Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #1

Jayco pinnacle

What is involved with generator prep from Jayco
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #2

I'm thinking but not sure that if you have the prep all you have to do is to turn it on when you need it, I know I have the prep down in my front storage compartment and I have the button inside my unit to just push it on when I need it. Hopefully someone will chime in who have it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #3

The prep is all the wiring has been run and is hanging there in ends. The fuel tank should also be included. All you should have to do is purchase the generator unit, put it in and connect the wires.
At least that's how my Northpoint came.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
The prep is all the wiring has been run and is hanging there in ends. The fuel tank should also be included. All you should have to do is purchase the generator unit, put it in and connect the wires.
At least that's how my Northpoint came.
The new units come with a 3rd LP bottle instead of a gas tank. JAYCO is now using LP units.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The new units come with a 3rd LP bottle instead of a gas tank. JAYCO is now using LP units.
That's interesting to know. I forgot my Northpoint has a door on the right side for a third LP bottle.
I use that space for storage of my wheel chocks and foot boards for my leveling system. And I hide my spare key in there.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

All plug and play but the exhaust. Compartment, fire box, wiring, transfer switch, remote start, LP hose, etc.
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
And I hide my spare key in there.
Not hidden any more.....
Old 09-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Not hidden any more.....
If you're ever in michigan you now know where it's at so you can raid the icebox! Lol!
And the wife ALWAYS has good stuff in there!
Old 09-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #9

Can I just plug in my power cord straight to the generator
Old 09-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Can I just plug in my power cord straight to the generator
Depends on what kind of generator. The Onan's don't come with receptacles, they are designed to be hard wired.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Interesting because we have a spot for the 3rd LP but ours came with a gas tank. When we ordered the unit we were told it was going to be LP.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Interesting because we have a spot for the 3rd LP but ours came with a gas tank. When we ordered the unit we were told it was going to be LP.
Our 15 was gasoline so your's may have been built during the transition. I do know they made the goose neck shorter for 2016 which increased the storage space.

When we had our rig at the factory for the crack repair I wanted to pay for them to modify the doors to the side swing, but they couldn't because our goose neck was longer. We could open our tailgate and I still had room to get between it and the FW.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #13

Mine had a30amp plug
Old 10-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #14

Onan Generator melted door

I have a 2017 Pinnacle that was prewired for a generator from the factory. I had the dealership put a hard wired Onan generator in place. They ran the exhaust pipe and it works fine except........when I ran it one night, it melted and warped the door of the compartment that the generator is in and the heat actually caused the batteries to boil over! Does this installation require that I keep the door open the whole time I am running the generator? The dealership that installed it doesn't know what to do to fix the issue.
Jxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxfire View Post
I have a 2017 Pinnacle that was prewired for a generator from the factory. I had the dealership put a hard wired Onan generator in place. They ran the exhaust pipe and it works fine except........when I ran it one night, it melted and warped the door of the compartment that the generator is in and the heat actually caused the batteries to boil over! Does this installation require that I keep the door open the whole time I am running the generator? The dealership that installed it doesn't know what to do to fix the issue.
Interesting because that was our concern as well - getting too hot. There are no vents on the door (our previous 5ver had vents). When we asked was told that the newer gen units vent through the bottom and there are no worries. So far we have only run the unit with the door open - monthly cycle. Going to be interesting this winter.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #16

I removed a onan 5500 generator from my 2010 designer before trading it in ordered new pinnacle with prep and there are 4 wires to connect with wire nuts in junction box supplied with new trailer colors match and a molded plug for the start stop prime function that is simply a plug in,also a positive battery cable direct from battery and a ground cable that goes gen frame to trailer frame on one of the mounting bolts , add exhaust and all worked ,took a couple hours and easy to do . hardest part is gen weighs 280lb. so getting it up and in the opening without damaging anything was a challenge
also don't forget to remove the wooden floor in the compartment leaving it open for ventilation ,only thing under gen is 2 pieces of angle iron with 2 holes each for mounting bolts. neither my 2010 or new pinnacle have any ventilation panels in the compartment door never had a heat problem with 2010 designer haven't used pinnacle enough to know yet but in identical location
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxfire View Post
Did they forget to remove the bottom pan from the compartment? The cooling fan on the geny blows straight down and the compartment should be completely open under it. The one we had in our PINNACLE never got the un-vented door hot and I ran it in 90 degree weather.