Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #21

Hey Scott!!! Thanks for the 6 inch clearance specs! I did not know that. Havent had time to hook up, measure ans weigh yet buf plan on it next saturday
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #22

In Norman, Oklahoma tonight, Fayetteville, AR tomorrow. Checked all Jayco dealers on the way and no 23.5's. Still think North Carolina will peove fruitful.
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #23

Why is this model so elusive I wonder?
I've been looking for a small 5th wheel (quality was important, so Jayco it is) for over a year and wasn't able to find something suitable for the Ram so I got a TT. When I saw this Eagle SL HT 23.5 at the dealer, I had to trade. I knew that if I didn't make up my mind quickly, this little 5er would sell quickly.
How long would it take to order one?
Good luck in your search!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #24

Got a chance to look at the 2012 23.5 RBS last week. It had everything I was looking for except the Revolution pin box. Really good price for the 2012, but will probably pass on this one. I saw a 2013 26’ Eagle HT and the details were much more refined over the 2012. May wait until next spring and order a 2013 with the Revolution pin box. The lack of turning pin box would require a heavy slider hitch and I am looking to keep the payload within the payload capacity of my truck. A standard fifth wheel hitch will save me a hundred pounds or so of payload.

One thing I would recommend to Jayco is the installation of cabinet doors on the bedroom wall backing up top the cabinets over the sink. The cabinets over the sink are so high that the last foot or so is not easy to get to from the kitchen side. I also didn't see shelves in the 23.5 over sink cabinets. Adding the access from the bedroom would provide some additional storage in the bedroom.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 101 View Post
Got a chance to look at the 2012 23.5 RBS last week. It had everything I was looking for except the Revolution pin box. Really good price for the 2012, but will probably pass on this one. I saw a 2013 26’ Eagle HT and the details were much more refined over the 2012. May wait until next spring and order a 2013 with the Revolution pin box. The lack of turning pin box would require a heavy slider hitch and I am looking to keep the payload within the payload capacity of my truck. A standard fifth wheel hitch will save me a hundred pounds or so of payload.

One thing I would recommend to Jayco is the installation of cabinet doors on the bedroom wall backing up top the cabinets over the sink. The cabinets over the sink are so high that the last foot or so is not easy to get to from the kitchen side. I also didn't see shelves in the 23.5 over sink cabinets. Adding the access from the bedroom would provide some additional storage in the bedroom.
Fantastic idea about bedroom access to kitchen cabinets! Too high to use in kitchen but from the bedroom would be perfect!
Ours is the 2013 and altho brochure quote pin weight 1159, it's 1400 .
Got it weight. And i understand about slider hitch, I've got the superglider and it weighs 250 +~
Old 08-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #26

Regarding the pin weight, was that loaded or unloaded? That’s a big difference from the published weight! I was hoping to come in around that with the loaded weight. It may sound extreme, but I intend to bumper mount (fiver bumper) both spare tires and carry only a single propane tank. We had a 20# propane tank in out last motor home and it lasted for two weeks. We have 2 -30# tanks on the TT and have not had to refill them in two years.

Those modifications should lessen the pin weight and by about 100# and increase my cargo capacity by about 100#. The result being I could feel more comfortable about payload limits. I just bought this truck to pull out TT last year and I do not want to buy another truck. It pulls the TT very well, barely know it is there. The fifth wheel will add another 1000# to the total gross vehicle weight, but I will still be way under the rated total gross weight.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 101 View Post
Regarding the pin weight, was that loaded or unloaded? That’s a big difference from the published weight! I was hoping to come in around that with the loaded weight. It may sound extreme, but I intend to bumper mount (fiver bumper) both spare tires and carry only a single propane tank. We had a 20# propane tank in out last motor home and it lasted for two weeks. We have 2 -30# tanks on the TT and have not had to refill them in two years.

Those modifications should lessen the pin weight and by about 100# and increase my cargo capacity by about 100#. The result being I could feel more comfortable about payload limits. I just bought this truck to pull out TT last year and I do not want to buy another truck. It pulls the TT very well, barely know it is there. The fifth wheel will add another 1000# to the total gross vehicle weight, but I will still be way under the rated total gross weight.
Yes, tongue is weighted loaded. Also, I too am towing 1000 lbs than previous TT and am at 1400 lbs below max towing and 1000 lbs GCWR. Payload on ram sucks tho. Was nervous but it is towing fantastic!
Brochure says dry weight is 5900 and unit came in with options at 6500 and with our stuff, 6800.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
Yes, tongue is weighted loaded.....snip
For clarification, I believe that 'Boubou' is referring to his FW "pin weight loaded" is 1,400lbs..., not his prior TT tongue weight (which commonly refers to TT's, HTT's etc.).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
For clarification, I believe that 'Boubou' is referring to his FW "pin weight loaded" is 1,400lbs..., not his prior TT tongue weight (which commonly refers to TT's, HTT's etc.).

Bob
Correct! Confusing my tongues and pins lol
Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #30

Good to hear that that is the loaded weight. I will be within payload limits of the truck when we finally place the order.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #31

I picked my 2014 23.5 rbs in early October. Picked in Indiana and hauled back to NY. 2012 F150 with 302 engine and 3.55 rear end. I liked the way it pulled, Im not in a hurry when hauling it. But can haul at 70 mph. Get about 12 mpg. Just me and wife so we havent overloaded it. Used it 3 times before storing it for winter. Cant wait for spring!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #32

We are going on our 3rd year with our 23.5. It is a great unit but this year will be a test for space because we added a baby boy to our family last fall and we have a teenage girl also. Wife already wants to trade for a bigger trailer but I think it will be just fine.

We have a 2006 for a TV and it does just fine here in Mn, not too many hills to climb. Best we got was a little 11.5 mpg but the worst was around 6. That was traveling on an Interstate the day we picked it up. Had a 35 - 40 mph headwind to fight the whole way home.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #33

What rating of tires are you guys using when pulling this trailer with your half ton's? I'm pulling a 23.5 with a toyota tundra that came with standard p rated tires. I do up the air to 45 psi when towing and haven't had any issues but need a new set and am considering going with an e rated tire. I guess the trade off is a stiffer ride when not towing.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #34

I have C rated truck tires that are rated for 2500 lbs each when inflated to 50 PSI. I don't see any reason to go with a heavier tire on a half ton with the lighter pin weight.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife4me View Post
I have C rated truck tires that are rated for 2500 lbs each when inflated to 50 PSI. I don't see any reason to go with a heavier tire on a half ton with the lighter pin weight.
Sounds about right using C rated. What tires are you using, i've looked and mostly see E or P rated. Thanks.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post
Sounds about right using C rated. What tires are you using, i've looked and mostly see E or P rated. Thanks.
BF Goddrich AT T/A KO's. They are a little noisy on the highway but work great off road and for pulling my fish house in the winter.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #37

I noticed on the newer HT's that Jayco has added small shelves on both sides of the queen bed. I have tried contacting a dealer to see if these shelves are available to add to the older models, but haven't gotten an aswer yet. Has anybody been added these shelves to your HT?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife4me View Post
I noticed on the newer HT's that Jayco has added small shelves on both sides of the queen bed. I have tried contacting a dealer to see if these shelves are available to add to the older models, but haven't gotten an aswer yet. Has anybody been added these shelves to your HT?
I added one to each side of the bed. I made them using 3/4" pine and applied a trim piece to the outside edge so items would not slide off then painted to match, as close as possible, to the surrounding laminate. I would post a picture but I got it in the shop right now (adjusting the slide mechanism).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #39

We are taking delivery of a 26.5 RLS Monday. Upon further research, our TV is a 09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 with 20" wheels and 3.55 gears with a tow rating of 6800 lbs. I'm afraid the suspension will not handle it. I have not had the hitch installed, so we are having it pulled to our seasonal site. Our TV towed our Jayflight 22FB beautifully, but we have never towed a 5er before. Personally, I'd like to wait having the hitch installed in a diesel than risk damaging our truck and pushing it to the limit. We've only had our Ram a year. Any thoughts?

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab Hemi 4x4 Big Horn
Magnaflow muffler with factory dual exhaust, K&N drop in filter
3:55 ratio, Goodyear Duratrec 285/60/R20
2011 Jayflight 22FB...sold!
QuinnFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #40

I would suggest putting on a set of Timbren suspension helpers on the rear end. That will make your truck sit level with the 5er hooked up, and it will handle much better as well. I installed them on my 97 half ton ram, and it made a huge difference. I was pulling a 29 foot 5er much heavier than the 26.5, and I didn't have any issues. I only towed within an hours drive, just took it easy at 55. I upgraded to an 08 Ram 2500 Hemi this year, and also installed Timbrens on it. With my new trailer I don't know if I'll need them or not, but they are a great product. I think your truck will handle that 5er just fine. It's not a matter of if it can pull it, it's a matter of the payload as you mentioned earlier. You are over manufacturers towing capacity yes, but still well within reasonable limits. A big part of towing to me is the person behind the wheel. Take it easy on the vehicle, easy starting and stopping and what not, and lower cruising speeds. I wouldn't hesitate to put that fifth wheel hitch in your truck. Hope this helps.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote