Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #1

Jayco Eagle 317RLOK

Just purchased this new 5th wheel earlier this year and I'm having trouble trying to determine what type of slide-out's were installed. The manual describes several different types but I can't determine which one(s) are installed on my unit. There are no labels on any of the rails or motors that are visible. Does anyone have any idea on what I should do. I've talked to Jayco but that didn't get me any closer to the info I need. I'm concerned with what type of maintenance I should be doing to avoid ant problems. Thanks.
mojo3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #2

You likely have a rack and pinion slide on the door side and the other two slides are Schwintech. You know you have a Schwintech if you can see aluminum gear tracks at the bottom and top of the side walls of the slide.
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo3150 View Post
Just purchased this new 5th wheel earlier this year and I'm having trouble trying to determine what type of slide-out's were installed. The manual describes several different types but I can't determine which one(s) are installed on my unit. There are no labels on any of the rails or motors that are visible. Does anyone have any idea on what I should do. I've talked to Jayco but that didn't get me any closer to the info I need. I'm concerned with what type of maintenance I should be doing to avoid ant problems. Thanks.

Congrats and welcome to the forum and yeah what SB said.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #4

Mojo, maintenance on the rack and pinion is pretty simple: keep the gear tracks clean and lubricate with a spray on dry lube (PTFE / Teflon). For Schwintech you can search YouTube and find the LCI video showing how to clean and lube them. It’s simple to do, but it’s better to watch it being done vs reading about it.

Enjoy your new rig!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #5

You're are so right on this I did mines on all of my slides before I left to go camping last month feel so much better.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I have the 2 Schwintek systems on one side and I believe the rack and pinion slide on the door side. I'll follow your advice on the maintenance but now my question is where would the slide out system controllers be located. I've looked everywhere but haven't located any of them. I have an enclosed underbelly. Could they have installed them in there? Who would be the manufacturer of the rack and pinion system? I'm new to JAYCO and I'm real discouraged with their manual. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have the 2 Schwintek systems on one side and I believe the rack and pinion slide on the door side. I'll follow your advice on the maintenance but now my question is where would the slide out system controllers be located. I've looked everywhere but haven't located any of them. I have an enclosed underbelly. Could they have installed them in there? Who would be the manufacturer of the rack and pinion system? I'm new to JAYCO and I'm real discouraged with their manual. Thanks again.
They should be located on the ceiling of the basement, driver side:
Attached Thumbnails
Controller 2.jpg   Kitchen Slide Controller.jpg  
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Only the Schwintek's have control modules, and mine are mounted just above the auto leveling touchpad in the basement (similar to Al's pictures).

I'm pretty sure Lippert makes the rack & pinion slide mechanism, and the motor area should have a patch of cloroplast board installed so you don't have to drop a whole section of it do do maintenance. But you shouldn't have to access that for normal maintenance, just when real trouble hits (knock on wood that never happens!)
Old 09-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #9

I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding "ceiling of the basement, drivers side". Do you mean I have to "drop" the paneling on the underbelly to access the controller?
Old 09-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding "ceiling of the basement, drivers side". Do you mean I have to "drop" the paneling on the underbelly to access the controller?
You do have a baggage compartment, right? If you open the baggage compartment door OPPOSITE the side with the entry door, and look up you should see the small boxes with wires going to it. Slim Rack systems also have a controller, albeit different in operation from the Schwintek controller.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote