Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

Jayco Eagle Super Lite HT 23.5RBS

We are considering buying a 2013 Jayco Eagle Super Lite HT23.5RBS and will be using a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost with Max Tow package. I was hoping to get feedback from someone with a similar tow vehicle. We pull a 21’ Kodiak TT (5400 lbs loaded) now and don’t even know it’s there. We pulled through eastern mountains last year, and had no problem with uphill or downhill grades. I know that we will be going to a model with a dry weight of 5800 lbs. I was wondering if anyone else pulls the 23.5RBS with a similar tow vehicle and what your experiences have been towing in the eastern or western mountains?
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #2

Hey Scott,

We have the 2012 Super Lite HT 26.5 RLS. I believe it is heavier than the unit you're interested in. I pull it with a Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, with a Hemi and 3.92 gears. We don't have many mountains here in CNY, but what few grades I've pulled have not been a problem. I'm not as concerned about the towing weight, as the pin weight. The pin weight on my trailer is, if I recall correctly, 1300 lbs. That just about is at the limit of the truck.

My truck does "squat" a bit in the rear, but I still have good clearances on the bed rails and the ride is smooth. I'm sure it's more of a case of me over analyzing things.

-Dave
dlongley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #3

Good to hear

I have been following another thread on the Ford F-150 forum and I have been hearing good things there about towing fifth wheels with the 1/2 ton trucks. Most of the posts are from others that do not have a half-ton PU, but there are a few good posts from folks that have ½ ton trucks.

What type of hitch do you use? Does your Jayco have the optional Reese Revolution pinbox. If so, what are your impressions? I looked that the 26.5 RLS and the other 26.5 model with the rear bath a couple of weeks ago in Ft. Lauderdale. I really liked them, but still like the 23.5 RBS. Unfortunately, few if any were shipped the Florida last year and the closest one is a 2012 in North Carolina.

How satisfied are you with the overall quality of the Jayco?

I recently ran across a 22' Elkridge E22 by Heartland at the show in West Palm Beach last weekend. I was impressed with the extras that came with it, but it had a pin weight about 300# more than the Jayco. It would currently be my second choice, but am concerned about the extra weight. Thanks for your response.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #4

Which hitch?

Our dealer installed the Reese 16k slider hitch. I don't know much about the sidewinder or other hitch setups, but 2 friends of mine who are pulling a Cougar and a Montana had the same hitch installed. I'm still relatively new to this 5th wheel thing, but I haven't noticed any problems. Even with the short box, you have to crank it around close to 90 degrees before you're even close to hitting the camper nose with the rear of the truck cab. That's without engaging the slide on the hitch. RV manufacturers have done a great job streamlining the nose of the units to get them out of the way.

We love Jayco products. I'm not just saying that because I'm on this forum. The workmanship is good and the floor plan is well thought out. We previously owned a Jayco G2 travel trailer and loved it. No trouble at all, and everything was built soundly.

Plus you can't beat the 2 year warranty.
dlongley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #5

We have a 265RKS and it pulls very easy. I have a Ford power stroke diesel though, and also tow a 2000lb boat behind my Jayco. I would not be afraid to pull the trailer only with a gas half ton truck at all. Good luck.
2003 F250 Super Crew Power Stroke 4x4
2014 Lund 1800 Tyee 175 Merc Verado 9.9 Pro Kicker
Dukedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

We also are looking at the Eagle HT superlight 23.5
My concern is the Ram payload. Says I can only have 1300
Lbs ~ in the bed. Other concern is the Jayco
Website says the dry hitch is 1055 lbs and the brochure says 1155 lbs
At this point, I'd feel better with the lighter figure but am I being anal about all of this? I read lots of comments in different forums about NoT exceeding payload and all that. We are almost ready to get this 5th wheel but I would love to hear more about people actually pulling 5th wheels and experiences.
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #7

1055 vs 1155

I believe the weight of the 2012 model was 1055lbs. The 2013 model added 100 lbs and weighs 1155 lbs. I am not overly concerned going over by a little bit, but intend to relocate the spare tire off the truck and travel with only 1 30# propane tank vs 2 and upgrade my truck tires to D or E range.

My total combined vehicle weight is still way under the limit. We travel light anyway, so I don't expect that my loaded pin weight will increase significantly. Still wish I could gain back the 100 lbs lost to the change in model years. Ask Jayco for a construction plan for the 23.5 RBS. Adding weight behind the axels (truck spare, coolers, partially filling fresh/gray/black tanks located behind the axel will also help with the pin weight.

Since I just bought my truck a year ago, I will not be buying a new one any time soon. I intend to compensate by using the methods above.

My problem is finding the 23.5 on a lot within a two day drive.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #8

Getting the Eagle Super Lite 23.5 Thursday! it's getting prepped now and getting the hitch (Superglide) installed Thursday morning.
Looking for tires now, the ones I have are only P rated.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 101 View Post

My problem is finding the 23.5 on a lot within a two day drive.
Did you get it? did you find one?
Have to say, we are lucky, we got this one at our local dealer in Kingston just 20 minutes away.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #10

No, still waiting for one to be delivered to a lot within a reasonable driving distance. Closest units are in western North Carolina or eastern South Carolina. We are in south Florida. Funny thing is that we have gone to Myrtle Beach,SC for the last five summers. Chose to stay around home this summer. We were thinking of ordering a unit, but wanted to see one first.

I keep checking in with Jayco. So far all 2013's have been sent to western and Midwest dealers. Only thing we have seen that is comparable to 23.5 RBS is the Elkridge 22' . Outside kitchen a lot nicer than Jayco and there is a built on bike rack on back. Elkridge has a pin weight that is 200 lbs heavier than the 23.5. Jayco appears to be a have a lot more window area in the main living areas. Still leaning towards the Jayco.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
No, still waiting for one to be delivered to a lot within a reasonable driving distance. Closest units are in western North Carolina or eastern South Carolina. We are in south Florida. Funny thing is that we have gone to Myrtle Beach,SC for the last five summers. Chose to stay around home this summer. We were thinking of ordering a unit, but wanted to see one first.

I keep checking in with Jayco. So far all 2013's have been sent to western and Midwest dealers. Only thing we have seen that is comparable to 23.5 RBS is the Elkridge 22' . Outside kitchen a lot nicer than Jayco and there is a built on bike rack on back. Elkridge has a pin weight that is 200 lbs heavier than the 23.5. Jayco appears to be a have a lot more window area in the main living areas. Still leaning towards the Jayco.
We loooove the Jayco, it's gorgeous! have you seen one or just on the website? better in real
I haven't seen the Elkridge so cannot compare but I can tell you, that the Jayco has great windows, love the large one by the dinette! (tinted too)
the outside kitchen is kinda dorky if you ask me but better than nothing. Funny, our's came with a 2 burner stove, the little sink AND a bumper grill.
As for the bike rack on the Elkridge, you'll be pleasantly surprised with the Jayco. It's got a factory installed 3000 lbs capacity Reese hitch receiver on the back, so you can tow another trailer with your motorcycle or boat or add your own bike rack to the receiver and voila!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #12

Was just looking at the Elkridge, boy, the Jayco has more floorspace, the slideout is larger and contains the stove fridge and sofa which has an airbed
the sink and large counter space is on the bedroom wall.
again, larger windows, including another small window behind the stove, so in the main living area, door window, stove window, large dinette window, large sofa window. No window in the bathroom but skylite (not opening kind, the bubble type) above the bath.
Also, in the bedroom, 2 full length closets
Old 06-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #13

Why the superfluid very the Reese Revolution or was the 23.5 not equipped with the Reese? I am still undecided regarding the hitch. Seems like moving the piviot point back is good and allows the use of a simple fifth wheel hitch. Dealers I have ask about the Reese have tried to steer me away from them.

The P range tires are way too soft as are C's. I will be installing E range on truck. Jayco comes with D's. Will keep D's for a while. If we take long trips out west, we will upgrade to E's on trailer as well.

Brother in law overloads his fiver and ends up buying a couple of new tires each trip. He installed E's and is just returning from 8000 mile trip with no tire problems. We upgraded to E's on our old motor home after loosing a couple of tire and had no further problems. Didn't thing we were overloaded, but Class C's don't much cargo capacity to start with. Bad thing about E's is the loss of ride comfort.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Why the superfluid very the Reese Revolution or was the 23.5 not equipped with the Reese?
The Reese revolution is an option which wasn't ordered by the dealer on our's

The P range tires are way too soft as are C's. I will be installing E range on truck. Jayco comes with D's. Will keep D's for a while. If we take long trips out west, we will upgrade to E's on trailer as well.

wondering if I should keep 20's and get michelins 275/65R20 which will change my odo a bit as gear ratio or change rims and tires for 17's which will give me more choice for tire selection. Also going to LT E ratings

... Bad thing about E's is the loss of ride comfort.[/QUOTE]

Guess it's the price of having a working truck
Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #15

I gladly give up ride for not being stuck along a road somewhere with a blowout.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #16

Good to know that the Jayco has a receiver hitch. Guess I should have snapped to it when someone said that they were towing a boat behind their Eagle HT.

I will be going on a road trip with son looking at prospective grad schools and we may try and get by Jayco factory when in the area or at least get by a dealer that has a 23.5 in stock.

I have seen the exterior kitches on the Jayco. Liked the Elkridge in that their outdoor kitchen had a frig and microwave. Drawback is the frig is electric only. The extra frige and microwave also adds the additional weight.

Keep in touch regarding your 23.5. Thanks for the info to date.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #17

Picked the 23.5 yesterday. Beautiful! Got the superglide hitch (pullrite) and pretty impressed! You can turn at a 90 degree angle no problem. Only thing is you need to be within a 10 degree angle to hitch up or it won't lock. Small price to pay to get a nice automatic slider
With unitched it ourself for the first time and extended the landing gear too long and maxed out when leveling, so we had to re-hitch (no problem) and lift the landing gear and bring them down with the switch.
This model came with a bbq wich we'll be keeping in the truck bed for lack of storage, need the small storage space for hoses and such.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #18

Congratulations!

Glad to hear that your unit came in and glad you like it. We have never owned or pulled a fiver, so I will have a steep learning curve. What model of the superglide did you get and how is your tailgate/side rail clearance?

Heading out tomorrow on a road trip with son to look at grad schools. Had planned to go by factory in Elkhart for a tour and look at a 23.5, but they will be closed while we are in the area. Plan B is to visit a dealer in NC that still has a 2012 model on the lot. Won’t have the truck so I can’t bring it back. It sure would save on hotel rooms.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Glad to hear that your unit came in and glad you like it. We have never owned or pulled a fiver, so I will have a steep learning curve. What model of the superglide did you get and how is your tailgate/side rail clearance?

Heading out tomorrow on a road trip with son to look at grad schools. Had planned to go by factory in Elkhart for a tour and look at a 23.5, but they will be closed while we are in the area. Plan B is to visit a dealer in NC that still has a 2012 model on the lot. Won’t have the truck so I can’t bring it back. It sure would save on hotel rooms.
Not sure of clearance, I'll measure
Superglide 2700
Good luck in your search. It's really a nice 5W very well equiped
Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #20

Read up on the Superglide 2700 and found it to be a very resonably priced slider. I see that the instructions specify a 6" clearance between the rails and trailer. Six inches should provide plenty of room for uneven campsites and steep driveways.