Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2022, 09:46 PM   #1

jayco inverter issue

will not switch from inverter to shore power. the relay clicks on and off. says error code 3. i have the xantrax 1200 freedom x. shore power to the camper is all good
sheald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 04:32 AM   #2

I don't know what it means but I found on page 6 of the owner's manual it says this:

Overload Shutdown
When the Freedom X’s AC load increases to near ~1100 W (Freedom X 1000 120VAC 12VDC) ~2100 W (Freedom X 2000 120VAC 12VDC or 24VDC as applicable) and ~3100 W (Freedom X 3000 120VAC 12VDC), the audible alarm beeps every five seconds for one minute and the LCD screen shows a error codeE03. The Status LED turns solid RED.

The manual goes on to say:
High Surge Loads
Some induction motors used in freezers, pumps, and other motor-
operated equipment require high surge currents to start. The
Freedom X may not be able to start some of these motors even
though their rated steady state current draw is within the inverter’s
limits. The unit will shut down and indicate an overload shutdown.

Have you confirmed the AC Power coming into your camper is safe? Do you have a Power Watchdog or some other EPO to confirm this?

The first thing I do when setting up the campsite is check the power. Since I have this Power Watchdog, I simply check my phone app to confirm the voltage and amps are correct and there is correct 'ground'. If anything is wrong, no power is allowed into the camper - the app explains what is the problem. This happened twice last year and we either moved to another spot or the campsite sent an electrician out to repair their unit. This could have saved us thousands.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:19 AM   #3

Try removing all power from the coach and disconnect the battery cables for 5 minutes. Hook the cables
back up. This may reset your inverter.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:28 PM   #4

We had this happen one time when we got to the campground and connected to shore power. The inverter did not want to automatically shift to bypass when I connected to shore power. Removed all power for couple of minutes, reconnected and everything worked as it should.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:14 AM   #5

Jayco inverter shore power

Hi Group,
I also have run in to the problem of no bypass on the inverter when hooking up to shore power. It goes directly to battery power. Thankfully it is operating fine in this mode.
I have tried every combination of unhooking battery, switch on, switch off, etc.
i am camping close to Yellowstone and didn’t want to access the inverter to look for a reset but guess i will. I have the xantrex 200o X in my Eagle 36 RBOK.
Anyone had this problem and resolved it, other than shut down and start up?
Does the inverter also charge the battery, or does the converter do that?
Thanks,
DeWayne
Dewmahurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #6

I figured it out. If the battery is dead it will not switch over to shore power even when you have shore on
sheald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmahurin View Post
Does the inverter also charge the battery, or does the converter do that?
Inverters do not charge batteries, converters do. While many units are inverter/converter combined, I think the X series is inverter only.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:10 AM   #8

I too have the Xantrex 1200, worked well initially then would not enter bypass. After calling Xantrex was told to check the AC power in at the waygo connectors in the Xantrex located behind the inspection plate on the rear of the inverter. Sure enough one of the white wires (AC in) was loose. I was able to secure the wire after googling the Waygo site to become familiar with the connectors. I fashioned a tool our of an old computer screwdriver and while laying on my back in the basement was able to secure that wire in the connector. That worked great for a month then had same issue again so checked the wires and found a bare ground wire at the same Waygo was loose, secured it and all is well. It seems in the hast to wire the unit the tech did not pay attention to his/her work.
Check the Waygo site, make a tool from a small screwdriver and bend the shank of it to afford room to open the connector, secure any/all loose wires if in fact they are loose and you should be good to go.
drwnkw67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:45 AM   #9

FYI: Wago
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote