Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #1

Jayco fifth wheel spring plate question

Hello everyone! I have an odd question—not dumb, but odd, so here goes: I purchased two sets of SumoSprings for trailers to install on our Eagle HT 30.5CKTS. However, the mounting brackets that attach the SumoSprings to the “spring plate”, which is on top of the axles, are not wide enough to fit on the plate. SumoSprings told me they had run into this situation maybe 3 times, out of the thousands of units sold. They recommended that I contact Dexter Axle and request them to send me 4 standard sized spring plates to replace the wide ones that came on the trailer (they are wider because they were intended for mounting after-market shock absorbers). Haven’t heard back from Dexter yet, but hopeful they can help me. Here’s the question: Has anyone done this on their rig—taking off a spring plate and putting a new one on? It looks simple enough—four nuts to remove on each plate and swap out for the narrower ones. But, I’m not sure what the leaf springs are going to do when I unbolt the plates, which sit on top of the axle. Thoughts anyone?
Old 07-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #2

Are you talking about the nuts on the axle u bolts??

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:24 PM   #3

I have a 2020 30.5 CKTS and have gone through the entire process of adding the Sumo Springs. I gave a detailed description of it here in another thread. My model did not have the spring plates for the shocks. However, I did find that the Sumos were not tall enough the fill the space between the axle and the frame. If you find you have the same set of Sumos I got and need more height, my thread describes how I changed the U-bolts to a longer set and added an additional spring plate on top of the factory plate. Check your measurements to see if you have more space between your frame and top of existing spring plate. If your measurements indicate your Sumos are tall enough with the spacers, then you can order new spring plates from etrailer or other online sources.
Also note that your 30.5 CKTS is heavy on the kitchen side. I installed my Sumos so the heavy side has more support from them by increasing the space between the factory spring plate and the ones I added on top of them, which helped to raise that side.
I'll try to send you a link to the thread where I described all of this.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #4

Here is the lengthy but informative thread: if you read through it all you will reach the point where I posted a description with photos of my 30.5 CKTS Sumo install.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...20VS.%20Shocks

To your question about removing the existing spring plate: you will need to jack the unit off the ground by the frame, support the axle with blocking, and then remove the nuts and lift off the spring plate.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
Old 07-10-2021, 07:08 PM   #5

Man, thanks for all the info! Will read through all the info asap and it’ll help me a bunch I’m sure. I knew the kitchen side was heavier from the get-go, running it across a CAT scale. But even though it is, the rig still sits perfectly level side-to-side, which is surprising. At any rate, hope the SumoSprings help some with vibration and especially going over bridge transitions, etc. Hope you’ve had good results from yours. Thanks again!
Old 07-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #6

Yes—mainly taking the plate off and swapping them for a narrower plate in order to install a set of SumoSprings on our fifth wheel. Just not sure if there’s any “gotcha’s” in removing those plates. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2021, 07:27 PM   #7

I have had good results with the Sumos. I think the extra support, cushion, and shock absorption directly over the axle is the key. Shocks alone will absorb the impact, but weight carrying support all the time is what I was looking for. I am certain the Sumos take a lot of stress off the leaf springs; perhaps preventing or greatly delaying a broken spring from the those bridge joints! ( I know all about that from a previous experience!)
Old 07-11-2021, 05:47 AM   #8

Jason:

Yes—mainly taking the plate off and swapping them for a narrower plate in order to install a set of SumoSprings on our fifth wheel. Just not sure if there’s any “gotcha’s” in removing those plates. Thanks!