Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #1

Jayco 28.5RLS

New forum member here; my wife and I have been RV'ing/camping/hiking for a long time. We have been fifth-wheeling since 2002 in a Sunnybrook 2850 bunk room model. Now, it's time to get rid of the old bunk room model.

We are looking at the Jayco 28.5RLS. At its most basic, we are looking for a fifth wheel that weighs 7500 - 8500 dry weight, has windows and chairs at the back, 30 feet or less long, has some winter camping capability, aluminum superstructure framing, and a large gray water tank. The 28.5 meets those needs fairly well, except it is 31' 2" long. The gray water tank(s) are large, but not as large as some.

I've got some questions that maybe some of you could help with:

1) Our Sunnybrook specs say it is 28' 8" long. From bumper to the front nose, it is 29' 6" long. The Jayco spec says the 28.5 is 31' 2" long. Does anybody know the actual -- measured with a measuring tape -- length of the 28.5? Or know how Jayco measures length?

2) I believe that the aluminum frame on the Jayco is welded. Have people experienced any issues with the Jayco underbody frame or aluminum superstructure?

3) Our old gray tank capacity was 74 gallons; the Jayco 28.5 has a gray capacity of 65 gallons. I assume this 65 gallons is in two tanks, one for the kitchen and one for the bath. Does anybody know the tank capacity of each tank?

I'd appreciate any answers or general thoughts.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #2

I hate to waste your time because I don't have any answers for you but, my parents had a sunnybrook just like yours and I have a Jayco Designer the same length and mine seems to be have much more room. However I dont have the chairs. All I can say is, I love my Designer and can't imagine ever leaving Jayco. Good luck, someone will have the answers your looking for.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
New forum member here; my wife and I have been RV'ing/camping/hiking for a long time. We have been fifth-wheeling since 2002 in a Sunnybrook 2850 bunk room model. Now, it's time to get rid of the old bunk room model.

We are looking at the Jayco 28.5RLS. At its most basic, we are looking for a fifth wheel that weighs 7500 - 8500 dry weight, has windows and chairs at the back, 30 feet or less long, has some winter camping capability, aluminum superstructure framing, and a large gray water tank. The 28.5 meets those needs fairly well, except it is 31' 2" long. The gray water tank(s) are large, but not as large as some.

I've got some questions that maybe some of you could help with:

1) Our Sunnybrook specs say it is 28' 8" long. From bumper to the front nose, it is 29' 6" long. The Jayco spec says the 28.5 is 31' 2" long. Does anybody know the actual -- measured with a measuring tape -- length of the 28.5? Or know how Jayco measures length?

2) I believe that the aluminum frame on the Jayco is welded. Have people experienced any issues with the Jayco underbody frame or aluminum superstructure?

3) Our old gray tank capacity was 74 gallons; the Jayco 28.5 has a gray capacity of 65 gallons. I assume this 65 gallons is in two tanks, one for the kitchen and one for the bath. Does anybody know the tank capacity of each tank?

I'd appreciate any answers or general thoughts.
1) The travel length (measured at the factory from the tip of the pin box to the rear of the trailer) is 30'-11". The pin box is extended for better backing radius.

2) The framework within the walls of the trailer is double welded aluminum. Most companies only single weld one side to save money. Jayco welds both sides of the tubing. The under frame is steel with outriggers that reach to the outside of the wall (most stop about 1/2" short to save money). The sidewall is laminated and vaccuum sealed. Jayco has their own lamination facility (my favorite part of the plant to visit when I'm there). Most companies pinch roll their walls, not Jayco. The whole wall is placed into a 40 ton press where it is held for 18-20 minutes for the glue to set and vaccuum sealed. The slideout wall will be the exact piece that was cut out of the wall. Walls and cuts are numbered so they stay together (better fit that way).

3) The gray tanks are 32 1/2 gallons each.

Now, I will let the others explain the quality of the product to you. We have been selling and servicing Jayco RV's for 37 years, in fact, it's all we sell in new. That ought to say something about our satisfaction with the quality.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #4

And I forgot to say (quite rude of me), Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, we are glad to have you.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum!

We have really enjoyed our 2009 28.5RLS! Had one minor issue with the black tank flush system which was a warranty repair. Other than that it has been the most problem-free RV (Scamper pop-up, Jayco hybrid, and Homestead TT) we've owned. Construction is solid, but I'll defer my knowledge to cciparts' reply on the specs.

We use our 5ver to tandem tow (See link in sig). Yes, I know, there was a high risk of voiding the frame warranty, etc., but we have not had any issues doing this, and the miles we have put on the trailer with the boat behind have not had any negative impact on the trailer itself.

I have a standard 5ver hitch. Some will profess to the virtues of a slider hitch, but with the extended pin box and the nose cap indentations, there really isn't a need for a slider IMHO. I've had my standard 6.5' box pickup at nearly 90º to the trailer on the incline of my driveway and still have a small amount of clearance between the truck and trailer.

Since the 28.5RLS meets your weight considerations and comes pretty close to your length needs, all I can give you is a thumbs up on this trailer.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #6

Wes,

Excellent information. Thank you.

I have a Pullrite Superglide hitch that I really like. I assume that there is a way to replace the extended pin with a short pin (I did this on my Sunnybrook; the new pin is actually about 4 inches behind the nose of the trailer, but I could still get my trailer at 90 degrees to my truck if I had to, in fact more than 90 degrees; note: I have never had to do this - yet).

Who makes the Jayco 28.5RLS frame? And the pin box?

A general use question: the lavatory is open, near the end of the bed in this floorplan. Does anybody have issues with water splashing from the lavatory onto the bed?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Wes,

Excellent information. Thank you.

I have a Pullrite Superglide hitch that I really like. I assume that there is a way to replace the extended pin with a short pin (I did this on my Sunnybrook; the new pin is actually about 4 inches behind the nose of the trailer, but I could still get my trailer at 90 degrees to my truck if I had to, in fact more than 90 degrees; note: I have never had to do this - yet).

Who makes the Jayco 28.5RLS frame? And the pin box?

A general use question: the lavatory is open, near the end of the bed in this floorplan. Does anybody have issues with water splashing from the lavatory onto the bed?
The pin box and and front frame structure are engineered to work together. Make sure you ask your dealer about changing it out. They need to ask Jayco if it will affect the warranty.

The frame and pin box are made by Leland (Dexter). The I-Beams are forged as one piece and are 10 gauge steel. On the 28.5 it should be an 8" frame, if my memory serves me correctly. Something impressing to us is the fact Jayco goes the extra mile and has the cross members placed a minimum of 4' on center, NOT 6'. The outriggers are a minimum of 4' on center as well.

We have never had a complaint of water slashing onto the bed, but maybe someone else can give you more insight on that question.

Hope this info helps.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #8

Look what we just got!

I don't know if your dealer has this yet, but we just got one in. It's the new Eagle HT Series 26.5RLS and it weights only 7,400 lbs. Once we get her all cleaned up I will post more pics.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #9

With respect to the 28.5RLS, is the Jayco "Thermal pane tinted safety glass" true double pane glass? Or single pane glass with some sort of heat reflective coatings on it?

Thanks for all the answers -- the bad news is that I have more questions...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
With respect to the 28.5RLS, is the Jayco "Thermal pane tinted safety glass" true double pane glass? Or single pane glass with some sort of heat reflective coatings on it?

Thanks for all the answers -- the bad news is that I have more questions...
They are thermal pane windows. I believe Edatlanta has been posting on the effiency of his windows in one of the other threads. He seems quite pleased thus far.

Actually, here's his latest: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=1459
Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #11

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum RVHiker! How exciting to be planning on a new RV purchase... even better planning for a new Jayco! Happy shopping and let us know what ya get
Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #12

Wes, I love the exterior on the new Eagle!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Wes, I love the exterior on the new Eagle!
I fell in love. Now I gotta figure out how to tell my wife there's another.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciparts View Post
i fell in love. Now i gotta figure out how to tell my wife there's another.
lol
Old 12-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #15

The 26.5RLS is a nice looking trailer. Since it's a brand new design, no one may have this information, but here goes:

1) On the Jayco site, there are no options listed; maybe they just haven't been listed yet. But I'm particularly interested in a 15,000 BTU AC option, the thermal pane glass option and the free standing dinette and chairs option. Are these available?

2) How does the frame and superstructure of the 26.5RLS differ from that of the 28.5RLS?

Thanks for all info.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #16

Quote:
The 26.5RLS is a nice looking trailer. Since it's a brand new design, no one may have this information, but here goes:

1) On the Jayco site, there are no options listed; maybe they just haven't been listed yet. But I'm particularly interested in a 15,000 BTU AC option, the thermal pane glass option and the free standing dinette and chairs option. Are these available?

2) How does the frame and superstructure of the 26.5RLS differ from that of the 28.5RLS?

Thanks for all info.
I am off today but will get that info for you tomorrow when I return to work. The 26.5 is still a Eagle SL so the are no structural differences. I have the full features list on my desk. Knew I should've brought the brief case home. LOL
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #17

Quote:
I fell in love. Now I gotta figure out how to tell my wife there's another.
Think she might figure it out when she sees a new RV in the driveway with you out there petting on it?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Old 12-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #18

Quote:
I am off today but will get that info for you tomorrow when I return to work. The 26.5 is still a Eagle SL so the are no structural differences. I have the full features list on my desk. Knew I should've brought the brief case home. LOL
Wes, thanks for taking time and patience to answer my seemingly unending questions - especially even thinking about them on your day off! As you can tell, we are very seriously thinking of purchasing and Eagle SL.

One more question - I've been trying to understand completely how the Eagle SL superstructer is constructed. Here's what I think I know:

Code:
          -- 4 1/2 inch arched truss *wood* rafters in roof
          -- 3/8 inch full walk on roof deck
          -- Vacuum bonded and aluminum framed sidewalls and floor
          --  But how are the front and rear framed and
              constructed?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #19

The rear is the same laminated wall as the sidewalls. It has been proven that laminated walls give you more strength than stick built ones.

The front cap is a single piece molded fiberglass that has metal support strips laminated into the cap. The support strips are what keeps the cap from flexing when running through high winds and faster speeds. Jayco's front cap process is stronger than most manufacturers. The framework for the front cap is jig built by their majority Amish workforce. It is an amazing process that I got to watch first hand a few months ago while I was at the plant. We were on break and I got to stand there and watch the guys make the supports. VERY, VERY impressive! Other than the lamination plant, it was one of my favorite moments.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
Site Team

That new 26.5 is one sweet looking 5er. And Jayco says it is a "half ton toy" on their site. I think it would take a pretty beefy half ton, although some of the newer ones have higher tow ratings.
Closed Thread