Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2024, 05:36 PM   #1

Jayco must build these RV's by per daily Quota.

I bought an unused 2022 Pinnacle, after a time having an in depth inspection, one really comes to reality how hastily these trailers are built, such as:
left over coaxal ends under the couch, large & small wood screws stuck in the slide jam, drill bit scratches in the every window bracket, pile of wood shavings left in the electrical compartment, insulation & wood chips coming out of the duct work, numerous corner pieces inside the cupboards that were an inch or so too short. plumbing in the shower that was only hand tighten.
Reminds me of a rodeo contestant throwing his hands in air, tying his calf in record time.
Much of this is cosmetic and I'm sure all manufactures do the same rapid routine, but these are spose to be Jayco's top of the line.
Redneck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 05:40 PM   #2
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck51 View Post
I bought an unused 2022 Pinnacle, after a time having an in depth inspection, one really comes to reality how hastily these trailers are built, such as:
left over coaxal ends under the couch, large & small wood screws stuck in the slide jam, drill bit scratches in the every window bracket, pile of wood shavings left in the electrical compartment, insulation & wood chips coming out of the duct work, numerous corner pieces inside the cupboards that were an inch or so too short. plumbing in the shower that was only hand tighten.
Reminds me of a rodeo contestant throwing his hands in air, tying his calf in record time.
Much of this is cosmetic and I'm sure all manufactures do the same rapid routine, but these are spose to be Jayco's top of the line.

Oft mentioned and covered. Nothing has changed in years.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck51 View Post
Not defending the build, but some of which "should" have been caught by your dealer before selling it. You paid for dealer prep, look at the MSRP sheet.
Old 06-05-2024, 05:47 PM   #4

I agree with Grumpy. Half the crap we see people gripe about should have been covered in the PDI and walkthrough. Dealers, IMO, are the bigger problem.
Nevr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 06:03 PM   #5

Cammping World loves taking your money - they dont want to see you after that.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:52 AM   #6

It may be Jaycos top of the line but it is still poorly built and even worse, terrible support. Take a factory tour. Half the nails and screws miss what there supposed to be screwed into. The factory is a pig sty. There is no pride in their work and if I hear Amish quality one more time Iím going to throw up. I would love to see a foreign manufacturer come into the market. Hopefully it would do what they did to the automotive market.
mtpocket21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocket21 View Post
It may be Jaycos top of the line but it is still poorly built and even worse, terrible support. Take a factory tour. Half the nails and screws miss what there supposed to be screwed into. The factory is a pig sty. There is no pride in their work and if I hear Amish quality one more time Iím going to throw up. I would love to see a foreign manufacturer come into the market. Hopefully it would do what they did to the automotive market.
We couldn't be happier. Our camper is wonderful. Our dealer has been great to answer any questions and handle the couple warranty items we discovered fast. The dealer didn't tell us our ordered camper arrived from Jayco until they had completed their prep (two weeks?).
One year later, the color of the adhesive used on the vinyl floor began to blead through and Jayco picked it up and replaced all the flooring at the factory. That took less than a month and you'd never know it was changed.
I'm really sorry some people are having problems with their camper. Campers are not made like cars, no moving assembly line with one person installing a component and it moves down the line to the next person to install another, there are no robots. Metal components welded and screwed into auto components is not the same as a wood box wood-screwed into another wood box.
If you want to compare a rv camper assembly quality to another retail item, a mobile home would be a better comparison.
This is our third camper... first Jayco, and it's exceeded our expectations.
Recently they are sending out survey's to registered owners asking about their happiness with the product. I'm eager to see the results. Have you been asked to complete a survey from Jayco?
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 05:30 PM   #8

I thought they were paid piece work. The faster they roll em out, the more they make.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
I thought they were paid piece work. The faster they roll em out, the more they make.
They only build "x" per day and when that number is complete they can go home. Kind of like piece work, but no more money.
Old 06-06-2024, 05:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They only build "x" per day and when that number is complete they can go home. Kind of like piece work, but no more money.

Which in itself is incentive for slap-dash work.
Old 06-06-2024, 05:38 PM   #11
CAG

We bought a BMW, after having several Lexus. The BMW was such a POS that BMW bought it back after a lemon law suit.

We bought a RV that was a national brand name. It had so many repeat problems that we used the lemon law (Magnuson-Moss) to recoup some of our loss for repairs. Both worked.

There are options but getting on some RV blog and trashing the company really does not do much good other than give you a good feeling. You still have not recouped your losses. So take action rather than rant!

Your problem is that you bought a used RV and are pretty much stuck with what is there, and likely some of your problems were caused by previous owners.

Old 06-06-2024, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Your problem is that you bought a used RV and are pretty much stuck with what is there, and likely some of your problems were caused by previous owners.
OP said it was an "unused" 2020, never sold I assume.
Old 06-06-2024, 05:54 PM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
OP said it was an "unused" 2020, never sold I assume.

Ok, My bad but still the same in the end. Use the legal avenues available and spend less time whining on RV blogs. Sorry that may be a bit harsh but what are the rest of us going to do about it? Venting satisfies one person.

Old 06-06-2024, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Ok, My bad but still the same in the end. Use the legal avenues available and spend less time whining on RV blogs. Sorry that may be a bit harsh but what are the rest of us going to do about it? Venting satisfies one person.
Don't disagree and as I've said before, there are many more good to great apples than lemons coming out of most RV plants and from dealerships.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:14 PM   #15
CAG

What you said!

Old 06-07-2024, 03:09 AM   #16

I participate in "bad builds / bad service" threads not to be whining, complaining, or bashing. I see them as consumer Buyer Beware advisories. I realize that not everyone shares that mindset and not all the product / service information we discuss is accurately presented.

The manufacturers and the dealers both need to do better than they are doing - a lot better. I had a dealership relationship like Stan and Sharon many years ago and enjoyed it the way they described above. Those types of dealers are not available to most buyers. The other kind are the norm.

If X% of TT builds are acceptable, but mine is not, you're going to see the details about it on the forum. I'm happy for those who were satisfied up front. I understand the frustrations of those who received an inferior build.

And (you have all seen this comment before by me) we are part of the problem because we continue to pay inflated prices for inferior products. Travel trailers are built to satify shareholders, not consumers.

Now, to give them their due, they are trying to exist in the same economic environment we are. If you buy a $75 dollar garden hose, it has 50 cent connections on the ends. I replace them with brass ends and hose clamps before it is used.

We bought new kitchen towels recently and there is so much plastic in them they move water around the counter but don't absorb it.

If we had a thread regarding all consumer crap it would be a big one.

Bottom line: If you buy a new TT, plan to go to work on it. It's not unusual that you didn't get all you paid for - quality and service.
Old 06-07-2024, 05:44 AM   #17

Here is an excellent youtube video.
Why are Amish Building Trashy RVs?
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 08:04 AM   #18

I looked at price per foot of the top brands with the best reputations for quality. Then I thought how does another company manage to sell the same length trailer for almost half that price?

Omitting equipment, omitting labor steps, speeding up labor to the max, and subbing cheaper components sums up most of what I could come up with. It's not just accepting a lower profit.

Consumers will decide how much quality manufacturers can cut and still sell units. From what I've seen, given the choice of a 27' or 30' at the same price, "more length for your money" wins out over "more quality for your money".
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 10:52 AM   #19

Build quality

Well, one major problem is that owners are not able to fix small stuff and do regular check say of the water connectors, batteries, in engine compartment etc.
Thankfully I am able to do those things and have never been at a dealer.
It helps reading forums and Yutube.
Why wait endless for small warranty issues, you can fix that.
Greetings
1956 Austin Healey 100-4,
2007 Mercedes SL550
They all keep me busy
Hbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 11:11 AM   #20

I remember when we bought our current TT, the only new camper we have ever purchased. It looks spotless clean. I had dug through all the nooks as crannies before we took it on our first trip. My DW is a clean freak, and we cleaned it from top to bottom. Never saw any sawdust, screws, wire scraps

When we arrived to our destination point probably for the first 4 or so trips, we would find piles of mostly sawdust. Always in the same locations in the middle of the floor.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote