Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #1

Jayco Quality

Took our 317RLOK on its first trip, set-up went well and all was good, until the next morning when I discovered water leaking all over the basement.
The picture says it all......love JAYCO quality!
Attached Thumbnails
20170915_111721.jpg  
Old 10-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #2

To stay competitive in the market they need to build these rigs quick. Yea it's a bummer when we discover these issues, but the truth is even big money rigs have the same thing happen. You pretty much have to go over everything and tidy up the production problems, then after that, give it a lot of attention on an ongoing basis for things that pop up. The good news is your in the right place here to get help with the really tough stuff that comes up. Lots of smart experienced people here. Don't let it get you down. Fix her up, have some fun camping, then wait for the next issue.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

To be competitive in the market, they could build an actual quality product. And they could do it quickly, and for not much different pricing.

I have had discussions with them about how they could at least do wiring faster, and with better quality for miniscule cost additions, but they aren't interested, and people here will just continue to make excuses for them.
Retired - 1996 Coleman Cheyenne Pop-Up
RIP Chloe, a very good dog - 9/15/01-12/02/17

johnsoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

I haven't jumped back in b/c honestly I have a very real sense of relief and freedom from having to worry about what could be broken or possibly leaking on my RV at any given time.

That's just me though. I ALWAYS wondered on camp setup or camp break-down if I was going to get hung out w/ a bad leveling jack, or if my slide was going to cooperate, or if I was going to find a leak this trip out, etc.

It just wasn't worth it to me. RV'ing is a very personal choice and I know many live w/ the shoddy craftsmanship and build quality and justify all of it for the pleasure the rig brings. And I'll agree, we made a lot of great memories in our campers. But I also know that any one of our vacations could have been hosed badly if we lost a slideout or a jack got hung up or heaven knows what else.

Mind you my personal feelings on this matter were far more pointed when I had a motorhome. If your trailer gives you real problems you could always limp it to the overflow area and head out in your TV. If the motorhome has issues, you REALLY have issues. Plus, for the obscene price, I really didn't want to tolerate my A/C or something taking a dump on me for the couple of weeks I could use it. Florida/Disney w/ no AC is the pitts - that's not vacation to me.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1 View Post
Took our 317RLOK on its first trip, set-up went well and all was good, until the next morning when I discovered water leaking all over the basement.
Broke or just not threaded together? Also did your dealer run water and check everything like they're supposed too before you took delivery?.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
To stay competitive in the market they need to build these rigs quick. Yea it's a bummer when we discover these issues, but the truth is even big money rigs have the same thing happen. You pretty much have to go over everything and tidy up the production problems, then after that, give it a lot of attention on an ongoing basis for things that pop up. The good news is your in the right place here to get help with the really tough stuff that comes up. Lots of smart experienced people here. Don't let it get you down. Fix her up, have some fun camping, then wait for the next issue.
We had a rough start with our trailer. Water leak, slide noise and finish work that quality control @ the factory should’ve caught.

The DW was losing her mind over things but I calmed her down and told her we’re fortunate it’s nothing major. Those issues have been addressed and some others came up but nothing that can’t be fixed.

Some of the stuff we’ve taken care of and the rest will be for the dealership to handle. But we’re still camping and enjoying our trailer.

I just wish our dealer wasn’t a volume seller because the wait time is 4+ weeks to get in for our minor warranty work.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #7

Before we bought our 2018 model in August we scoured the net, these issues seem to trouble all manufactureres. The only issue we have had is the couch is a little crooked on one side. Overall we are pleases but may be lucky.
Forsyth1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #8

Quality and speed are sorta mutually exclusive. They build 32 trailers a day. How careful can they be? See it here and decide.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #9

Unfortunately not much is written by those of us that are very happy with our units. Was mine perfect? No. I found quite a few things to fix and did so. I had to have my CD/DVD player changed out and the tires were no bueno por nada... Since getting all the little stuff and player fixed, we've been quite happy with ours... I'm just back from another 5 day trip and had absolutely no problems. I don't consider that making excuses.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Quality and speed are sorta mutually exclusive. They build 32 trailers a day. How careful can they be? See it here and decide.
This video has been sped up and has been listed as bogus on JOF numerous times. Many feel it was " manipulated" by one of JAYCO'S competitors.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #11

Thank you Grumpy I trust your judgement. I will add that I am very happy with my Greyhawk considering what I paid for it. A comparable rig like in Australia and some other countries is much more money. If the moderator would like to take that post/video down that would be fine with me.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #12

Have to agree with Grumpy too! Wife and I were talking the other day about, how could it possibly be good avertising, bragging about how you can push out so many trailers out the door in a day!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
#1Remembories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1 View Post
Had the same thing happen. That female piece that threads onto the fixture was cracked (maybe Jayco bought a bad batch from a manufacturer).

I was lucky enough to have a union there, so removed that section and put it in a vice and cut relief cuts in the lower remaining piece and chiseled out the pieces. This saved me a lot of cutting and replacing the whole p-trap section given mine was for the bathtub and I only had a few inches to work in without major headache.
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:00 AM   #14

The RV industry has the same issues every other industry has...getting people that care...heck even just show up. Kids don't want to work, they want to make big $$ and do nothing...and sadly.. those that do show up just do as little as they can to get by. This is in every industry and every company nationwide. The bar is so low if you just show up each day your a super star.. it certainly isn't because a company has a policy to build poor products.

I'm glad I'm retired and not trying to hire people for my company anymore... Perhaps if we cut welfare and bring back shop class's to schools you would see people more willing to work.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:11 AM   #15

Had they same with mine when new. All drains were loose. It was like the drains were roughed in but nobody came around to finish. Luckily I noticed it right away, I went around and tightened all those connections, all were barely snug. Wish I new more about PDI's before hand. Our mindset was new is new, that new smell plays with the mind. Wags is right on also.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I haven't jumped back in b/c honestly I have a very real sense of relief and freedom from having to worry about what could be broken or possibly leaking on my RV at any given time.

That's just me though. I ALWAYS wondered on camp setup or camp break-down if I was going to get hung out w/ a bad leveling jack, or if my slide was going to cooperate, or if I was going to find a leak this trip out, etc.

It just wasn't worth it to me. RV'ing is a very personal choice and I know many live w/ the shoddy craftsmanship and build quality and justify all of it for the pleasure the rig brings. And I'll agree, we made a lot of great memories in our campers. But I also know that any one of our vacations could have been hosed badly if we lost a slideout or a jack got hung up or heaven knows what else.

Mind you my personal feelings on this matter were far more pointed when I had a motorhome. If your trailer gives you real problems you could always limp it to the overflow area and head out in your TV. If the motorhome has issues, you REALLY have issues. Plus, for the obscene price, I really didn't want to tolerate my A/C or something taking a dump on me for the couple of weeks I could use it. Florida/Disney w/ no AC is the pitts - that's not vacation to me.
I understand and empathize with your position. I think we have to be clear: Owning an RV is like owning a boat, a plane, a classic car, etc. You have to know what you are getting into. With all of these hobbies, you will spend money and time. Much of the frustration is alleviated if you enjoy tinkering, modifying, and repairing. If you do not care to use your time, money, and tools on a hobby, then you should not own an RV unless you have the wallet to allow others to work for you and you can afford the gross financial depreciation of the RV. All RVs are luxury items, completely unnecessary, unless you use it as your home because you have no other viable housing option.

It is important to go into RV ownership with your eyes wide open.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
I understand and empathize with your position. I think we have to be clear: Owning an RV is like owning a boat, a plane, a classic car, etc. You have to know what you are getting into. With all of these hobbies, you will spend money and time. Much of the frustration is alleviated if you enjoy tinkering, modifying, and repairing. If you do not care to use your time, money, and tools on a hobby, then you should not own an RV unless you have the wallet to allow others to work for you and you can afford the gross financial depreciation of the RV. All RVs are luxury items, completely unnecessary, unless you use it as your home because you have no other viable housing option.

It is important to go into RV ownership with your eyes wide open.
These are accurate words... However, aircraft are at least manufactured by a set of standards set many years ago and they have to be closely followed. You won't find any such in RV or Marine manufacturing. The automobile industry is only slightly better. I guess I have always enjoyed tinkering. The only time one of my 3 trailers ever went back to the dealer was when my current one went back for the CD/DVD player to be replaced. I could not talk the dealership into just swapping the bad one for the good. I'd rather spend a couple of hours fixing it myself, carefully and correctly, than spend an hour in DFW traffic each way to deliver it to the dealer. After all, I'd bet that most dealer techs are as described earlier in this thread. It's nothing new... my 45 years in telecommunications showed me that. If we had 2 or 3 in a crew of 8 that pulled their weight, I felt lucky. All in all, I think all RV manufacturers are faced with pretty poor performance. I think some companies and brands are worse than others, but not by much... sadly...
Old 10-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
I have commented on this video numerous times over the years. The video was allowed to be made by Jayco, the guy showing you how they are made works for them. I believe it first aired on CNBC several years ago. That being said here are my copied and pasted thoughts from another thread on that video:

A few things about that video which has been used to bash Jayco many times since it came out several years ago:

Jayco obviously gave consent to have it done, so its not like someone snuck in the plant and caught them in the act.

The model being made is a uncomplicated no slide 26BH, and its hard to find a 26BH owner on the forum that is unhappy with their unit. IE member SmokerBill has been fulltiming in one for years. A larger, more complex multi slide unit would likely take longer to build.

The 7 hours is final assembly time. The cabinets, frame, roof trusses, walls, furniture, appliances, etc are all pre made thus increasing the overall assembly time.

The workers could be showing off for the camera. Would be difficult to maintain that pace all day, everyday I would think.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I have commented on this video numerous times over the years. The video was allowed to be made by Jayco, the guy showing you how they are made works for them. I believe it first aired on CNBC several years ago. That being said here are my copied and pasted thoughts from another thread on that video:

A few things about that video which has been used to bash Jayco many times since it came out several years ago:

Jayco obviously gave consent to have it done, so its not like someone snuck in the plant and caught them in the act.

The model being made is a uncomplicated no slide 26BH, and its hard to find a 26BH owner on the forum that is unhappy with their unit. IE member SmokerBill has been fulltiming in one for years. A larger, more complex multi slide unit would likely take longer to build.

The 7 hours is final assembly time. The cabinets, frame, roof trusses, walls, furniture, appliances, etc are all pre made thus increasing the overall assembly time.

The workers could be showing off for the camera. Would be difficult to maintain that pace all day, everyday I would think.
True, John McDonald has been there for years. But as you can even see by the title the word "junk" has been added. This is an advertising video that someone copied and modified including speeding it up to discredit JAYCO.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
True, John McDonald has been there for years. But as you can even see by the title the word "junk" has been added. This is an advertising video that someone copied and modified including speeding it up to discredit JAYCO.
Oh yes I agree Grumpy that is not the original and was modified by a disgrunt. I remember when the original first aired and for sure the word "junk" was not there lol.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote