Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2022, 12:38 PM   #1

Jayco Eagle HT hitch question

We are new to the group!

Buying a 2022 Eagle HT (29.5BHDS) this weekend. We want to use a B&W gooseneck with Companion on our 2022 Ford F-250 SuperDuty Tremor. The Salesman advised that we need to install the Reese brand fifthwheel hitch or it will void our warranty…

We contacted a hitch dealer who said IF the Jayco has a rotating pin box, it is not compatible with the Companion.

Anyone have experience with this? Does the Eagle HT have a rotating pin box?
Legopammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #2

Question for the Dealer

Jayco 5th wheels can came with a rotating hitch.
Do you NEED a rotating hitch? What length is your truck bed?

If you have a long enough bed that you don't need a rotating pinbox, you can always put the lockout bolts into any rotating pinbox and turn it into a normal pinbox. You're just wasting money because the rotating pinboxes are several hundred more than a standard.

I'm not a fan of Reese hitches - I've torn up two of them in the last five years, one sheared off the pivot bolt, the other was just getting warped. Both of them were 16k hitches towing a 9k 5th wheel. I now have a Curt and it's holding up just fine - and it WILL work with a rotating hitch.

However, that line of "It will void your warranty" has become a standard fallback line for many dealers when what they really mean is "I don't want to do this." OR "I won't make as much money if you do this." So ask them to show you in writing in the warranty.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:16 PM   #3

Tuesday, July 19, 2022
3:48 PM

I am looking at the 27RL. A few months back I contacted Lippert (??) the frame manufacture regarding a gooseneck connection. Per the conversation with them. I must NOT use a gooseneck adaptor, this WILL void the warranty. A full replacement pin box must be used. If I would use their gooseneck pin box there would be no chance they would void the warranty if something went wrong.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:33 PM   #4

Lock the pinbox in the fixed position. I use the super glide hitch as I have a Ram Mega Cab. Setup is perfect for me. Your only problem is that no other pinbox can replace the factory rotating pinbox. My 29.5 BHDS is a 2022 and that model comes standard with the Lippert/Curt rotating pinbox.
Frosty42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:48 AM   #5

Hi Legopammy,
Welcome to Jayco Owner's Forum. There are loads of hitches and opinions about which is 'best'. There are however, only a few things to consider.
First, understand your 5er's width is likely 8 feet... that means your camper will pivot at the 4 foot point. Measure from your back window 4 feet... if your camper pivots at that spot, you'll need to be very careful when you make a sharp turn or backing up with the camper at an angle.
An example, my truck bed is 6'8" and I made a sharp turn backing up to turn completely around in my driveway... I smashed the corner of my truck. Ouch... couple thousand dollars later it looks great again. I may never have needed that angle while camping, but I didn't want to risk ever doing that again so I got a SuperGlide hitch.
Now when I turn the wheel, the pivot point automatically moves back from the cab. I can make huge angle turns without worry.
Bottom line, if you'll okay with making regular angle turns and have a partner who can stand alongside the side of the truck to wach when you make these sharper angles.. nothing to worry about.
So even if your 5er twists on it's own or twists using a regular hitch, you have only the space from your pivot to your window to contain half the width of your camper - before you hit your truck... unless it moves back when you turn (i.e. SuperGlide).
Trucks with 8 foot beds have their hitch much further back. Short bed trucks need to be more careful... any hitch will probably work if you are not turning a sharp angle.. but getting into some campsites may not be possible.
Summary: Your dealer may know best so before you drive away with it, ask them to show you how far left, or right, you can turn your truck in their lot. If you're okay with that then you're okay to pay them. Have a good time and enjoy the camping fun.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:54 AM   #6

rotating pinbox.

Wonder why you don't want to use a standard hitch with the rotating pinbox you already have? We us the rotating pinbox with a standard B&W hitch. It works with plenty of clearance.
We've never had anything else, so can't compare, but one advantage we have is that we can (and do) fill up the bed of our truck to the top- there is no part of the hitch swinging around in the bed to get hung up on the cargo or side rails.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:29 AM   #7

Us too, love that we can use the bed for stuff that can get wet.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:30 AM   #8

Per talk on other forums, Reese is coming out with their Goosebox to fit in the newer pin boxes later this year.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:07 AM   #9

Thanks Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Jayco 5th wheels can came with a rotating hitch.
Do you NEED a rotating hitch? What length is your truck bed?

If you have a long enough bed that you don't need a rotating pinbox, you can always put the lockout bolts into any rotating pinbox and turn it into a normal pinbox. You're just wasting money because the rotating pinboxes are several hundred more than a standard.

I'm not a fan of Reese hitches - I've torn up two of them in the last five years, one sheared off the pivot bolt, the other was just getting warped. Both of them were 16k hitches towing a 9k 5th wheel. I now have a Curt and it's holding up just fine - and it WILL work with a rotating hitch.

However, that line of "It will void your warranty" has become a standard fallback line for many dealers when what they really mean is "I don't want to do this." OR "I won't make as much money if you do this." So ask them to show you in writing in the warranty.
Thanks Buddy. I think you understand my question best. In theory if I show up to the dealer with an existing fifthwheel set up in my truck - I should be able to drive away with a new trailer no matter what brand my set up is…. I felt like oh buy a Reese was the dealers way of making more money on their affiliated brand.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #10

If your trailer is coming with a standard 5th wheel pin box the b&w gooseneck with the companion should be no problem. As it is a standard fifth wheel hitch. I suspect your salesman is not as informed as he could be and heard b&w gooseneck and either didnt hear or doesn't know what the companion is/does. And thinking it is a standard gooseneck type hitch is recommending the reese goosebox which lippert does allow for use on a gooseneck hitch.

However if in fact it does come with a rotating pin box then b&w does say don't use with the companion, not that you cant physically use it but they do say do not add the wedge to their hitch which you need for the rotating pin box

I know my HT came with a standard pin box and I use a b&w gooseneck hitch with the b&w companion. I use this setup strictly because I use both types of hitches for different trailers and have for years and the b&w is an excellent gooseneck hitch. The companion while a bit heavy is also a great fifth wheel hitch. In these later years I have been considering either the reese goosebox or the gen y version to make life easier for me as that b&w even in two pieces is a chore to move around for me anymore. My trailer is not under warranty so I could care less what Jayco thinks of my hitch choices at least as far as goosebox vs gen y since they operate on the exact same principle just a different name for the most part one is approved and one is not by them
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:58 PM   #11

We have a 2020 Ford F-250 with B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck hitch and the B&W Companion Slider 5th wheel hitch. We pull a 2021 Jayco Eagle HT 27RS with the Turning Point king pin. All is perfectly fine and will not void any warranties from Jayco, Lippert or B&W as long as you do not use a wedge to utilize the turning point feature on the king pin.
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone for their responses! We are set up and good to go per the service department! Heee Haaaaw
Old 08-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #13

But you never said what you went for ?.
Attleboro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:59 PM   #14

You guys are nuts

We have a 2022 Jayco Eagle ht 29.5bhds it has the turning point hitch and the b&w companion and if you read the instructions it actually says you can use it as long as you use the b&w wedge. (Bottom of page see fig #2) on instructions. We have been using it and have now problems. Just need proper wedge and remove 2 Pivot bolts on the pin box. Recommend greasing white lithium on plate of camper to make extra smooth and quite.
cjwaldfogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Per talk on other forums, Reese is coming out with their Goosebox to fit in the newer pin boxes later this year.
already out

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#eagleht