Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2022, 09:31 PM   #1

Jayco 30.5ckts 2020

Looking at buying a new f150 with maximum trailer towing. 3.5l ecoboost will this truck do the job?
Ivanhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:08 PM   #2

Hard to say exactly. The 30.5ckts GVWR is listed at 11K lbs. The ecoboost with the max tow capacity's is about 11K, this also depends on the particular F150's configuration. Then you also need to deduct from that for all extras, you are hauling (like kids, toys, spouse, firewood, etc). How heavy do you normally pack.

For me, I would look at the sticker on the driver's door jam and review it very closely. I can tell you I am towing right at my TV's max payload capacity, and there is no extra wiggle room. Sometimes when it is crazy hot out, I turn off the AC to keep the engine temp down. I feel very comfortable with my braking capacity, and pulling capacity, just very easy to run hot.

We are looking at new TVs right now, we are also looking at new campers too. We will purchase the new TV before the camper. DW said we WILL have more than enough towing capacity for the new TT/5ver. Because of this, we are looking at 1 Tons. A 3/4 ton has similar towing capacity as a F150 ecoboost, and for us, not knowing the exact camper we will be towing there is not enough excess capacity, incase we go with something else.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:38 PM   #3

Towing maybe ok, braking would be better on a 250+. Depends on how much mountain towing you plan on doing.

I’ll never have less than a 250 in the future and if I buy another I’ll try for a 350. I like taking lots of stuff with me, including more fuel range capacity.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:05 AM   #4

Do 3/4tons have a better braking system, or is the weight of the truck vs a 1/2 ton the factor?
Old 02-15-2022, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanhoe View Post
Do 3/4tons have a better braking system, or is the weight of the truck vs a 1/2 ton the factor?

The short answer is yes, 3/4 ton trucks have Bigger brakes, suspension, frame, axels and transmission. That makes them heavier. One indication you can actually see, 1/2 tons have 5 lug nuts, 3/4 ton have 8. The rest is harder to see. Ask to see to specification differences in writing.

It really depends where you’re going to tow, if your towing just in the flats of the mid west, you can get away with a rig near max capacity.

You need to do the research on the models you look at, don’t just listen to a salesperson. There are so many different models, even 1500 Heavy Duty models.

It’s actually hard to find good info Online, car and driver will give you the specifications in a few difference comparisons. I have looked at the spec’s of Chevy, I own a 2500HD Duramax, Ford and Ram are similar. Our family owns all the brands, they are all great trucks. All but one have sold their 1500’s and now all have 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. The one 1500 doesn’t tow anything.

I’ve towed through some of the steepest Rocky Mountain passes towing our 5th wheel. Bigger brakes don’t get as hot as fast as smaller ones. Transmissions choices can automatically help you slow down, turbochargers will get you go faster even at high elevations. Larger fuel tanks in the 3/4 give you longer range. All stuff to consider based on what you need. I suggest not towing at max, allow 20%. If the truck says max is 10,000, I suggest not towing more than 8,000.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:23 AM   #6

Thank you very much!