Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Jayco Pinnacle 38FLFS??

We're seriously kicking around the idea of purchasing one of these so I'm looking for advice, comments, gotchas, etc. on the 38FLFS. If you have this model or the 38FLSA, I'd love to hear from you since they're relatively close in terms of size, weight and features.

This is one big mama coming close to 41' and weighing in at hefty 2,200-2500 lbs dry pin weight. Obviously, I'm going to have to move up to a DRW to accommodate that type of weight.

Our ultimate goal is to full-time it but I see that being somewhat gradual since I have to downsize the home and eliminate a good deal of my stuff (tools, furniture, etc.). In the meantime, I've got to find a place to keep it while we figure out what we really need on-board. One thought is to actually move into it while we figure out the rest although that makes living more expensive... at least for a while. How have others done this?

Thanks folks for any constructive comments.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

My local dealer had a 38flfs in stock and we walked through it, beautiful! If I was going full time that would be the unit I'd pick.

bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #3

Look at the GVWR. You will be close to that weight when you get everything in there especially if you are full-timing! That is a lot of weight, even for a DRW vehicle, close to 16,000 pounds I believe. Also, that pin weightwill be close to or better than 3000 pounds by the time you get everything in your rig. The pin weight on my 2011 Pinnacle was 3550 lbs.

2016 Eagle 323 LKTS
2009 GMC 1-ton Dually Diesel
djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

I've been looking at the Pinnacle vs the Eagle Premier.
1.) The shower in the Pinnacle has a low shower door so water will splash out very easily where as the Eagle has a residential shower / tub which was very roomy for a 6' 2" 330# person.
2.) I despise the glass bowl sink in the bathroom (this alone is enough for me to not buy the Pinnacle).
3.) The price difference between the 2 are BIG. I think you're paying more for the name "Pinnacle". IMO
4.) I like the dinette area in the Pinnacle vs no slide for dinning in the Eagle.
I checked with RV Direct for pricing for the 2 and they bar far were cheaper than any dealer I had quote them for us.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
Look at the GVWR. You will be close to that weight when you get everything in there especially if you are full-timing! That is a lot of weight, even for a DRW vehicle, close to 16,000 pounds I believe. Also, that pin weightwill be close to or better than 3000 pounds by the time you get everything in your rig. The pin weight on my 2011 Pinnacle was 3550 lbs.
Thanks for the sanity check. You're right about the GVWR. It's very close to 16k lbs. The DRW I'm looking at can accommodate the pin weight even at 3.5k lbs but I've got to make sure the GCVWR is well within limits.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
1.) The shower in the Pinnacle has a low shower door so water will splash out very easily where as the Eagle has a residential shower / tub which was very roomy for a 6' 2" 330# person.
2.) I despise the glass bowl sink in the bathroom (this alone is enough for me to not buy the Pinnacle).
3.) The price difference between the 2 are BIG. I think you're paying more for the name "Pinnacle". IMO
4.) I like the dinette area in the Pinnacle vs no slide for dinning in the Eagle.
I checked with RV Direct for pricing for the 2 and they bar far were cheaper than any dealer I had quote them for us.
Thanks! I too hate the glass bowl sinks. I'll take your advice and check out the the Premier model. And yes, RV Direct so far is offering the best prices.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
Are you looking at an older unit. The 2015 on JAYCO'S web site has a regular sink in the FLFS. As far as the shower we had that type in the SENECA and never had any water on the floor.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #8

I went back last night and looked at all of the photos of the 38FLFS and didn't see the glass sink but I do remember seeing it on one of the units some dealer had for sale online. Perhaps Grumpy is on to something and this was a feature they changed back to the more sensible regular sink. Ditto on the shower... we have one in our current Eagle and it's been just fine and no leaking over/around the door.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #9

The only problem in my opinion with the front living , and this applies to all manufactures is the basement storage. Very small for full timing.
RICK03HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK03HD View Post
The only problem in my opinion with the front living , and this applies to all manufactures is the basement storage. Very small for full timing.
But there is more inside storage, at least in the FLSA, with a lot of it in the BR especially above the closet so it helps counteract the pin weight.