Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #1

Jayco Climate Shield

Well Jayco says that their Climate Shield was tested to to zero degrees...well last night 10 degrees got it in Mississippi. Woke up this morning to no water...made sure that the supply line was not frozen and it was not (the heated water line was worth the $$). So I guessed that somewhere in the wet bay area of the front underbelly enclosure there was an issue so I put a small electric heater under there and 3 hours later we have water again. I only have one vent in that bay so Jayco might want to put another one if they can to help keep it warmer.

Another issue is that the supply line from the fresh water system to the refrigerator runs along the arm for the slideout and it froze up Sunday so Jayco might want to better insulate that too.

Anybody else having frozen water issues?
pppbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #2

We used to... Then we did our own version of climate shield.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ays-52189.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eca-66022.html
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #3

We're frozen but our whole park is. Our water connections are all underground and we all have heated supply lines. I can't tell what froze first; the park or the rig. We do have some water in the fresh tank but it won't pump. I might try your heater trick but it is unlikely that one could be purchased now.

Our park has shut off the main water supply as have all or most local parks, in an effort to avoid further damage. We have hit zero degrees just last night and won't be out of this until Friday when a high of 36 F is forecast. We are on bottled water until then. We are in Azle, TX, just NW of Ft. Worth. We didn't sign up for this!!
-Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We're frozen but our whole park is. Our water connections are all underground and we all have heated supply lines. I can't tell what froze first; the park or the rig. We do have some water in the fresh tank but it won't pump. I might try your heater trick but it is unlikely that one could be purchased now.

Our park has shut off the main water supply as have all or most local parks, in an effort to avoid further damage. We have hit zero degrees just last night and won't be out of this until Friday when a high of 36 F is forecast. We are on bottled water until then. We are in Azle, TX, just NW of Ft. Worth. We didn't sign up for this!!
-Angus
Yeah I think maybe next time I am going to keep a space heater in that bay to hopefully keep the line from freezing again. I was toting gallon jugs of water from the bathhouse this morning so we could wash dishes and flush the toilets.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #5

We just got word from the park manager that her husband was able to McGuiver a way to get the water on to the bath house and likely to our rig if we use a hair dryer to thaw the spigot connection. This is a mostly working-man's park and we are the only ones with a modern rig with a buttoned-up belly and insulation. We'll see in the morning...

Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 02-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
We just got word from the park manager that her husband was able to McGuiver a way to get the water on to the bath house and likely to our rig if we use a hair dryer to thaw the spigot connection. This is a mostly working-man's park and we are the only ones with a modern rig with a buttoned-up belly and insulation. We'll see in the morning...

Angus
If the issue is with the water spigot, that is exposed to the elements. You could wrap, your heated hose around the spigot, and/or where it is in or coming out of the ground.

The heated hose radiates a lot of heat, so you it to your advantage. Do you have any thing you can wrap around the spigot to insulate it?? such as old shop towels, old dog blankets, door mats????, wrap these over and around the spigot too, over the heated hose. One thing to note, there is a temperature controller (thermostat) on that hose, if it is warm it will turn off the heat (good thing). If it is cold it turns on the heat (good thing). You may need to have that thermostat outside the insulation layer or laying on the ground to encourage it to stay on. But you need to be careful, so the electrical element within the hose does not over heat, and burn out. Do check on it periodically.

Once you get a little trickle of water flow, open a cold water faucet, and let it flow (assuming you are connected to a sewer system). The flowing water will erode the ice, and eventually you will get full flow.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
If the issue is with the water spigot, that is exposed to the elements. You could wrap, your heated hose around the spigot, and/or where it is in or coming out of the ground.

The heated hose radiates a lot of heat, so you it to your advantage. Do you have any thing you can wrap around the spigot to insulate it?? such as old shop towels, old dog blankets, door mats????, wrap these over and around the spigot too, over the heated hose. One thing to note, there is a temperature controller (thermostat) on that hose, if it is warm it will turn off the heat (good thing). If it is cold it turns on the heat (good thing). You may need to have that thermostat outside the insulation layer or laying on the ground to encourage it to stay on. But you need to be careful, so the electrical element within the hose does not over heat, and burn out. Do check on it periodically.

Once you get a little trickle of water flow, open a cold water faucet, and let it flow (assuming you are connected to a sewer system). The flowing water will erode the ice, and eventually you will get full flow.

Good luck
The supply from the park was good...I unhooked the heated water hose and water was good there so it was in my Jayco 382 where the freeze occured.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

Good luck

We now have water at the spigot, but not in the house. The basement got too cold I suspect. We tried to pull the black tank valve and it was frozen. Noting that we did not flip a propane tank last night and knowing that I still have over two full tanks, I have turned up the heat inside to the 70's to try to migrate heat to the basement. It may have been a false savings to keep the heat down in the 60's to conserve propane.

But we are lucky. We have bottled water and power and I just had my first shower in 3 days at the bath house. People around here are dying from hypothermia and carbon monoxide poisoning . It's a mess.
Thanks for all the support
Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 02-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppbigdog View Post
The supply from the park was good...I unhooked the heated water hose and water was good there so it was in my Jayco 382 where the freeze occured.
JUst and FYI: Not sure where you had the thermostat set, but I think the test that DOMETIC ran for JAYCO was with the interior no colder than 70 only using the furnace. If you were using any supplemental heat (elec heaters) that reduces the heat that flows into the basement since the furnace does not run as much.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppbigdog View Post
Well Jayco says that their Climate Shield was tested to to zero degrees...well last night 10 degrees got it in Mississippi. Woke up this morning to no water...made sure that the supply line was not frozen and it was not (the heated water line was worth the $$). So I guessed that somewhere in the wet bay area of the front underbelly enclosure there was an issue so I put a small electric heater under there and 3 hours later we have water again. I only have one vent in that bay so Jayco might want to put another one if they can to help keep it warmer.

Another issue is that the supply line from the fresh water system to the refrigerator runs along the arm for the slideout and it froze up Sunday so Jayco might want to better insulate that too.

Anybody else having frozen water issues?

Our water is back!

When Jayco said down to zero degrees, I wonder what the assumption was for maintaining inside temperature? Clearly, my efforts to save propane made the basement too cold. When I cranked up the heat to 77 F inside, the open faucet started running water and we did the happy dance. All other faucets are fine and the outside temp is still 22 F. I recalled that the furnace in the basement is right near the water panel and no too far from the tanks, right where we want it.

Regarding the water line to the fridge, ours would frequently freeze any time overnight temps got into the 20's. You're right; it's a poor design not to insulate there.
Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 02-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #11

Definately need to keep furnace on and cycling often enough to provide sufficient heat to underbelly. In other words, unfortunately, t-stat at 65 min. or more degrees. So propane usage will be high. Camped in Yellowstone last fall overnight low of 15 degrees and woke up at 500 a.m. to hear my water pump running. I had frozen pipes and pump was trying to maintain water pressure. I turned up furnace from lowest setting, 50?, to 70 and 15 minutes later water was flowing freely. Supplemental heat is nice down to freezing then it needs to be added to docking station and storage areas or furnace needs to be used as primary source which requires more aggressive setting and unfortunately more propane!
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #12

Thanks Pickledill for that. 65-68 aint bad with a sweater

Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 02-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Our water is back!

When Jayco said down to zero degrees, I wonder what the assumption was for maintaining inside temperature? Clearly, my efforts to save propane made the basement too cold. When I cranked up the heat to 77 F inside, the open faucet started running water and we did the happy dance. All other faucets are fine and the outside temp is still 22 F. I recalled that the furnace in the basement is right near the water panel and no too far from the tanks, right where we want it.

Regarding the water line to the fridge, ours would frequently freeze any time overnight temps got into the 20's. You're right; it's a poor design not to insulate there.
Angus
Glad you all are back in business...
Old 02-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickledill View Post
Definately need to keep furnace on and cycling often enough to provide sufficient heat to underbelly. In other words, unfortunately, t-stat at 65 min. or more degrees. So propane usage will be high. Camped in Yellowstone last fall overnight low of 15 degrees and woke up at 500 a.m. to hear my water pump running. I had frozen pipes and pump was trying to maintain water pressure. I turned up furnace from lowest setting, 50?, to 70 and 15 minutes later water was flowing freely. Supplemental heat is nice down to freezing then it needs to be added to docking station and storage areas or furnace needs to be used as primary source which requires more aggressive setting and unfortunately more propane!
Yep lesson lerned...trying to save a few pennies as the price of propane has gone up lately
Old 02-17-2021, 03:35 PM   #15

So now our only problem is that, while the black tank valve handle will now move, nothing comes out. So now we have a poopsicle, it seems. Tomorrow will be a week since we last dumped it which is normal for our house of two of us. And we have used just smaller amounts of bottled water to flush in the last three days. So we will wait for tomorrow when the temp is forecast 34 F (above freezing for the first time in 6 days).

But this begs a question; if I felt I had to, would warming a pot of water on the stove (not boiling) and pouring it down the toidy be a really bad idea?
Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 02-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
But this begs a question; if I felt I had to, would warming a pot of water on the stove (not boiling) and pouring it down the toidy be a really bad idea?
Angus
No, but it will be cold by the time it gets even close to the valve. Since the black tank generates it's own heat due to decomposition your problem is probably after the valve since the valve is usually right at the tank.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #17

AAAH, sooo. So another mistake I thought we made is leaving the grey valves open and clogging the sewer hose. But I just ran out and the hose is flexible but I can feel little bit of ice crackling inside- but not a blockage. And the clear elbow at the sewer connection is clear.

I'll wait till tomorrow and see if the temps really get above 32. Meanwhile we are still heating the basement with higher temps inside.

Angus
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
Old 02-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #18

Quote:
AAAH, sooo. So another mistake I thought we made is leaving the grey valves open and clogging the sewer hose. But I just ran out and the hose is flexible but I can feel little bit of ice crackling inside- but not a blockage. And the clear elbow at the sewer connection is clear.
But the grey water could be froze where the pipes "wye" together in the underbelly.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I wanted to check these out, but got a bad page error with both.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #20

I will add this. On our 355mbqs, our res fridge is on the driver's side. Right under the slide is the water line for the fridge. Jayco did not insulate that hose. It's a pex hose exposed to the elements. When we were looking at rigs, the one at the dealer 355mbqs also had the exposed water line. I asked the sales person how can Jayco say it's weather tested to zero degrees with an exposed water line? So when ours was delivered, same thing. I mean it's an easy fix, pipe foam wrapped all around but still not the point. The customer should not have to be the one doing that. I wonder how many found out the hard way.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote