Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
Bama - complain to your dealer. Jayco has a problem with their paint process or materials, lots of them are having this problem. It should not fade out in 1-2 years.
JAYCO buys the caps, it's an industry wide gel-coat issue. Yes contact your dealer.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #22

I will be contacting my dealer. I have been making a list of a few things to have fixed. One of my slide toppers is rubbing on the corner of the slide and has made pin size holes in the topper. They have already replaced the same slide topper once for the same reason. The attachment arm for the slide topper is flexing when the slide is extended allowing the topper to rub on the slide corner.
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #23

There is no paint or clear coat on Eagles. You have gel coat fiberglass.
bearkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeller View Post
There is no paint or clear coat on Eagles. You have gel coat fiberglass.
bearkeller - are you certain pretty about that? I thought gel coat lasted much longer than base coat/clear coat. I think even my dealer thinks it's a clear coat problem. Now I wonder what process for repairing it is best.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
bearkeller - are you certain pretty about that? I thought gel coat lasted much longer than base coat/clear coat. I think even my dealer thinks it's a clear coat problem. Now I wonder what process for repairing it is best.
Yes, just gelcoat. Same as a boat hull except the trailer caps oxidize fast. It's so thin you can see the matting print thru.

I had no warranty on mine so I wet sanded it and cleared it in my driveway. I'll see how it stands up. If it fades thru the clear then I'll remove the rest of the graphics and color match it to the sides and base/clear it.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #26

Like the last post says, gel coat no paint. I had a 2005 Mobile Suites that had a poor gel coat job and faught it for years. Both on the caps and side walls. Ended selling it last summer and bought a 2019 Pinnacle. Spent $10k for full body paint just because of the issues with my MS. The entire exterior of the unit is painted and 2 coats of clear coat is applied. You might look into a product called New Glass II. Used it on my MS and it did help a lot.
bearkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #27

I have a 2017 Jayco HT under warranty and front cap gelcoat is fading. My dealer filed a claim and was it denied today 12/11/18 by Jayco. Per Jayco the two year warranty does not cover fading or discoloration of exterior fiberglass or plastic.
Has anybody successfully had Jayco repaint a front cap within the last year. Per my contact at Jayco, Jayco has never paid for repainting of the front cap

Thanks
Bobbyc28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyc28 View Post
I have a 2017 Jayco HT under warranty and front cap gelcoat is fading. My dealer filed a claim and was it denied today 12/11/18 by Jayco. Per Jayco the two year warranty does not cover fading or discoloration of exterior fiberglass or plastic.
Has anybody successfully had Jayco repaint a front cap within the last year. Per my contact at Jayco, Jayco has never paid for repainting of the front cap

Thanks
There have been a load of threads about faded caps and some who had warranty indicated that Jayco covered the repaint. A search will get you lots of reading. Maybe they changed the warranty at some point.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote