Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
My 1 ton GMC was limited by tire weight rating. The rear axle weight was the same as the tire weight. I know it is limited by tire weight because before I did my airbags and tires with my 5er hooked up I was still no where close to my over loads on the leaf Springs. So going to a higher weight loaded tire I could add weight to my rear axle safely. So now with my trailer loaded I'm still a few inches off my overloads. And with 65lbs in my airbags my truck sits perfectly level. I dont know about Ford and ram but I do know GMC uses the same axle and leaf packs on the 1 ton DRW as the SRW. The difference is the hubs that allow for dual tires on the back and the different hubs on the front that give slightly more load capacity on the front axle as well. My front axle is no issue because my 5th wheel is at its closest setting to the cab and my truck is 6400 lbs on the front axle with or without the 5thwheel hooked up. And my capacity is 6800 lbs. So I know I'm good up there. The bigger tires with higher load rating keeps me well within the capacity of my truck. Now that said the GVWR is 11700and with my setup I'm at 12100 with all passengers and full of fuel. My max trailer rating is 17600 I'm at 16300. So I'm good there. My only problem was my back axle and I rectified that with the tires, and airbags. Plus as I burn fuel I get closer to my limits I have also learned my 5ers fresh water tank is in the back so if I fill it before I hit the road it takes some lbs of my pin, then I have a rack on the back with my 2 2000 watt generators and 12 gallons of gas on it. So really I'm probably rite at my axle limit or with I a few lbs of it. (Just gotta remember to pee befor we leave).. this is all with the 2017 gmc 3500 Denali srw crew cab long bed. And the B&W companion hitch. I have no issues with mountains, wind or traffic. The truck dose amazing and get 12+ mpg doing it. I would highly recommend this truck to anyone.
With zero air in the bags how does it ride? 65psi seems like a lot to me to the point where they are doing all the work and the springs are just too locate the axle now.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 J's in a Jayco View Post
Thanks everyone for all the feedback! It's tough because there isnt a right or wrong answer to this question. As long as I'm within my legal limits it seems like anything from a 3/4 ton SB to a Dually LB will do the job so I've decided to go with something that is priced right, will tow well and be comfortable driving in cities. Found a 2009 3500hd LTZ LB silverado duramax with the FX4 package. Has 90k miles and set up exactly how I need it with factory gooseneck receiver, trailer plug in bed, leveling kit, brand new airbags, trailer brake controller, nav, back up camera, and DVD players in headrests for the kids. Other nice thing is that its bone stock and never been messed with so I can do to it what I know to be (good) mods if wanted. First thing I'm thinking is tires, FASS lift pump, EFI live and sway bars. I'm excited!! Planning to pick it up tomorrow evening.
As long as the numbers your using are real then yes you should be good. I feel the real issue is most aren't real from the manufacturer and they are based on empty no option units. On the truck side of things curb weight too can become off once you add stuff and it all adds up quick.

So yeah just verify that's the biggest issue I think allot of people don't due until after.

Fyi they make scales to weigh pin weight.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:33 AM   #63

SRW vs DRW

I was new to the 5er as of last October. Bought a new pinnacle 37rsts, 42 foot.
I also bought a new 2017 GMC denali, cc, lb, Duramax, drw, with a tool box combo with a 45 gallon tank. The def is a pain.

I wont admit to how fast I have tested the rig, but it drives beautifully.

Plenty of power, stable and the extra fuel gives me a 700 miles range while towing. Almost 1200 miles when running without the boat or rv.

Yes the dual rear wheels are a little challenge, but doable.

It actually fits into the marked parking spots, the length is an issue and I normally back in so to have the bed hanging out over the parking spot.

Good luck with your decision.

2017 pinnacle 37rsts, and a 2017 Duramax diesel, denali, lb,cc,drw.
haweinberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:26 PM   #64

The airbags at 65psi with a load are utilizing all the suspension components. And they ride great. I have on occasion gone as high as 85psi on really bad roads. And yes that's really stiff and offers little suspension movement. (Kinda the idea) when no load is on you have to run at least 5psi in them and I would say there is no difference in ride from stock at the point. I normally keep about 20psi in them because I like a little stiffer ride. The big benefit is they isolate suspension movement. You ever go over a big bump and you feel your truck bouncing two 3 or 4 times after your over the bump? With the bags there is none of that you get the 1 bounce from the bump then nothing. If loaded really heavily you might get 2 bounces but that's it. The ability to adjust my suspension stiffness going down the road (from nice to crummy roads) is amazing. The airbags are rated to go up to 100psi and support an extra 5000 lbs. So 65psi on an average loaded truck and trailer is not all that much. Yes over 40psi with no load and the suspension is so stiff it's like not having shocks. I put 100psi in them once and the bed of the truck dose not move it almost bounced on the tire pressure. The idea is to put you loaded trailer on and air the bags up tell the truck sits level again and for me that at about 55psi I go the extra 10 psi out of personnel preferences. I feel it rides better.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #65

Question

Interesting reading since I have always wondered about the duals... but now I have a question... We just traveled from upstate NY to St. Augustine and back with a 37' Jayco Designer pulled by a 2012 Ford 6.7 Diesel Single, 350 short bed with a B&W Sliding hitch. Great trip, no problems pulling and the RV was really (over) loaded BUT it seemed like every 30 seconds I was stopping for diesel! 9.5 MPG! So whoa..is there an additional diesel tank I can add to the truck? I'm sure they put in a small tank to increase the towing capacity.
gmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmast View Post
Interesting reading since I have always wondered about the duals... but now I have a question... We just traveled from upstate NY to St. Augustine and back with a 37' Jayco Designer pulled by a 2012 Ford 6.7 Diesel Single, 350 short bed with a B&W Sliding hitch. Great trip, no problems pulling and the RV was really (over) loaded BUT it seemed like every 30 seconds I was stopping for diesel! 9.5 MPG! So whoa..is there an additional diesel tank I can add to the truck? I'm sure they put in a small tank to increase the towing capacity.

How fast were you driving?
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:42 AM   #67

Well I think part of your problem is with a short bed you probably only have about a 24 gallon tank. With a long bed you normally get at least a 34 gallon tank. I do know of many aftermarket fuel tank manufacturers the are OEM replacements. Again your problem is gonna be space for it under your truck as well as weigh capacity. I know of a guy that got an aftermarket tank and it was the same detentions as the OE tank but hung down about 6 or 8 inches more I wanna say it added about 12 or 15 gallons. Just keep in mind diesel fuel is about 8lbs a gallon. Then there is also a ton of transfer tanks that go in the bed, they can also be plumbed into you OE tank and have a switch operated valve and pump that transfers fuel from one tank to the other (this makes it a you can transfer fuel on the move, no need to stop) only catch is again the weight. Most transfers tanks I've seen start at about 45 gallons and go up from there, you also have to keep I'm mind space it the front of your bed to clear the hitch. fuel capacity is always an issue with short bed trucks. But a quick Google surch will turn up lots of options. Personally I like the 34 gallon OE tank in my GMC. Force me to stop about every 300 or so miles. Sitting too long behind the wheel presents many health issues (loss of feeling in you feet, poor circulation and on and on) as a truck driver by profession I'm all to aware of the health issues with sitting for too long. 11 hours a day 600 plus miles a day. It's hard on your body. Good luck
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:34 AM   #68

Ford SB diesel got a 26g tank, LB got 37.5g tank. The Titan almost doubles your tank size. Fuel mileage is about right from the 6.7 if you weren't loafing along

Ford Crew Cab, Short Bed SUPER SERIES 2011-2016 (7020211)
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:58 PM   #69

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 J's in a Jayco View Post
Hey everyone! Just bought a used 2017 Jayco 355 MBQS. Its a 40' er with a GVWR of 14,250 and a pin weight of 2515 lbs. I currently have a 2500 duramax short bed and know for certain I want to upgrade to a 1 Ton long bed. I don't have any preference on truck brand. I'm new to towing a 5th wheel but have pulled a 30' cabin cruiser boat around for 5+ years. My wife and I are listing our house for sale this week and planning on full timing in the 5th wheel for at least a year. Staying 2-4 weeks at a time in different RV parks as we travel the country. My main question is...SRW or DRW truck? I'm leaning toward SRW just for the convenience of daily driving while unhooked. I'd love to hear some thoughts from owners that have rigs of at least 13k. Also please tell me what you tow your with.

Thanks,
Jason
Get the dually, nothing more stable and added “blow out protection” we had an f250 which towed our 355 seizmic fine but wasn’t very stable.
stevenarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
How fast were you driving?
Generally, usually the speed limit which was 65 mostly and 70. Truck gets 14.5mpg around town without a tow.
gmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #71

I tow with a DRW. I struggled with the same question. I had two friends that had DRW who had started out with a SRW. They convinced me I would be happier with a DRW, they were right. (PROS) I love my DRW, there is never any side sway, the ride is great when hooked, a little rough when unhooked. And if you were to have a low rear tire or heaven forbid a flat you can get it off the road and even travel in most cases to a tire center. I have a 100 gal aux tank and that adds a little over 550lbs of weight when it has 80 gals of fuel onboard. I don't see me ever switching to a SRW. (CONS) Harder to park, some drive thrus are too narrow, you have to buy 6 tires, (tires do last longer on a DRW less loading). There are as many opinions as there a people to post so just do what your comfortable with. Have fun on your planned trip.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #72

I have always had a DRW for towing, so I cannot go into SRW vs DRW from a personal perspective. On the DRW side I will say it's very stable and gives me the cushion I need in weight capacity. 5 in the cab plus a dog with a pin weight at about 3100#.

Range was an issue for me at 320 miles per fill up so I installed a Titan replacement tank underneath which now I have just over 500 miles range. Since you are shopping, check the tank sizes and add it to your list.

It's a stable ride when I pull and has the puck system for easy install/removal of my hitch.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #73
Dan

I have had my 355MBQS for a couple years now. I had a Ram 3500 SRW when I first bought the fiver. It just felt really "tight" with all the weight and I did not enjoy pulling that rig with that truck. Bought the exact same truck but DRW and it was much, much better. I haven't looked back.

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #74

We just purchased a 36fbts for which I bought a Ford F450 DRW, CC, 6.7l. Cannot see towing that 5er with an SRW truck. My 2 cents worth.
802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802 View Post
We just purchased a 36fbts for which I bought a Ford F450 DRW, CC, 6.7l. Cannot see towing that 5er with an SRW truck. My 2 cents worth.
You couldn't/shouldn't tow with a SRW even if you wanted too (legally) because you'd be over the payload rating by the time you load up.

If the trailer has a pin weight that works with SRW then I view the choice as a personal one and the "safety" of a DRW is also a personal view. I've had both.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #76

We have a 2018 Eagle 355MBQS and tow with a 2016 F350 shortbed. It tows fine, but I am putting in the Air Lift air bags to level the load. We got back a few weks ago from a 5200 mile trip with no issues with this setup but a dually would be nice! Congrats on the new fifth wheel too!
Huskyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:05 AM   #77

Hey Jayson!

I just bought a 2018 355MBQS, and I have a 2016 Ram 3500 SRW diesel. My truck only squats 1 1/2 inches when hooked. I absolutely love my setup!!! My Ram has a payload of 3,900 pounds and a tow rating of 17,900...plenty of extra capacity for the 355MBQS.
geoboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyfan View Post
We have a 2018 Eagle 355MBQS and tow with a 2016 F350 shortbed. It tows fine, but I am putting in the Air Lift air bags to level the load. We got back a few weks ago from a 5200 mile trip with no issues with this setup but a dually would be nice! Congrats on the new fifth wheel too!
I bought a 2014 F350 SRW, extended cab, long box, etc. Best vehicle I ever owned. Towing largest Redwood fifth wheel. Was surprised when my trusted frame shop refused to install air bags for me. They said the frame is insufficient to handle that much weight concentrated is two spots. They replaced the factory overload with progressive overload leaves. Super ride and handling loaded or not. AND it was cheaper than the bags.
Cap'n Bob is offline   Reply With Quote