Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #1

Isn't It Way too Early for Freezing Weather?

After an 8 day break in trip when we first got the Pinnacle we have been looking forward to our annual September trip to the Colorado Rockies. We will be there for a month and are really hopeful it serves us well. I was looking at the weather for where we are going, arriving next Tuesday, and it says a high temp of 31, a low of 23 and 70% chance of snow. What? We've been spending the month of September out there for a number of years and have never had anything like that, even if we stretch it in to early October.

I'm thinking those kind of temps are not something I want to be setting up in. The temps start moderating the next day and return to somewhat normal by the week end. I'm thinking of delaying our arrival for a day.

If we decide to go anyway my one concern is I've never towed in freezing weather before and not sure how the water lines would be protected since no heat is running. I'm thinking any residual heat in the fifth wheel would be enough to keep the lines from freezing for the couple of hours or so we would be towing at those temps before we could get hooked up at the campground. Something to be concerned about?
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:37 PM   #2
Site Team

It would take more than several hours to freeze plumbing that's not exposed for a long time. If it would make you feel better, you could blow out the lines until you get there.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:54 AM   #3

Now the Weather Channel is saying 30/19. Brrr.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Now the Weather Channel is saying 30/19. Brrr.
Its Fall!! The leaves will be turning too. They are here.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

Might just be worth it to delay your trip a day or two. As you said, setting up in those conditions, and road conditions will not be the best. That's the Rockies for you, snow can literately show up anytime. I remember camping in Yellowstone on the 4th of July and being snowed on.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #6

It isn't that rare, to have a few days of freezing anytime during the year. We almost always have snow on Pikes Peak, for the hill climb. We have driven through freezing rain and snow, on many passes in June and July.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #7

It IS 2020. You'd better be ready for anything!
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #8

You ought'a try living here!

Answering your question - the cheapest, safest thing to do is Winterize.

That said, I don't worry too much about mid-20's IF I'M NOT MOVING.
If you're moving then that's a lot of cold air flowing underneath sucking out any residual heat.

Me?
Camping - I'd not winterize.
Towing - I'd winterize.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
CAG

Several sources, including some people living in the far north, are predicting a very cold winter. Some up north have said the Geese started leaving earlier than normal.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Several sources, including some people living in the far north, are predicting a very cold winter. Some up north have said the Geese started leaving earlier than normal.
If you live in this area and believe a weather forecast, you be often disappointed.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
If you live in this area and believe a weather forecast, you be often disappointed.

I don't live in the area and I don't believe all forecasts. That statement is pretty much the same for most of the world. Animals tend to be better at forecasting.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
True Statement... Last night, we saw over 40 flying in from the north. We have already had the temp's drop 50F in 24 hours last week.. I'm betting on a BIG Winter, we are going to be heading south for at least 6-months too!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #13

A really cold, really snowy winter would be par for the course for 2020. I'm hoping to camp until October here, as I did last year. But we also got a lot of snow on Halloween last year. Foreshadowing of 2020 I guess.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:17 AM   #14

Denver recorded snow as early as September 3, 1961, so it has happened before.

Denver Area Snow Statistics
Earliest Date of First Snow: September 3, 1961
Latest Date of First Snow: November 21, 1934
Average Date: October 18th
Old 09-09-2020, 07:22 AM   #15

My truck this morning. Goodland, Kansas. The roads are fine for finishing our trip but hooking up will not be fun. I hope the ice breaks off our slide toppers when we roll in the slides in a couple of hours.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0414 (2).jpg  
Old 09-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
After an 8 day break in trip when we first got the Pinnacle we have been looking forward to our annual September trip to the Colorado Rockies. We will be there for a month and are really hopeful it serves us well. I was looking at the weather for where we are going, arriving next Tuesday, and it says a high temp of 31, a low of 23 and 70% chance of snow. What? We've been spending the month of September out there for a number of years and have never had anything like that, even if we stretch it in to early October.

I'm thinking those kind of temps are not something I want to be setting up in. The temps start moderating the next day and return to somewhat normal by the week end. I'm thinking of delaying our arrival for a day.

If we decide to go anyway my one concern is I've never towed in freezing weather before and not sure how the water lines would be protected since no heat is running. I'm thinking any residual heat in the fifth wheel would be enough to keep the lines from freezing for the couple of hours or so we would be towing at those temps before we could get hooked up at the campground. Something to be concerned about?

A few things come to mind:
* Tire chains for your TV and the Rig (just in case)
* The internal pipes will be fine as long as there's any kind of heat inside the rig. You're most likely insulated underneath as well so not too much to worry about there.
* The fresh water/city water feed will need to be insulated.
* If you're staying for a month in the same place, you might consider a skirt for the bottom of your rig.

* Since it'll be COLD outside and you'll have the heat on, you might have issues with condensation. A dehumidifier will help offset that problem.

* Last but not least - common sense is always a good thing to use! LOL

Good Luck - have fun!
Old 09-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #17

We have had snowfall in august here in Alberta, [emoji31]
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #18

Global warming hard at work!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #19

As for towing in the winter wonderland, gosh, the ice would be on my mind. I grew up in Colorado, and mostly we would bet on whether the first snow would be in October or after. Since I was a tyke in '61 when it snowed in September last, I dont remember it.

Yeah!! Global climate change (or as some call it..warming) is definitely becoming obvious. Here in Southern Nevada we have been breaking high temperature records like crazy, so the opposite of what the Rockies are getting. In either case, its making itself known!!

Safe travels when you are out there. I cant think of a more beautiful place than pretty much anywhere in the rockies, Colorado especially. Happy trails!!
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvernelle View Post
Yeah!! Global climate change (or as some call it..warming) is definitely becoming obvious. Here in Southern Nevada we have been breaking high temperature records like crazy, so the opposite of what the Rockies are getting. In either case, its making itself known!!
The ICE AGE started about 2.6 million years ago and ended about 12,000 years ago. Weather records have only been kept since 1880 (140 Years). I totally agree the planet is getting warmer, but Mother Nature does what Mother Nature wants. How did the ICE AGE start? It's called cycles... but of course we never talk about that.