Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #1

Exclamation Jayco Executive Office

Trying to find the contact info for Jayco Exec Office to get some help with an ongoing manufacturer trailer brake issue. New 2021 HR Open Range 5th wheel Mar. 31st. Truck threw trailer brake alert otw home from dealer, but intermittently. On 1st trip out brakes seized on highway and lost them completely for rest of trip. RV Been sitting back at dealer on jacks for a month now and they've confirmed faulty brake system, but can't get parts. President of Dealership says he's trying to expedite from Jayco, but no success thus far.

I have a trip reservation starting in a week w/ $T's on the line. $70k RV that I can't use and costing my cancel fees, etc. ...pretty disappointing. I'd want to know if I were Jayco leadership about this type owner experience and the liability risk at hand.
roamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #2

Thank you. Similar issues. If we get it back, we're leaving at the end of June to go out West. But we can't make reservations because we can't get even an estimated completion date.
Just posting here to see what people come up with.

We need to unionize.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #3

Mailing address is on their web- site.

Brake parts would be coming from either Dexter or Lippert since they are the component supplier and axles usually arrive at the factory fully assembled, brakes attached. With all the parts shortages, they can't ship what they don't have.

Granted JAYCO owns HR, but they are a separate operating company and ship their own parts. They are based in Shipshewana and not Middlebury.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #4

Definitely contact the brake manufacturer. When we had brake issues in 2016 (trailer 2 months old), Jayco referred us to Lippert. Turns out the brake wire had come loose & was wrapped around the spindle. Good luck.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #5

Do yourself a favor and get rid of those major PIA garbage drum brakes and upgrade to disc brakes.
I'll never own another trailer with drum brakes.
My neighbor, limited tools and ok mechanical ability, upgraded his 34' Fountain boat trailer to disc brakes in his driveway over a weekend and a couple nights after work. His boat and trailer combines weighs maybe 9k and couldnt believe the stopping difference. He spent about $1200 for his. My kit for my Northpoint was about $2100, but I went full on idiot mode and customized the crap out of it and spent another $1k.
No more adjusting brakes, no more worrying about if its gonna stop, no more brake parts failures,... WAY more easy to work on when needed and parts are available everyday at nearly ANY auto parts store out there.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #6

Like Lake Huron I junked the electric drums and went to disc brakes.Our Eagle is a little lighter than Lake's North Point but at 12,500 lbs it's a lot of push.
I just finished my conversion this spring.
When I pulled the drums and pads one was greased. I don't have 10,000 miles on trailer.
Best parts of disc is you can stop quicker, easier maintenance, parts but two other key bonuses:
If a rear grease seal leaks you can see it by taking a look under trailer and see the grease thrown around.

If it does throw grease on brake surface instead of taking out 25% (1/4) of your trailer braking ability it's 12.5%(1/8)

Yes it's a bit of work to convert... But
I'll never own another trailer with drums. Hands down best safety upgrade you can buy!

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Do yourself a favor and get rid of those major PIA garbage drum brakes and upgrade to disc brakes.
I'll never own another trailer with drum brakes.
My neighbor, limited tools and ok mechanical ability, upgraded his 34' Fountain boat trailer to disc brakes in his driveway over a weekend and a couple nights after work. His boat and trailer combines weighs maybe 9k and couldnt believe the stopping difference. He spent about $1200 for his. My kit for my Northpoint was about $2100, but I went full on idiot mode and customized the crap out of it and spent another $1k.
No more adjusting brakes, no more worrying about if its gonna stop, no more brake parts failures,... WAY more easy to work on when needed and parts are available everyday at nearly ANY auto parts store out there.
...appreciate the rec on the disc brakes and couldn't agree more on the quality upgrade, but at the moment, I'm just trying to get the manufacturer to rectify a factory problem and get my unit out of the shop before I have to change a ton of plans, etc.
roamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complaint, executive, liability