nose high and wiggly in the trailer. If I attempt to auto level and put extra blocks in back the system will no doubt raise the trailer off the wheels. Bad idea?
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #2

Take some wooden boards with you to run up on to make it level for the over night.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #3

Yep, I do it all the time. I didn't spend money on a leveling system so I'd have to level it before hand. But only the low side lifts off the ground. If you're system is lifting all 4 wheels off the ground you need to check the rear sensor is mounted firm tight and recalibrate.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #4

you can also make it raise up farther manually if needed. If you have the small screen inside that looks like a real small tv you can manually adjust all tires off the ground. I put a few boards under the feet to be able to raise it higher, but it comes in handy for maintenance stuff where you need one or all the wheels off the ground. No need for a jack to lift the trailer. Or several jacks if you need all the tires off the ground.

For instance if you want to do the wet bolt kit that is so common, many people pay to have it done just so they don't have to jack the trailer. With the auto level you just push a button or two and it is up in the air.

There are ways to do it if you don't have the small touch screen also, i just don't know anything about that.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #5

We put a few blocks under rear jacks and manually lower to somewhat stabilize camper.And put a big note in driver seat rear jacks down. Old guy stuff lol!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #6

I don’t understand why starting in a different hole would make any different.
Level is level
If the front of the trailer is high when you start it will lower it until it is really close to level, front to back.
The back doesn’t lift until it levels with a nose high front.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:58 PM   #7

For what it’s worth, I just got a 2019 NP and the manual said to not let it left it off the ground and don’t use it to change a tire.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davolson View Post
A couple of times on our first trip with our 28.5 RLTS I didn't have the front gear in a low enough pin, and in order to level the trailer, the system ended up raising the tires above the ground. I have since learned to lower the front jacks to a lower pin level and all is fine. My question is: we're heading on a multiple "one night stand" trip and was hoping to not unhitch. When I do that we are fairly nose high and wiggly in the trailer. If I attempt to auto level and put extra blocks in back the system will no doubt raise the trailer off the wheels. Bad idea?
This summer I started not hitching for 1 night stays. I set my front gear with the pins with pads approx. 2 inches off the ground to start with. I then just slightly elevate the front and then auto level with my buckets under the rear gear. Haven't had a problem yet and watch the hitch to make sure it doesn't elevate off the truck or lift the truck. If I remember right you start auto level with the front slightly higher than the rear. I guess this also depends on how level your sight is.
Attached Images

Mont Belvieu, TX
T&M_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #9

Might check with Lippert on jack capacity,our fiver Eagle each jack lift rated at 5K.
Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto leveling, tires off the ground