Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

Jayco fifth wheel battery compartment mods

I have a 2018 321RSTS fiver. I equiped it with a 5.5kw generator up front. The battery compartment is between the generator and the side OD side of the compartment. The compartment is 2 batteries deep and has a tray that would allow the stacking of 2 more on top of teh lower pair. The problem is that it is nearly impossible to access the rear batteries for maintenance with out removing the front ones.

Has anyone tried to put sliding trays into the compartment to allow the batterries to slide out for easy maintenance and replacement?
Horizons28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizons28 View Post
I have a 2018 321RSTS fiver. I equiped it with a 5.5kw generator up front. The battery compartment is between the generator and the side OD side of the compartment. The compartment is 2 batteries deep and has a tray that would allow the stacking of 2 more on top of teh lower pair. The problem is that it is nearly impossible to access the rear batteries for maintenance with out removing the front ones.

Has anyone tried to put sliding trays into the compartment to allow the batterries to slide out for easy maintenance and replacement?
That's on my "to do" list! I was looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DP8RAQU...v_ov_lig_dp_it
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
That's on my "to do" list! I was looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DP8RAQU...v_ov_lig_dp_it
It says 100-300# support. Four batteries will exceed the low number. Might be dependent on the size of the tray though

Edit: that's for the Morryde ones at the bottom of that listing, no info for the one you linked
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
It says 100-300# support. Four batteries will exceed the low number. Might be dependent on the size of the tray though

Edit: that's for the Morryde ones at the bottom of that listing, no info for the one you linked
Horizon28 has two batteries on the bottom and two batteries above the bottom two, so he would need two trays.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 11-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

MorRyde make heavy duty full extension battery trays. I have (2) J185 batteries on this tray weighing 260 lbs.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #6

Eagles with gen prep don't have much battery storage space. Very narrow! I'd be surprised if you could find a tray that will fit the space and handle the weight.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #7

With the slider tray will you need to replace cables with longer ones?
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
With the slider tray will you need to replace cables with longer ones?
Only the two that go to the main contact.........the ones that tie the batteries together will be fine.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 11-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #9

Anyone know if the big or small one will fit?
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizons28 View Post

My battery compartment is only one deep and stacked. I switched to Trojan T105 batteries a long while back and installed the Trojan manual watering system since the lower battery was virtually impossible to water also or even check. The watering system solved the maintenance problem completely. Just make sure you get the standard T105 and NOT the T105 Plus. The watering system won't fit the PLUS and the specs of the two T105 models is virtually identical so why the Plus? Who knows.

My original T105's lasted 8 years of full time use before one of them started having a problem with one cell. I replaced them a month ago.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #11

I couldnt find a tray narrow enough. I bought 2 heavy duty, full extension drawer slides and thought I'd cut a shelf to fit between them but it was still too tight. I settled for removing the fixed shelf above the 2 batteries (which I wouldve had to do anyway) so at least I can easily access them. I dont have solar so not planning to go to 4 batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Rv batt.jpg   Batt empty.jpg  
Old 11-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #12

I did the same thing to my 2019 321RSTS. I removed the upper shelf, installed a couple of braces under each side for the shelf to sit on. I put 3 screws from the top of the shelf into the braces. I can still use the upper tray for storage but I can simply remove the shelf in a few min. to access the batteries.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #13

Would this help?
https://www.trojanbattery.com/produc...tering-system/
divelaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by divelaster View Post
I installed this system when I replaced my 2 T105's last month. They were 8 years old and one of them was dying. It was always a pain to water the lower one requiring a mirror, flashlight, and bulb filler rubber bulb - real pain in the tush.

The Hydrolink system is absolutely painless and fast. Just make sure your batteries are the T105's and NOT the T-105 Plus. The Hydrolink will not fit and Trojan does not have a system for the Plus version.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #15

I had a similar situation with my 2016 38FLSA. I drilled out the rivets on the tray and replace them with 1/4-20 bolts with the bolt body facing inward in each hole. Now I can slide the tray out and remove it to get to the batteries when checking the water level. The tray doesn't move at all as it is captive by the door. Works great.
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
MorRyde make heavy duty full extension battery trays. I have (2) J185 batteries on this tray weighing 260 lbs.
Would a tray like that work for a pair of AGM's in one of the compartments in a Greyhawk? Thinking when we buy a new Greyhawk of switching the batteries to a larger compartment and putting a 2800or3000 watt whole house inverter in the factory battery box?
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Would a tray like that work for a pair of AGM's in one of the compartments in a Greyhawk? Thinking when we buy a new Greyhawk of switching the batteries to a larger compartment and putting a 2800or3000 watt whole house inverter in the factory battery box?

MorRyde makes all different sizes of battery trays. I can't speak to what would fit in a Grayhawk as I have a Precept but these batteries are HUGE!
Old 11-25-2018, 07:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
MorRyde makes all different sizes of battery trays. I can't speak to what would fit in a Grayhawk as I have a Precept but these batteries are HUGE!
On the FullRivers's either the neg or pos cable should be moved to the other battery so that they are balanced. Looks like the Interstates are wired unbalanced too but hard to tell.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #19

321RSTS battery box

The battery box in my 321RSTS is too small for a commercial tray. It is only 13" wide and cannot be expanded since the box is prefab, and the generator is on the left side of the wall, making it impossible to move a sidewall. I did remove the shelf for access to the lower batteries for maintenance. Pic is sideways:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	45712
Old 11-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
On the FullRivers's either the neg or pos cable should be moved to the other battery so that they are balanced. Looks like the Interstates are wired unbalanced too but hard to tell.

This photo was taken very early in my installation. I have since added a Battery Tender, a NOCO Genius, a battery disconnect switch and have moved the neg wire to the rear battery.

Tags
battery, tray