Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #1

Jayco Fifth Wheels

HI all, …
We're considering purchasing a Jayco Fifth Wheel and the 3 brands models are,
Eagle 319MLOK, 321RSTS, and the Pinnacle 32RTLS.

If there are any owners of those models out there could you give my your impressions of your experience with your Fifth Wheel?

Thanks, Dave
David Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #2

Hi
2017 321rsts here.
Love the layout of the trailer. Not planning on dealing trailers again! Like all RV manufacturers Jayco buys components from other companies. Jayco has a better than average warranty. Make sure you use it!
You asked for the good and bad.

Don't buy without dual air. It is just too big an area and not insulated enough for a 15k unit to keep up.
Ours has the dual pane glass it does help a little with summer heat. We put reflectix in the sun side windows and the bedroom.

We had issues with the big kitchen slide. Swintech system was never meant for that size slide in my humble opinion. Made a trip to factory to fix. It works properly now. Just remember all the way in or out and hold the button for 5 seconds after motors stop will help keep slide straight and motors sync'd.
We have the 12cf norcold fridge. I added two additional fans outside and one inside the fridge. It works much better now. Down to 20*F in freezer on 90* days
I added more insulation in the front bubble and under the floor. It has helped for heat and cooling. Front closet would get over 100F before.
Plan on replacing the mattress. The rv mattress is too thin and poorly made. We put an 8 or 10 inch foam queen mattress. Junked the original king mattress after a week.
I am considering putting disc brakes on when the time comes to replace the drum pads. They work but....They are drums.
Truck is diesel and we use the engine braking more then the trailer brakes.
Truck is 4 wheel discs.
Get the Morryde rubber pin box. Ours came with it. Less chucking better ride in truck.

I eternabonded all the roof openings and front seam. Not a fan of self leveling sealants.
They crack!
The front cap oxidized on ours in less than a year. Jayco paid to have it redone. It was painted and clearcoated.

Be prepared to fix some things, it comes with it free!

Would we buy another Jayco?
Probably but hope we don't have to!
YMMV
RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:50 PM   #3

We bought new 2019 383FKWS back in Feb - been out in it three times, for two weeks at a time and only really enjoy/like it....no real problems yet, decent workmanship, fairly sturdy, does get hot even though have two 15K A/Cs. Spacious, for my wife and I, lots of amenities...floor plan is great, plus the North Point winterization package worked well on our first trip - sub 32deg weather...We originally were sold on Grand Design 390, but on the way, saw this, loved it on sight ...much better build, warranty, got the NP at a RV show at fantastic price...
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #4

If money is not a problem, I would go with the Pinnacle. The extra 6" in width is very noticeable and gives you some extra room. If your overall length is 42' like mine, that's 21 sq ft extra...................in an RV 21 sq ft is a plus........JMHO.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #5

Pinnacle or NP if money is no issue. And also, if truck is no issue. I have the 321RSTS and per the scale I maxed out my SRW 3500. Really like the trailer aside from the kitchen slide. No issues as of yet, but I don’t trust it. I’m very cautious with it. Two AC’s and rubber pin as stated above. One AC can keep it cool, but you need 2 to cool it off after a day of driving in the heat. Ours has the residential fridge which we really like, but sometimes I wish I’d gone with a propane/electric RV fridge to make camping without hookups easier. Another option I really like is SaniCon. Makes dumping super fast. I just did a 2.5 week trip and didn’t use the stinky slinky till the last morning to be sure I got it all out.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #6

We just got our Pinnacle 32RLTS a couple of weeks ago. We got back from an 8 day shakedown trip yesterday. The only thing I found wrong was the water feed to the stool needed to be tightened. We had one 98 degree day and the a/c's had no problem keeping it cool. I did notice the bedroom air seemed to run more than the living room but not sure why.

Every system worked as it should. I am getting used to the BMPro system and actually am growing to like it. The wife is doing all the slides, leveling and awnings from her phone. Being the techy person she is she really likes it. I am a little nervous about the slides but they work. They seem to be nosier than our previous Excel which had hydraulic slides. As long as they work I guess it doesn't matter.

I did crawl all over and under it and I have been impressed with the fit and finish. It seems well put together and I am yet to find what I would consider sloppy workmanship.

There are a few things I am going to change over the next few months. Immediately is the mattress. The wife says no more trips until it is changed. I'm not impressed with the big Furrion tv. Not very good quality so I will change it out at some point along with the tinny sounding sound bar. The other thing is the lock set. Nothing wrong with it but I need to be just a little bit taller. I can reach it but it is a stretch for me. I already have an RV Locks remote controlled lock set to replace it.

It rides better than any fifth wheel we have ever had. I don't know if it is more the new truck or the Pinnacle or both. We got a lot of jerking from our rear kitchen Excel. We had the dealer remove the pin box and install a new Reese Goose Box I already had. The brakes work good enough but like was said earlier, discs might be in our future. So far we like everything about it.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #7

We have a 2019 Jayco 321 rsts which we love we love the floor plan compare to the last one we had. We had it almost one year now and the only thing that I can remember that went bad was the water heater but they quickly took care of that and since then nothing. We immediately replace the mattress and put a topper on it and now we sleep like babies and love it. The two a/c is a plus and ask me how I know when we went to Las Vegas and only had one a/c, I said never again.

Welcome to the forum, let us know which one you decide to go with, if I had to do it again I would have went with the Pinnacle but it was a little out of our price range but we love the one we have now.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carver View Post
HI all, …

If there are any owners of those models out there could you give my your impressions of your experience with your Fifth Wheel?

Thanks, Dave

What's your objective? Weekend trips? Couple of two week trips a year? Snowbird seasonal?
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #9

Thanks RoadRunner, …

Great Feedback.

Dave
Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #10

Thanks for the reply, …
My TV is a 2016 F-250 CC 6.7 so longer = heavier.
Was the reason you traded up to the Pinnacle only after a year was the extra width?
Old 06-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply,

For Now it's weekend trips to our local campground. But later longer trips.
Not thinking we'll ever be snowbirds. … It just doesn't get that cold here.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #12

Thanks for the reply, …

And I'll let you know how we go.

Right now we're in the very initial stages of research.

I did get on a waiting list at our storage facility for a larger slip.

Dave
Old 06-25-2020, 12:24 AM   #13

Eagle 319 MLOK model here. We love the trailer. Have only been out a couple of times so far. Any problems were due to operator error. I bought it because I was towing with my 06 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins. Truck towed the unit fine. As has been mentioned learn the procedures to use the slides and watch lipperts shwintek recovery videos. Our's have not given us any trouble but we are diligent to fully extend and retract them and hold the button for the 3-5 seconds dwell time. The BMPro will drain your battery even with the 12 volt cutoff switch off. There are threads on it here. I bought a small trickle charge solar panel and connected it direct to my battery. Now when I pick up our unit the battery shows full 12.5 volts and I have no problem with the BMPro working due to low voltage.
We do have the dual A/C units and did put a 3" topper on the king mattress....very comfy now.

Wife really loves the kitchen.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carver View Post
HI all, …

Thanks, Dave

First i would ask what are you pulling it with. No matter what others say the pinnacle is really a 1 ton requirement and dual rear wheels would be best.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
First i would ask what are you pulling it with. No matter what others say the pinnacle is really a 1 ton requirement and dual rear wheels would be best.

In post #10 OP says he has a 2016 F250 CC with the 6.7...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #16

321rsts or 310rlts

We’re relatively new to the RV scene and new to this forum. I have a similar question as to which one to buy. Is the 321rsts up to full time? Or should we fork out the extra and go with the North Point 310rlts? Called Jayco service and the girl was friendly and tried to help, but she was no engineer. Waiting for a reply email from them now. The truck will probably need to be upgraded to tow either one. Wife likes the Eagle better than the North Point, but I’m concerned it may not be strong enough to stand up over the long term. Our current unit stays at the lake and we try to camp every weekend. We’ll still pullout and go somewhere different occasionally. Is the difference between the frames and carrying capacity big enough to warrant stepping up to the North? I hope I’m not hijacking this thread here. Thanks
Rambling Drabek’s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
X2 and exactly why we bought the Eagle. I did it backwards as I had no intention of selling my 06 but got an offer on it and figured I shouldn't pass. IMHO the Eagle is great behind a properly setup 3/4 ton truck.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Drabek’s View Post
We’re relatively new to the RV scene and new to this forum. I have a similar question as to which one to buy. Is the 321rsts up to full time?

FWIW, the NorthPoint and Pinnacle Lines are the ones warrantied for full time. They both have the "5 Star Handling Package" that are essentially suspension upgrades plus Goodyear Endurance Tires and the MoRyde rubber pin box. Definitely consider truck capacity with these. We chose our truck solely based on the Trailer weights and the Ford towing chart.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
FWIW, the NorthPoint and Pinnacle Lines are the ones warrantied for full time. They both have the "5 Star Handling Package" that are essentially suspension upgrades plus Goodyear Endurance Tires and the MoRyde rubber pin box. Definitely consider truck capacity with these. We chose our truck solely based on the Trailer weights and the Ford towing chart.
Thanks for the info, I think I’ll try to sway the wife to the North Point. I’m hoping to get a good deal, but with all of the activity of people buying RV’s lately, there might not be much in the way of negotiations. As for the truck, I’m going to probably go for a good used F350 DW.
Rambling Drabek’s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #20

Yes, that will be a good setup I would have love to get a NP or a Pinnacle but we love what we have, there are so many nice fivers out there just pick the one you like and go for it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote