Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2020, 04:23 AM   #1

Jack recommendations

We have a Northpoint 377 and I'd like to start repacking my own wheel bearings. I'm curious what everyone is using for jacks and stands and if there are any recommendations. Thanks in advance.
lelandp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #2

This is/can be, a complicated subject. Far and away the safest and most convenient jack is a hydraulic bottle jack. Small, simple, lifts, holds and usually comes in a sturdy plastic case. But only lifts a few inches. If you're only lifting one side of a motor home or TT get a bottle jack that will fit under the axle at or near the spring shackle. The lift pad on top of the jack will screw out with your fingers to extend the jack (ram) to it's maximum height. Even that might not be enough to get the wheel off the ground given the short stroke of the jack and you might need to put some blocking, short pieces of 2 X 4 or 2 X 6 under the jack before you start to lift. You'll never get it off the ground with a bottle jack if you try to lift it at the frame. Not enough stroke on the ram. If you have to lift from the frame, first, last and several times in between remember that lifting a load is dangerous and lifting by the frame is EXTREAMLY DANGEROUS! The jack you would need if you must lift from the frame is called a farm jack. Harbor Freight sells the one I have for less than sixty bucks. Fit and finish, not so good, value and function, excellent. And they call it the widow maker for a very good reason. If you decide you need a farm jack read and follow the very spirit of the instructions. Practice with what ever jack you decide on well in advance of when you need to use it. As to the jack stands buy good ones. Again Harbour Freight sells pretty good ones for a good price. What ever you get make sure you buy stands that are cast, not sheet metal. The sheet metal ones are sufficient if you need to hold up a riding lawn mower. And last, NEVER, NEVER, EVER! FAIL TO SET THE PARKING BRAKE AND CHOCK THE OFF SIDE WHEELS. Even if the vechiel is in your driveway and you're practising useing your jack.

I don't mean to scare you with all this. I do mean to emphasize how serious useing a jack is. For our own rig we have road side assistance in case we have a serious mechanical problem or flat along side the highway. We carry the farm jack and jack stands for the service I can do and in case of a last resort problem that requires lifting the motor home.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:33 AM   #3

Your Northpoint has a leveling system? Put it in manual mode and lift.

I always recommend Jack stands, find a set that is rated for your weight, and height.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #4

Here’s how I’ve done it. Build a “tower” for the jack and raise the frame about 6”. Build the tower for a jack stand.
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6591AFA-95D7-4E1F-BC19-03573B25C804.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	66524

Click image for larger version

Name:	1AC9D3B1-FA1F-4194-B7AC-A850AB5EC0EB.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	66525
The front is supported by the landing gear and my towers are behind the axles. After both sides have the towers in place I use the jack to lift an axle just enough to get the tire free of the ground and remove it. Lower the axle until it’s hanging from the spring. I can get all 4 drums free using this technique to work on brakes or the suspension (wet bolts). My bottle jack is a 20T which I chose for it’s stroke.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote