Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #21

I'll start by saying I've never towed anything. But when we were shopping for our 5th wheel, we spent months investigating weights and tow capacities and such. We have an F250 gas, and ended up buying a 28.5, with similar weights to your 30.5. We feel that we are at the top end of our payload for our F250. Do your payload calculations, don't forget that you and all your passengers and cargo count against your payload, and I doubt that you would want to pull a 30.5 with a 150.
-Update-
I just looked, and your 30.5 is a thousand pounds more than our 28.5 and we are pushing it with a 250. Take your payload rating from the door jamb, subtract your hitch, passengers, fuel and cargo. That's how much pin weight you can handle. If you fully load your 30.5, it's 11900# at 20% pin weight, that's 2380#. I doubt that you have anywhere near that payload available.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #22

F 150 will never make it with that load.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #23

Make sure your insurance is paid up. Please don't try it. I've been towing for 30 years anf would NOT try you combo.
LarryB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #24

Very very few F150's are Legally able to tow "ANY" 5th wheel. You have to have a high Payload and a very light pin weight. There is no way to do it unless you order the Max Payload package or have one of those micro 5th wheels.
The Max Tow package doesnt do it. With your planned combo you will be overweight (some weights grossly overweight) in every category. I tried it and bought the lightest pin weight 5th wheel (1028 they advertised) and I was still over max vehicle weight, over Payload weight and over Max rear axle weight.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #25

Please don’t do it!!!

I’ve been a semi-truck driver for 20 years; so, I know little bit about towing big rigs, weight limits and safe driving. Please listen to what other experience rig owner tell you. Your F150 WILL NOT be able to handle this FW safely. You’re putting yourself at risk and the people around as well.

Please DO NOT do this! I beg you....please!!
gilgrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorthMGOBLUE View Post
So I just purchased a 2019 Ford F150 with upgraded towing package and was going to tow 2015 Jayco JayFlight 27RLS, but now have fallen in love with the Jayco 30.5 Fifth Wheel with Middle Bunkhouse. My question is the 5th Wheel weighs 10,000 lbs and the truck is rated to tow 10800, am I pushing it. Most we trailer is about 3 - 4 hours from the house. Both the Ford and the Jayco say yes. I will upgrade to 3/4 ton in 3 years when I retire and we travel the county. What say you, am I safe to tow. Want the Grandkids protected and safe.
I have A 2018 30.5 MBOK and I am pulling it with a 2017 2500 HD Duramax. That trailer is heavy. Not sure I’d tow with a 1/2 ton. Great 5th Wheel.
ZooSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #27

Quote:
So I just purchased a 2019 Ford F150 with upgraded towing package and was going to tow 2015 Jayco JayFlight 27RLS, but now have fallen in love with the Jayco 30.5 Fifth Wheel with Middle Bunkhouse. My question is the 5th Wheel weighs 10,000 lbs and the truck is rated to tow 10800, am I pushing it. Most we trailer is about 3 - 4 hours from the house. Both the Ford and the Jayco say yes. I will upgrade to 3/4 ton in 3 years when I retire and we travel the county. What say you, am I safe to tow. Want the Grandkids protected and safe.
The dry hitch weight is 1,875. Add your fifth wheel hitch and rail kit and you will be well over 2,000 lbs before you put one stitch of clothing or gear into the camper.

Here is an idea for you. Get a 6x6 and cut it to fit between your fenders in the bed of the truck. Go to your dealer and have them set the camper down on that block of wood in your bed and see how your truck reacts. (be sure to chock the wheels of the trial and apply your parking brake.

I think you will be surprised how it will make that half ton squat!
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #28

This has go to be Dave Zeller. Good luck with your 5th wheel. Let me know how it goes as I would like to tow a 5th wheel with my F-150.
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #29

I have a 2018 30.5mbok. I tow it with a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 cummins. I've never weighed it fully loaded but it squats the rear of the pickup enough that everyone bright light me going down the road at night. I'm going to throw a set of airbags under it to compensate for that.

I always look at the HT sticker on the side of my trailer and think "Nobody would be stupid enough to drag this thing around with a half ton pickup."

My advise as an owner of the exact trailer you are looking at is dont do it without at least a 3/4 ton pickup.

FYI I asked the salesperson we bought the trailer from if they had ever sold one to someone with a 1/2 ton, and she said they would not let that trailer leave the lot hooked to a half ton.
dbellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #30

My suggestion is to enjoy your smaller bumper pull and learn how the truck handles it.
A year or 2 in the future there may be a fifth wheel that is even better equipped than what you see now. having said that, I wouldn't consider towing a trailer that weighs more than my tow vehicle. Good luck.
Will P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMarty View Post
First of all, both Ford and Jayco are going to say yes, they're ONLY concern is the sale.

Inside the drivers door on the door pillar are 2 stickers which list the GVWR, both front and rear GAWR, and the payload capacity of your truck as it left the factory.
You're likely to exceed those numbers before coming close to the towing capacity of the F150.

The 9820 lb Unloaded Vehicle Weight of the 30.5MBOK as defined on Jayco's website is the "typical weight of the unit as built at the factory... and does not include cargo, fresh water, LP gas, options or dealer installed accessories."
Meaning the battery, propane, 2nd A/C, generally anything listed as an option is extra weight and not represented in the 'unloaded weight' number. And that's before you put a single pot, pan, flashlight, camp chair, water hose, sewer hose, etc. in the trailer, or the hitch in the bed of the truck to pull it with.
Could not disagree more with your opening comment. Neither Ford or Jayco would encourage owners to exceed ANY part of the tow vehicle’s rating. Totally agree with the rest of your comment. Like you and many others have said, it’s not the tow rating, it’s the payload that is the limitation here.
mgodsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #32

Jayco would not officially recommend it but in my experience the sales guy will everyday of the week and twice on Saturday. I was about to buy a trailer and they claimed it was not a problem. I showed them the numbers and they all went quiet and this is a reputable place.

As for the combo you are considering I would not do it. In fact I was in a similar situation and was buying a 29.5BHOK. I ran the numbers and the problem is always the rear axle weight limit and gross weight limit on the truck. Once the trailer was loaded there is no way it would work. I put the truck on a scale to make sure and it confirmed it. There is only one F150 that can do that and that is the Heavy Duty version that can handle about 2500lbs but even that one would have a hard time with the larger model FW. I upgraded to an F350 and I'm happy I did. The F150 engine can handle it but the suspension system can't. I personally did not want to take the liability if anything were to happen.
mlcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #33

Quote:
I would say no! You can see in my signature what my setup is. I have weighed my setup and the key number you would interested in is the pin weight. My pin weight is 2090 lb. with a trailer weight total, ready for the road of 10,600. IMO an F150 will not handle those weights safely. There will be untold people tell you it ok and they do it all the time. I have downsized campers over the years but I haven't downsized trucks. On a trip out west through the black hills, Yellowstone, and Rocky Mountain N.P. I got 12.3 MPG this was over 5600 miles with 4400 of it towing. Good luck.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #34

My 2017 F150 with max tow and higher payload (not max payload which you can't get with a 4wd supercrew) has my cargo capacity at 1,776 lbs, from which you have to subtract humans, dogs, tools, in my case a 180 lb topper, etc., before seeing how much you got left for tongue weight of a TT or pin weight of a FW. So, I'll bet the pin weight is at or more than your whole cargo capacity.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #35

Hi Roger, picking up today, will let you know, will be driving down the road first before signing the papers...........
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Hi Roger, picking up today, will let you know, will be driving down the road first before signing the papers...........

Did you end up buying it?

I am not sure you understood what people were trying to explain about payload and 5th wheel pin weight.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #37

Interesting that you say "Want the Grandkids protected and safe" then proceed with a combination that WILL exceed allowable payload and maybe even gross towing capacity.

I realize I am being rude but if you really want them safe be sure to have them ride in a different vehicle to the campground! I think it is more "want the pocketbook protected and safe..."
Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #38

The original poster already made up his mind. He wants to use a small truck. You won't change his mind. Wasting your breath. Till he crashes and burns or has a near death event he won't change his mind. Unfortunately his decision doesn't just effect him. It effects everyone in his vehicle and those around him on the road.

This is way I'm in full support of private vehicles towing be required to pass dot inspections and be required to cross the scales like commercial vehicles. That would definitely cut down on the selfish idiots pulling everything and anything with a little truck. Not to mention the ones that do not properly secure their loads too.

Some don't grasp the reason why they make larger trucks. Why have a class 8 semi when a 1/2 ton pickup will pull it just fine.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #39

Quote:

You'll shoot your eye out kid
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
You'll shoot your eye out kid

Hahahahahahhaha

This comment made my day.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote