Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #1

Jayco 24.5 CKTS tow vehicle help needed

Kicking myself because, as a newbie Jayco HT purchaser, 24.5 ckts (2018) I fell victim to the marketing at the RV dealer (easily half ton towable fifth wheel they said) AND the Ford dealer who said he carefully checked the specs on the F150 I ordered and that I would be fine . I bought the fifth wheel and truck within a month of one another.

Buying the truck, I checked the Ford Towing guide carefully and my beefed up F150 was fine on payload and towing capacity. However, after a trip to the CAT scales today, I can tell that any load I put in the camper for more than a 1 week trip, will put me, potentially, 100-200 pounds over my GAWR. Out of an abundance of caution as my wife and I want to see the National Parks and tow in the Rockies, I believe I am going to have to admit my mistake, yell at my Ford dealer and upgrade, ideally, to an F250, Ram 2500 etc. with the right specs this time and a nice cushion in all the key categories.

Here is the question, in looking at used or even new F250s, Rams etc., online, how can I find the rated GAWR, GVWR etc. so I know I am good? Or is the only solution to call a dealer and have them send me a picture of the door sticker? I really can't afford to make the same mistake again.

Thanks in advance for any help from people more knowledgeable than I.
Monheganlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:11 PM   #2

I have a 2013 RAM 1500 and have towed my 24.5 ckts well over 10000 miles over many mountain passes in the northwest and southwest. The truck doesn't even know the trailer is back there with the 5.7 hemi. I personally would not be concerned about 100 or 200 lbs over the gawr. I owned a towing business for many years and I assure you that the manufacturers under rate the axles. That said, the whole Eagle HT designation is a marketing lie.
Idaho Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:45 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats, try not to feel too bad because most of us have been were you're at.

That 5'er GVWR is going to be 9,950 lbs and you at 20% tongue of that weight will be 1,990 lbs so if you go diesel that will put you still pretty close to the payload unless you go with a gas 3/4 you should be good.

So what is the payload of you 1/2 ton? You will run out of payload before your towing rating but really if you are only 100-200 over I would sweat it too bad, you can try to load it a little better but no matter you will be over on your payload.

Can you give us a little more info on your truck?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:03 AM   #4

Sounds like where you went over was axle rating. Any newish 3/4 ton will give plenty of room to spare on the axle rating with an HT.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote