Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #1

Is this a problem?

I was washing the bugs off this afternoon and discovered this. Click image for larger version

Name:	front cap discolored.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	45720
This looks like a problem to me, but I have never had this type of cap before. There seems to be some discoloration at the top. The trailer is only a month + old, even though it is a 2018.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #2

Looks like a gel coat issue. Something like that happened to my old Forest River product. If you are under warranty Jayco may fix that for you.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:48 AM   #3

My 2017 Eagle 293RKDS is doing it too, fading. Mine also has cracks that are being addressed under warranty. The fading has happened since they agreed to have the cap repaired. They will be painting the entire cap now.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:21 AM   #4

I have the same issue on my 2018 BHDS. I need to find time to file a warranty claim.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #5

A foot or so to the right of the Jayco bird is some sort of circular spot. It may be a caused by a speck of dirt on the lens of the camera, a reflection, or something else that is not an issue. However, I suggest taking a close look at it to make sure.

To me, the discoloration at the top near the roof line appears to be just a mottled reflection of trees and sky;and as always, I could be wrong.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #6

Yeah, I saw that spot. It was on all my photos for the last two days. Something on my phone lens, I guess.

I should have added, the area at the top feels rough, not smooth like the rest of the cap.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Yeah, I saw that spot. It was on all my photos for the last two days. Something on my phone lens, I guess.

I should have added, the area at the top feels rough, not smooth like the rest of the cap.
Needs addressed. Will only get worse and spread. Mine started at the top like yours. It's down going lower and a new area appeared.

Earl
Old 11-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
not smooth like the rest of the cap.
Just a recommendation, sometimes the warranty work takes weeks or longer to be completed. If you have only had this rig one month, lets keep it for a while and keep shaking the rig down to see what other issues surface. Then plan to take the camper in when it's convenient for you to be without it for several weeks/months.

I have literally picked my camper up from the dealer only to take it back a few weeks later. It's maddening if you don't plan the dealer trips right. If you are not going to use it this winter at all, then I guess this is as good of a time as any.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #9

I'm not a full timer. So I drop my trailer off for warranty repairs over the winter. Pick it up done and ready for spring. Gives them plenty of time.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 11-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #10

Front cap

Also, pay really close attention to the fiberglass on the front cap. While washing mine several months ago (I had my reading glasses on ) and closely inspected the paint on my 2017 27.5 rlts unit. I saw fine, little cracks in the cap, by the led lights. I then also found more cracks higher up. I took it to my dealer (still under warranty) and Jayco is replacing my whole front cap. I can only hope there are changes to the new cap, or may happen again ?!?
Old 11-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #11

The front cap on mine was replaced under warranty for fading and cracking. Dropped it off at the dealer in November and picked it up in March. For whatever reason, I was thinking that Jayco had fixed the faded cap issue. Apparently not.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoAl View Post
The front cap on mine was replaced under warranty for fading and cracking. Dropped it off at the dealer in November and picked it up in March. For whatever reason, I was thinking that Jayco had fixed the faded cap issue. Apparently not.
Jayco approved mine to be repaired locally by a body shop. That was for cracks. Not sure if they will approve for the cap to be painted as well or if they will just replace the cap. I'd be concerned a replacement cap would crack and fade too. If the body shop repairs and paints it correctly, it will last a long time.

Earl
Old 11-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Jayco approved mine to be repaired locally by a body shop. That was for cracks. Not sure if they will approve for the cap to be painted as well or if they will just replace the cap. I'd be concerned a replacement cap would crack and fade too. If the body shop repairs and paints it correctly, it will last a long time.

Earl
Yessir, you are correct on the body shop repairs. Took mine in for fading on top and as they were sanding it the cracks appeared. Jayco FINALLY agreed to replace it with an identical cap with factory paint. I asked the SM if the new cap would fade and his response was that he had replaced about 200 (I really doubt that figure) and not one had been back to his dealership for fading or cracking issues. That was 2 years ago. So far so good with mine.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #14

The same thing happened to my 2017. Along with some stress cracks in front cap. In dealer under warranty getting fixed.
RobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #15

Yes you have a paint issue! This has been a problem thru out the Rv industry.We found this out when our 2014 Sanibel made be prime time started to fade after 1 year. We where dump founded when it started and thought it was dirt. After two years we found out different! Called prime time and they told us that yes some caps were not painted correctly. They would not warranty it either. The rear cap started to do the same thing. We had the front cap repainted at our cost for 1500.00 dollars. Never did redo the back cap. This happens in the south more because of the heat. This is a factory paint issue . Good luck and happy camping!
Rv king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv king View Post
Yes you have a paint issue! This has been a problem thru out the Rv industry.We found this out when our 2014 Sanibel made be prime time started to fade after 1 year. We where dump founded when it started and thought it was dirt. After two years we found out different! Called prime time and they told us that yes some caps were not painted correctly. They would not warranty it either. The rear cap started to do the same thing. We had the front cap repainted at our cost for 1500.00 dollars. Never did redo the back cap. This happens in the south more because of the heat. This is a factory paint issue . Good luck and happy camping!
Unless the RV has full body paint the caps are likely gelcoat that is chalking and fading.

Mine came with no warranty so I did the the front cap myself paint. It chalked and cracked around the clearance lights. I sanded it and cleared it. I'll see how it looks after the winter. If it fades under the clear then I'll have to haul it to a paint supplier to get a match to the sidewalls mixed up and then I'll paint it to get rid of the dark brown. In that event I'd likely remove all the graphics that hit the front cap too. The odd looking mountain scene is already gone.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #17

Quote:
I was washing the bugs off this afternoon and discovered this. Attachment 45720
This looks like a problem to me, but I have never had this type of cap before. There seems to be some discoloration at the top. The trailer is only a month + old, even though it is a 2018.
Looks like you need Jayco to repaint the end caps.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #18

I have the same problem on my 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK. The clear coat prematurely deteriorated and got real hazy and faded. looks like it's been sitting on the Mohave desert for 15 years. I complained to my dealer and Jayco approved repainting it. They ordered all new decals and will have it for a couple of weeks. I'm not too happy about it but at least they are standing behind the warranty.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #19

I have the same fading on the front cap at the top on my 2018 293RKDS. Found it when hand waxing the front cap about month ago. The wax helped it not show for a few weeks but I can now see it again. I was hoping the lighter color of the newer front caps would help it not fade. Guess I was wrong. I have hand waxed the front cap on mine twice since I got it this year and that has not even helped.
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
I have the same fading on the front cap at the top on my 2018 293RKDS. Found it when hand waxing the front cap about month ago. The wax helped it not show for a few weeks but I can now see it again. I was hoping the lighter color of the newer front caps would help it not fade. Guess I was wrong. I have hand waxed the front cap on mine twice since I got it this year and that has not even helped.
Bama - complain to your dealer. Jayco has a problem with their paint process or materials, lots of them are having this problem. It should not fade out in 1-2 years.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote