Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKHengst View Post
I thought an SRW truck could have a better tow capacity than a DRW because the DRW is more weight, if that’s a consideration. As to the 4500 suggestion, might not be a bad idea depending on how much you expect to carry in the truck.

A better useless “tow capacity”. Big trailers are hauled with goosenecks and fifth wheels, which means lots of weight on the hitch. Payload and axle capacity become the limiting factor
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #42

I'm at 3100lbs pin weight. I didn't need the bags truck sat pretty level without them. I did them more for personal preference then need. Also to get higher weight rated tires I had do go up 2 sizes from stock. To fit the tires I had to do a leveling kit that actually made the truck squat some. The airbags and heavier tires helped a ton with stability in wind and truck traffic. With the 5er empty I was with in 200lbs of max of my back tires. I will never exceed the max on my tires it's way dangerous. With the new tires I have 1000lbs of capacity available now.. I do agree that over 3000lbs of Pin weight you should really consider the DRW. And FYI jayco says my pin is 2600 but it is actually 2900. Something to keep in mind their numbers are not too accurate. So if they say 2500 I'll bet your dry pin is more like 2800 so before you load your stuff your right at the max payload of a SRW.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKHengst View Post
I thought an SRW truck could have a better tow capacity than a DRW because the DRW is more weight, if that’s a consideration. As to the 4500 suggestion, might not be a bad idea depending on how much you expect to carry in the truck.
Difference in capacity between a 1t SRW & DRW is the extra set of tires and the associated load capacity that gives. No other difference. If your pin weight exceeds the capacity of a SRW then you need a dually. If not then it's a personal choice. I've had both and while a dually is nice and all I'd rather have a smaller trailer than drive a dually.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #44

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 J's in a Jayco View Post
Hey everyone! Just bought a used 2017 Jayco 355 MBQS. Its a 40' er with a GVWR of 14,250 and a pin weight of 2515 lbs. I currently have a 2500 duramax short bed and know for certain I want to upgrade to a 1 Ton long bed. I don't have any preference on truck brand. I'm new to towing a 5th wheel but have pulled a 30' cabin cruiser boat around for 5+ years. My wife and I are listing our house for sale this week and planning on full timing in the 5th wheel for at least a year. Staying 2-4 weeks at a time in different RV parks as we travel the country. My main question is...SRW or DRW truck? I'm leaning toward SRW just for the convenience of daily driving while unhooked. I'd love to hear some thoughts from owners that have rigs of at least 13k. Also please tell me what you tow your with.

Thanks,
Jason

We have had both the F250 SB, SRW and now have the F350 LB SRW. We prefer the long bed! We tow a 35' 14K 5er. We have added a side step and a Titan 65 Gallon replacement fuel tank. We had a 50g Titan tank in our F250.
The Long bed gets you away from the Super Glide style hitch which we disliked and it gives you more stability while towing. We park it when not out with one of our trailers.
Pinnacle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
I'm at 3100lbs pin weight. I didn't need the bags truck sat pretty level without them. I did them more for personal preference then need. Also to get higher weight rated tires I had do go up 2 sizes from stock. To fit the tires I had to do a leveling kit that actually made the truck squat some. The airbags and heavier tires helped a ton with stability in wind and truck traffic. With the 5er empty I was with in 200lbs of max of my back tires. I will never exceed the max on my tires it's way dangerous. With the new tires I have 1000lbs of capacity available now.. I do agree that over 3000lbs of Pin weight you should really consider the DRW. And FYI jayco says my pin is 2600 but it is actually 2900. Something to keep in mind their numbers are not too accurate. So if they say 2500 I'll bet your dry pin is more like 2800 so before you load your stuff your right at the max payload of a SRW.
If I'm not mistaken, tires do nothing to increase your rear axle weight rating.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #46

Quote:
Hey everyone! Just bought a used 2017 Jayco 355 MBQS. Its a 40' er with a GVWR of 14,250 and a pin weight of 2515 lbs. I currently have a 2500 duramax short bed and know for certain I want to upgrade to a 1 Ton long bed. I don't have any preference on truck brand. I'm new to towing a 5th wheel but have pulled a 30' cabin cruiser boat around for 5+ years. My wife and I are listing our house for sale this week and planning on full timing in the 5th wheel for at least a year. Staying 2-4 weeks at a time in different RV parks as we travel the country. My main question is...SRW or DRW truck? I'm leaning toward SRW just for the convenience of daily driving while unhooked. I'd love to hear some thoughts from owners that have rigs of at least 13k. Also please tell me what you tow your with.

Thanks,
Jason
I have the same trailer. I tow with a 2015 ram 2500 Cummins. It tows perfectly fine with this truck. My hitch weight was a bit heavy (350# over ccc of truck) so I added some timbrens to the rear suspension. The truck is rated to tow the weight of the trailer. I would say you should be fine with your truck as long as it is rated to tow that much.
Fullinskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #47

The best truck I ever had was a 2014 F350 diesel SRW large cab large box. Would pull my 41ft Redwood fifth wheel up any mountain pass and pass any 18 wheeler or MH on the way up. Had 400HP and 800 lbs of torque. I added a front camera which would interupt the nav display anytime under 7mph. Wife loved to drive it
Cap'n Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
If I'm not mistaken, tires do nothing to increase your rear axle weight rating.
Not the "legal" sticker rating no, but my SRW is tire limited by the sticker. The axle will take more weight than the tires will but the tires are the lowest rated part of the system. Higher rated tires let you add capacity until you hit the next limit.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #49
KFM

A DRW is the best tow, but a 1 ton diesel will work fine. My wife won't drive a DRW. We have a 2017 Ford 350 6.7 diesel short bed with a Pull-Rite Super Slide and went cross county (4000#) this year with 14K GVWR 5th wheel without any problem. With exhaust brake and 3.31 axle, never had any pull problems even with the 6 1/2% grades in the mountains. Most time just left it on cruise control.
KFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
What is your total weight on the rear axle? When I had my SRW, I only had less than 500 pounds remaining on the 7,000 pound rear axle limit and I didn't have the 40 gallon aux fuel tank like I have on my DRW.
With my 60 gallon aux tank I have 515 lbs. 7,000 lb rear axle rating - 3,020 lbs base weight = 3980. Given that the 60 gallon tank sits a good bit farther forward on an 8’ bed, not all of that weight is on the rear axle. My Ford engineer cousin tells me about 25% of that shifts forward since it’s not centered on the axle.
Cheetah053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #51

Keep in mind the ratings of trucks has been changing ever since they started building them... So what a 450 was years ago could be covered by a 2500 and or 3500 today.

I have a 2006 Dodge LB DRW which has about a 12,500 payload rating as I recall.
Just my Truck loaded up is about 9,000 lbs This includes Bedliner, 5th wheel Hitch, upgraded bumper pull hitch. Fuel ETC.

Not sure I have ever weighed my trailer but sales brochures say
Dry Axle Weight (approx. Lbs.):10,122
Dry Hitch Weight (approx. Lbs.):2,778
Gross Dry Weight – Lbs.:12,900

So this is what I have.

I live in the Seattle area so lots of traffic, Honestly the DRW isn't an issue I initial used the truck for a construction buisness but now it is 100% pleasure truck. now don't get me wrong I don't drive to downtown Seattle really ever ... but if it was SRW I wouldn't drive it either as I have smaller cars for when I have to do that.

Is a DRW harder to park, sometimes but so would a SRW in these situations SRW isn't a magic pill. I Recon what i'm saying is .... I don't think Campers go to epic large cities or to subcompact only parking areas.

In terms of towing .. hands down it feels good, I remember the first trip home through Seattle and I was like WOW this is a heavy 5th wheel took a few miles to get used to the new weight. Would a SRW do it ... Sure would but the feeling and being fairly close to max on the DRW I don't think I would be as happy in a SRW and more then likely would be looking to upgrade.

My vote is DRW.

Also +1 on backing in making it easier to park. FYI I don't have a camera or sensors, those would make life a lot easier.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #52

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! It's tough because there isnt a right or wrong answer to this question. As long as I'm within my legal limits it seems like anything from a 3/4 ton SB to a Dually LB will do the job so I've decided to go with something that is priced right, will tow well and be comfortable driving in cities. Found a 2009 3500hd LTZ LB silverado duramax with the FX4 package. Has 90k miles and set up exactly how I need it with factory gooseneck receiver, trailer plug in bed, leveling kit, brand new airbags, trailer brake controller, nav, back up camera, and DVD players in headrests for the kids. Other nice thing is that its bone stock and never been messed with so I can do to it what I know to be (good) mods if wanted. First thing I'm thinking is tires, FASS lift pump, EFI live and sway bars. I'm excited!! Planning to pick it up tomorrow evening.
4 J's in a Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:58 PM   #53

My 1 ton GMC was limited by tire weight rating. The rear axle weight was the same as the tire weight. I know it is limited by tire weight because before I did my airbags and tires with my 5er hooked up I was still no where close to my over loads on the leaf Springs. So going to a higher weight loaded tire I could add weight to my rear axle safely. So now with my trailer loaded I'm still a few inches off my overloads. And with 65lbs in my airbags my truck sits perfectly level. I dont know about Ford and ram but I do know GMC uses the same axle and leaf packs on the 1 ton DRW as the SRW. The difference is the hubs that allow for dual tires on the back and the different hubs on the front that give slightly more load capacity on the front axle as well. My front axle is no issue because my 5th wheel is at its closest setting to the cab and my truck is 6400 lbs on the front axle with or without the 5thwheel hooked up. And my capacity is 6800 lbs. So I know I'm good up there. The bigger tires with higher load rating keeps me well within the capacity of my truck. Now that said the GVWR is 11700and with my setup I'm at 12100 with all passengers and full of fuel. My max trailer rating is 17600 I'm at 16300. So I'm good there. My only problem was my back axle and I rectified that with the tires, and airbags. Plus as I burn fuel I get closer to my limits I have also learned my 5ers fresh water tank is in the back so if I fill it before I hit the road it takes some lbs of my pin, then I have a rack on the back with my 2 2000 watt generators and 12 gallons of gas on it. So really I'm probably rite at my axle limit or with I a few lbs of it. (Just gotta remember to pee befor we leave).. this is all with the 2017 gmc 3500 Denali srw crew cab long bed. And the B&W companion hitch. I have no issues with mountains, wind or traffic. The truck dose amazing and get 12+ mpg doing it. I would highly recommend this truck to anyone.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:19 PM   #54

Thanks! Just outta curiosity..what higher rated tires are you running? That is gonna be the first thing I put on the truck I pick up.
4 J's in a Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #55

I've got 285/75r18 Yokohama geolander AT G015. They are rated for 4080lbs at 80psi each. And are severe service rated (snow flake) on the side wall. Which means when the sign says chains or traction tires needed your good to go.. and I believe they have a 60k warranty on them. Only catch is if your looking to put them on a GM product you would have to level the front end to clear them. I really had no desire or intention to level my truck but I wanted the better tires. So I went with suspension maxx leveling kit. I liked it because it has different stages you can get and do and I came with spacers for the front shocks and transfer case to keep your factory ride and factory angles on your drive lines. It's a nice kit. I did only stage 1 and it's been more then Antique for what I wanted. And believe it or not I think it might have actually improved my ride quality.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:15 AM   #56

4 Jay's... sounds like your well on your way cant go wrong with a dirtymax for the 09 I would look at doing a full delete on the emissions on it too. That is the most troubling comments on the truck. And with 90k on the clock I would service the tranny too if it hasn't been done recently. Then your probably good for 100k or more miles
Old 08-30-2018, 12:24 AM   #57

Smile Don in Butte, Mt.

I tow a 2016 38FLSA (42.5 ft.) Pinnacle with a 2018 GMC Dually LB Duramax. The pin weight is 3500 Lbs. and it weighs 16,000. This is my 7th 5th wheel and my 4th Dually and I wouldn't have anything else to tow with. There is no movement when being passed by a Semi. I had a blowout on my 2011 Chevy Dually several years ago on the inside left tire due to running over a wall anchor and didn't even know it until I got to my destination. There was no difference in handling at all. As far as using it for daily driving, I have no problems at all. Some parking lots have small places and I just park further out. Going to Walmart and most other stores (Costco), I park with all the other vehicles. We go south for the winter (Snowbirds) to Arizona and it is wonderful on the hills. The exhaust brake is super on the hills (Continental Divide) and the 445 HP and 915 pounds of torque levels them out. Not having to worry about overloading the truck is worth the extra money. We started with a 28 ft. Dutchmen 5th and have grown to the larger rigs over the years so I would plan on that happening as you get into RVing. We have been RVing since 1993. Just my two cents worth.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 GMC Denalli_edited.jpg   2016 FLSA-1.jpg  
Attached Images

2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:45 AM   #58

Jayco 355mbqb SRW or DRW 1 ton??

My rig is a 2015 Premier 315 (called North Point now) and my TV is a 2015 Ford F-350 Super Duty diesel SRW. Have averaged 23,000 miles per year with 15,000 of those towing since buying the truck. No issues of any kind or white knuckle driving, even in mountains. One thing though, Rig fully loaded; truck full of diesel; truck with a small generator; 5 100w solar panels and my bride and I, we are only 500# from being maxed out. We got the SRW because it is easier to use as our daily driver when parked. Just know that a 1 ton dually will surely make the rig tow some what smoother, but the big thing is, you can haul a bunch more crap! That would make my bride even more happy.

Neil
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:51 AM   #59

Serfas01 nice setup.. here is mine..
Attached Thumbnails
20180531_192804.jpg   20180324_154513.jpg   20180628_121138.jpg  
Old 08-30-2018, 05:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the feedback! It's tough because there isnt a right or wrong answer to this question. As long as I'm within my legal limits it seems like anything from a 3/4 ton SB to a Dually LB will do the job so I've decided to go with something that is priced right, will tow well and be comfortable driving in cities. Found a 2009 3500hd LTZ LB silverado duramax with the FX4 package. Has 90k miles and set up exactly how I need it with factory gooseneck receiver, trailer plug in bed, leveling kit, brand new airbags, trailer brake controller, nav, back up camera, and DVD players in headrests for the kids. Other nice thing is that its bone stock and never been messed with so I can do to it what I know to be (good) mods if wanted. First thing I'm thinking is tires, FASS lift pump, EFI live and sway bars. I'm excited!! Planning to pick it up tomorrow evening.
Congrats on getting a new-to-you truck.

My son currently has an '05 Dmax that is somewhere around 550kkm now. We have HP Tuners for our tuning and he adjusts his tune every now and then. I tuned/deleted my '11 F350 and it made a negligible difference in fuel mileage, I just saved on DEF. If you have emissions testing that'll affect any tuning that you do. We've had a number of Dmax's and done head gaskets on a few, lookup how to check for that issue. Parts are cheap on that job but labor is the killer. No need to tune my '17 (no actual tunes yet anyway) as it pulls great and gets good mileage.