Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #1

Jayco concern

Hi. I have owned several jayco's and been very happy. We looked at several other brands and kept coming back to jayco ( I have made the comment that we are jayco snobs. Lol ) but reading some issues on this thread has me concerned, if jayco quality is slipping? ? We are getting ready to invest a good chunk of money. So hopefully these issues are few and far between.
luvs2camp7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2camp7164 View Post
Hi. I have owned several jayco's and been very happy. We looked at several other brands and kept coming back to jayco ( I have made the comment that we are jayco snobs. Lol ) but reading some issues on this thread has me concerned, if jayco quality is slipping? ? We are getting ready to invest a good chunk of money. So hopefully these issues are few and far between.
Not everyone has problems, as the initial quality poll and quality after two years poll indicate:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-31120.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-31121.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

I would like to think issue are actually few and far between.
In today's society with the proliferation of social media and the immediate access to stories and news on a national level; many issues large and small are out there on the surface for everyone to see.
20 years ago, a seemingly small story reported on page three of even a big city newspaper would go virtually unknown even to a neighboring town.
Yet today, with Facebook and Twitter and blog sites and forums like this one; most people have immediate access via smart phone, tablet or laptop, we often know when someone we never met got a flat tire and was stranded on the side of an interstate before the operators at roadside assistance know.
Thanks to information exchange like this one, people are often sharing and looking for advice on every little break and issue from the comfort of their own driveway and getting the information at your finger tips. It's much faster and easier than it was 20 - 30 years ago. Go back 20 - 30 years and if you had a problem like a cabinet separating, or a leak or faulty water pump, you had to drive to the nearest RV shop and ask advice, and/or call a warranty rep. Worse yet, you may have to take your RV in. Back then the only people who would know you had any sort of issue would have been only those neighbors, family and friends whom you called or told, and the RV dealership/mechanic shop.
It gave you sense of thrill and pride when driving down the highway and seeing an RV that is the same make and model as yours. Most of the time you would never have known who that was and yet you both would exchange the knowing glances, wave or head nod, caught in a kinship for a moment. Fast forward to today, and we know of many people from many states and a neighboring countries who have the same make, and model; we routinely exchange information regarding such and also, post and make complaints of every detail and issue that goes wrong.

It may seem quality is slipping, but I tend to think not. After all, how many people post to social media and forums and then have lengthy discussions like this:
Took my TT out this weekend, had a great time, everything worked great, got home, no issues.
The replies come in with an occasional, "congrats", or "good job", etc.

Invest your money, you are only here for a short time. In the end, you are not taking any of it with you. The money goes away, and you never see a U-haul following a hearse.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

You are so right. Thank you for the insight.
luvs2camp7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #5

I think that all RV manufactures have issues... some more than others. The difference is how they respond to those issues, when discovered and reported, and for how long.

Our experience has been that Jayco Factory Service is the absolute best!

Or first Jayco was flawless, the second had "issues", and the third (what we have now), had just a few small issues, which were caught in the PDI.

We are proud members of the Jayco family.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2camp7164 View Post
Try not to be turned off by the quality or warranty issues you read here. You will see them at other rv forums as well.

You can go to just about any rv brand-specific forum and find threads on warranty issues. When shopping this time, we spent time to visit/read other rv forums.... we found many 'warranty issue' type threads.

Some post just to whine, followed by "Jayco Bashing" (also happens at 'Brand X' bashing at the "Brand X" rv forum, etc, etc).

However, most folks who post their issues do so to learn from others with 'like' issues on how the problem was resolved.

OUR EXPERIENCE... like you, we also shopped around for other brands before buying a Jayco once again; this time we narrowed our choice to only the 'quad bunk' tt units. We consistently found that other brands selling for the -same- otd price that our dealer would sell to us, had lower quality cabinets, bedding, or options adding to the price that were standard on what Jayco offered as part of the price quoted (shades/window treatments, led lighting inside or on awning outside, etc). We also liked the Two Year Warranty .

Unfortunately, this time our new Jayco had some issues. We had questions and we knew others here with the same model might also. We received some very good info, and in some cases, members here shared pics & fixes for them. Armed with this information, we have sent our own pics and what we have learned after 'research' online to the 'service tech' at the dealer. Our appt is next week when we finally return home from maiden voyage.

--We LOVE our new Jay Flight 29QBS-- over two weeks on the road now, and our warranty list is actually pretty short
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
Site Team

The forums tend to attract many with problems, very few new members join to tell us how great their rig was.
Just the nature of people in general. Problems happen and Jayco has a great track record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

We ordered a new Jayco fifth wheel this year. For about the last month before it showed up, I had to stop looking at these forums! It was stressing me out! Our unit arrived, it's great. My truck/hitch/trailer setup went as planned, we are happy campers!
Krusegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #9

Just joined the forum! We have been past Jayco owners with total of 2 TT's. We went with the Open Range 5er HT 2 years ago. We love the unit, but seems to have so many issues with quality that our Jayco's never had. We are now planning on going back to the Jayco brand. We are just waiting on our finances to catch up.
DCN-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #10

As stated many folks joins forum to ask about an existing problem and get insight or help. And that is a good thing.

I am a first time Jayco owner and my unit has had some issues, all of which I attribute to quality control either at the Jayco level or the dealer.

This is my 3rd RV. Our first a motor coach had so many issues the dealership bought it back. Our 2nd has been problem free for 7 years. I would buy the Jayco again no hesitation warts and all. Most of the issues I have had l have been able to mitigate.

If there is a disappointment it's in customer support and the warranty..

Contacting Jayco gets a "go see your dealer" reply. I have done that which is why I contacted you guys...to no avail.

As for the warranty it appears to be "old school", it only applies if you take it to the dealer you bought it from.

I was able to get my selling dealer to ship me the parts and I will pay my local dealer to install. So lesson learned buy where you live.

While it can be said this is a dealer issue and attitude by the same token Jayco needs to stress to dealers this does not benefit anyone in the long run.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #11

Two summers ago we decided it was time for the RV we had always wanted. After tent camping, borrowing my parents' Brave and renting from Cruise America, we knew we wanted a motorhome. Starting out we had no idea whether a class A or C or which brand or floor plan, so we shopped and researched for months.

The Greyhawk won out for several reasons. DW loved the interior look and the 31FK layout. I liked the fact that it came with the Bigfoot levelers and JRide. The two-year warranty was a major factor, too, having read some of the tales on various RV forums. Jayco has a much better reputation online for standing behind their products, sometimes even after the warranty had expired. We also knew having a responsible and competent dealer would increase the likelihood that we'd be happy with it.

Is our 31FK perfect? Nope. There are some things I would have designed differently, but that is true of everything I own. (That is one of the downsides of being a civil engineer.) I also wish more attention had been paid during its assembly, but that is where the two-year warranty and great dealer support have been important. Our Greyhawk spent both winters we've had it at the dealership for warranty issues, but the dealer and Jayco have come through on every item.

We are nearing the end of our warranty and feel that we have the Greyhawk in good shape. And, yes, we would buy it again and from the same dealer. From what I read on other forums, many others would not say that about their two-year old RVs.

Good luck.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #12

Quote:

Contacting Jayco gets a "go see your dealer" reply. I have done that which is why I contacted you guys...to no avail.

As for the warranty it appears to be "old school", it only applies if you take it to the dealer you bought it from.

I was able to get my selling dealer to ship me the parts and I will pay my local dealer to install. So lesson learned buy where you live.
Those are your opinions/experiences...here are ours;

Jayco will approve other 'dealers/mobile services' for warranty work.

Yes Jayco wants to have you work with an authorized Jayco dealer....thats support for their dealer network. With that said I have talked directly to Jayco when an issue arose and away from any Jayco dealer and they authorized the work immediately. What happens is that you pay that dealer/mobile service for his work and submit the bills to Jayco for reimbursement. The pay back was done in a timely manner and we were completely satisfied.

One more thing....we wanted to buy from the local Jayco dealer here at our home base in Reno whom we had done business with before on a different manufacturer but they would not deal so we ended up saving $7k and purchased from a Jayco dealer in So. Cal. That was our 'lesson' in buying locally although we did try.

Safe travels.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
Those are your opinions/experiences...here are ours;

Jayco will approve other 'dealers/mobile services' for warranty work.

Yes Jayco wants to have you work with an authorized Jayco dealer....thats support for their dealer network. With that said I have talked directly to Jayco when an issue arose and away from any Jayco dealer and they authorized the work immediately. What happens is that you pay that dealer/mobile service for his work and submit the bills to Jayco for reimbursement. The pay back was done in a timely manner and we were completely satisfied.

One more thing....we wanted to buy from the local Jayco dealer here at our home base in Reno whom we had done business with before on a different manufacturer but they would not deal so we ended up saving $7k and purchased from a Jayco dealer in So. Cal. That was our 'lesson' in buying locally although we did try.

Safe travels.
I am not talking about warranty support outside of the Jayco network. So far I am either fixing it myself or paying a Jayco dealer to fix items under warranty in order to get things fixed in a timely manner...<6 mo. My selling dealership sent me the parts and I will pay another Jayco dealer to install. My guess is the cost will be under $500 and if that is what it takes then so be it...vs leaving it at the Jayco dealer till this fall sometime.

This is not an opinion it's my reality. As for my opinion, as I stated, I bought it would buy it again without hesitation and strongly recommend over other brands for quality, features, and value.

As far as the warranty is concerned I accept that, it's just not that big of a deal to me. I have owned it for almost 6 weeks, last week my selling Jayco dealer shipped me 3 boxes of parts under warranty and I will pay my Jayco dealer to install and I am a happy camper.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:44 AM   #14

I am on my 3rd Jayco in the past 20 years. Have had other brands as well but am now staying with Jayco. Have never had a problem with any of their rigs until this latest one. The outstanding dealer fixed all issues each time I brought the unit in, right on the spot. I did call in advance and set up an appointment when they knew they could handle the work. Love my dealership and love my rig. No one offers a 2 year warranty but Jayco. Gives you plenty of time to work out any bugs. And believe me, they all have bugs these days!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
As stated many folks joins forum to ask about an existing problem and get insight or help. And that is a good thing.

I am a first time Jayco owner and my unit has had some issues, all of which I attribute to quality control either at the Jayco level or the dealer.

This is my 3rd RV. Our first a motor coach had so many issues the dealership bought it back. Our 2nd has been problem free for 7 years. I would buy the Jayco again no hesitation warts and all. Most of the issues I have had l have been able to mitigate.

While it can be said this is a dealer issue and attitude by the same token Jayco needs to stress to dealers this does not benefit anyone in the long run.
Amen!!!! I'm a firm believer that the dealer is as important as the maker. Folks that never had any issues with there unit haven't had a chance to see first hand the difference a dealer can make. We have!!! A good dealer can make all the difference when issues come up and how they are handled!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #16

Quote:
I am not talking about warranty support outside of the Jayco network. So far I am either fixing it myself or paying a Jayco dealer to fix items under warranty in order to get things fixed in a timely manner...<6 mo. My selling dealership sent me the parts and I will pay another Jayco dealer to install. My guess is the cost will be under $500 and if that is what it takes then so be it...vs leaving it at the Jayco dealer till this fall sometime.

This is not an opinion it's my reality. As for my opinion, as I stated, I bought it would buy it again without hesitation and strongly recommend over other brands for quality, features, and value.

As far as the warranty is concerned I accept that, it's just not that big of a deal to me. I have owned it for almost 6 weeks, last week my selling Jayco dealer shipped me 3 boxes of parts under warranty and I will pay my Jayco dealer to install and I am a happy camper.
So what I am getting out of this you bought your rig from a Jayco dealer that is NOT your LOCAL Jayco dealer correct?

Now you want your LOCAL dealer to fix some things that are under warranty?

Why would you have to pay your LOCAL Jayco dealer to fix things that are under warranty? Your LOCAL Jayco dealer could do all the ordering and fixing of things so why have your SELLING dealer ship all the parts?

Sorry for my confusion.

Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 05-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #17

Quote:
So what I am getting out of this you bought your rig from a Jayco dealer that is NOT your LOCAL Jayco dealer correct?

Now you want your LOCAL dealer to fix some things that are under warranty?

Why would you have to pay your LOCAL Jayco dealer to fix things that are under warranty? Your LOCAL Jayco dealer could do all the ordering and fixing of things so why have your SELLING dealer ship all the parts?

Sorry for my confusion.
Yes

Yes

Because "you did not buy it here" and if I want it fixed in a reasonable time by appointment then I can pay or I can go warranty...

Drop off for inspection...2 weeks

Get Jayco warranty approval...2 weeks

Order parts...6 weeks - 3 months

"Parts in, drop off...will work you in over the next 3 months, in most cases, unless there is issues discovered...add 3 months.

Option 2...bring in parts, pay $, get on down the road.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Yes

Yes

Because "you did not buy it here" and if I want it fixed in a reasonable time by appointment then I can pay or I can go warranty...

Drop off for inspection...2 weeks

Get Jayco warranty approval...2 weeks

Order parts...6 weeks - 3 months

"Parts in, drop off...will work you in over the next 3 months, in most cases, unless there is issues discovered...add 3 months.

Option 2...bring in parts, pay $, get on down the road.
Ah..thanks for clearing that up.

No option 3 of taking it back to where you bought it obviously.

Good luck.

View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 05-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #19

People tend to come on to forums to complain. Generally speaking most people on here are quite pleased with their Jayco products. Every camper has some problems from time to time, so I wouldn't let the occasional problem here sway you...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Ah..thanks for clearing that up.

No option 3 of taking it back to where you bought it obviously.

Good luck.
Option 3...1000 miles rd trip + time at least 2 weeks total.