Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersfish View Post
I'm glad to hear that you got all of your issues resolved with your Eagle. I have the same RV only a year older and I can't get anyone...not even Jayco, to respond to the problems I'm having. My trailer has been in the shop about 5 months out of the 24 we've owned it and it's still not fixed!!

I live in the Phoenix area so taking the trailer to Indiana is a 1500+ mile trek one way.

I wish Jayco would force their selling dealers to make adequate and competent repairs under their supervision. I've resolved to just live with the issues that came up during warranty and make the best use of the trailer as I can't get anyone to repair it. I'm hoping I don't have any major slide issues but it looks like I might based on the discussions in this forum.

As of now, I'll never be a Jayco customer again...
Nor will we. We have a 201823MRB Whitehawk. The forward window began leaking in rainstorm the day after we took delivery. The LP furnaces failed after two weeks use. There were other issues with the awning and some miscellaneous. I will keep it simple: CW had our unit for over 5 months and didn't fix the furnace or reset the leaking window. Jayco was rude and unaccomodating. CW dealer where we bought it was ineffective. Ultimately, after 5 different techs across the country claimed they had fixed the LP furnace and failed, we bought a new sail switch for $20 and replaced it ourselves. Furnace works fine for the past two months. Jayco and CW are both useless and keep blaming each other for their poor warranty service. They both are blatant to insult our intelligence.
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #22

Plus side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBob View Post
... there are stories like this for just about every brand out there. That doesn't make it okay, but it's not just a Jayco thing unfortunately.

I had a Jayco Jayflight SLX 18.5 RB that was relatively trouble free. Only had a studor valve under the sink fail and undersized AC. I traded it for a FR Salem Cruise Lite 241 QBXL and lite it was. Delivered with fresh water tank fill tube crushed between the frame and floor. Trim problems everywhere. Could see light under door threshold. Bedroom platform was so weak nearly ended up in the basement. Oh, and it was tail heavy and even when totally unloaded would try to fish tail even in moderate cross wind. (398 lb tongue weight with spare moved under frame up front and 30lb propane tanks full-4400 lb trailer). Kicker was when I found the dinette pulling away from the sidewall and the staples were all that was holding things together to begin with. I put about 16k miles under the Jayflight in 49 months. I got less than 10K miles in 23 months with the Salem, and have more than that on my Jayfeather, with 19 months under my belt.

On delivery I took exception with CW to front cap which had screws poking the back side and fracturing fiberglass. "Bring it back to us at your convenience" was the response.
During the first week of ownership I noted the fresh tank would fill, and overflow under the RV behind rf wheel. Found vent looped up and poked through a hole in the floor...which I fixed myself.
Months later, found various trim pieces loose, falling off, bought BIG bottle of Gorilla Glue, and have used about 1/4th of it. Slide trim required screws, FYI.
A year ago, while at Texas Motor Speedway, noticed AC not doing it's job. Had trip planned to Scottsdale end of November, and while out there it quit completely. Eric's Mobile RV of Phoenix diagnosed (no charge) AC out with a leak and advised Jayco would replace but he didn't have a 15k btu on hand.

OK thanks, called Pharr RV of Lubbock, made appointment to fix front cap, diagnose AC, fix shower leak, reposition external grill gas connector, replace about 15 feet of trim insert on slide and street side damaged when unit delivered. Parts came in, they fixed everything but AC, since it was in the 20's-30's during the stay, and asked I bring it back. In February, they did replace the AC, but forgot to transfer the strip heater, so after trip to Phoenix in March, stopped by on the way home, and they took care of me.
I for one am thrilled I found a Jayco outlet that will work on my unit. And it is a TT, so keep up with the little things before they get big...
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #23

I’ve had Coachman TT before my present Jayco. What a difference. In my estimations Jayco is low class with high prices. It’s Ben 18 months for me and I still have issues. I’ve had to solve mine own problems with little help
Next unit will be another unit other than Jayco but the dealer better set a whole day before I sign for ownership. Pre delivery inspection will be on each and every item including running the shower, flushing toilet, draining sinks, storage area, checking roofing, awnings, etc. I f they don’t like it I won’t be signing.
txauditr-ret. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by txauditr-ret. View Post
Next unit will be another unit other than Jayco but the dealer better set a whole day before I sign for ownership. Pre delivery inspection will be on each and every item including running the shower, flushing toilet, draining sinks, storage area, checking roofing, awnings, etc. I f they don’t like it I won’t be signing.
This is the way that every PDI should be conducted. Review everything before signing papers or writing a check.

I'm no expert by any means, but when I purchased my 2017, I viewed the unit no less than 3 times before I wrote the check.

The first time we looked at it, we had the kids with us. We spent the better part of an afternoon sitting in the unit, having the kids climb in and out of the bunks. We converted the dinette, folded down the Murphy bed, sat on the toilet of all things, stood in the shower, opened all of the exterior compartments, messed with the outside kitchen, and I even crawled on the roof and under the trailer to inspect.

The second time, I looked it over top to bottom with my wife and father with me but no kids. This gave us the time to pick it apart. Before this inspection, I had the dealer pull the unit over to the building, fill it with water, and run all of the systems. Each of us had a notebook and wrote down items that needed attention. We compared the notes at the end and gave a list (thankfully it wasn't an extensive one....a couple of latches, a few spots on the dicor on the roof, etc.) to the dealer to have completed before I would pay or take delivery.

When we went back to pick up the unit, this is when we did the "PDI" with the dealer. We went through the unit again and tried every system one more time and confirmed that our punch list items were completed. Once we were happy, we then went in, wrote the check, and pulled it home.

I don't know many people that take this amount of time to inspect their potential new units. But if they did, I guarantee you that the initial quality complaints that we hear about so often would be drastically reduced.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #25

We are in the middle of going through a recall/warranty issue with our axles which Jayco pawned off on Dexter. So far Dexter has been fine to deal with, but Jayco wanted nothing to do with it. Seems to me when Jayco's name is on it, Jayco should be the party getting things taking care of. I actually feel more comfortable dealing with Dexter than I do Jayco, so this might not be to bad. Be warned Whitehawk owners, have your drum assemblies inspected. Fortunately, we caught it before it became a major issue along an interstate somewhere.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiofinlander View Post
We are in the middle of going through a recall/warranty issue with our axles which Jayco pawned off on Dexter. So far Dexter has been fine to deal with, but Jayco wanted nothing to do with it. Seems to me when Jayco's name is on it, Jayco should be the party getting things taking care of. I actually feel more comfortable dealing with Dexter than I do Jayco, so this might not be to bad. Be warned Whitehawk owners, have your drum assemblies inspected. Fortunately, we caught it before it became a major issue along an interstate somewhere.
It has always been that way. Dexter has a longer warranty on the axle (5 yrs) than JAYCO had on the trailer. So they didn't PAWN anything off.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It has always been that way. Dexter has a longer warranty on the axle (5 yrs) than JAYCO had on the trailer. So they didn't PAWN anything off.
Good to know, as I said Dexter has been fine with it so far.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #28

It seems to me though that when you buy a trailer you don’t get a 2 yr warranty from Jayco etc.. What you really get is a shove off by Jayco and the warranties given Jayco by their suppliers ...Furrion, Dometic,Norcold, etc. None of which assume responsibility since we sold it to Jayco..... its their problem. So much for Amish quality
txauditr-ret. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #29

It is not just Jayco. The entire industry does this.
One day someone will start manufacturing campers with a controlled mfg. process and rigid quality control as the automotive industry has and wake everyone up! Until then they all continue to pump out garbage. Imagine taking your car in for service under warranty and have them tell you to contact the company that made the part.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #30
Site Team

There's a large Amish population around the Elkhart area, so it stands to reason there's going to be Amish folks working at Jayco, and maybe other brands, too.

We bought our 2012 because we were impresses with the craftsmanship of the real wood cabinetry and stiles. We had seen many other trailers that caught our eye, but the construction was not screwed-and-glued real wood, just wallpaper over something. It didn't look as good.

The manufacturers of the installed appliances supplied their own warranty, some with the opportunity to extend them, when we got the manuals for everything in the camper. Jayco dealers could be described as a conduit between everyone involved in a warranty claim.

23 years ago, we bought a 33' TT (SOB) at a show. Actually ordered one exactly like the one there. The dealer was 80 miles away from us. They delivered it to our land, the driver almost wrecked it, and us, twice along the way. There was no PDI, thank you, nothing. I filled the water heater, and when the DW turned it on, sparks, and smoke that filled the camper. A dead short on a 10 gauge wire. The dealer ordered a new one. When it came in, he baulked at shipping it to the mobile repairman that was to replace it. He said I looked like the kind of guy that could replace it myself. NO. After no action from him for over a month, AFTER he had the new one, I placed a polite, but extremely firm and pointed call to him, explaining what was going to happen on his part. Nothing involving legal people at all. Finally, it was replaced on site, and you'd never even know the guy was there, except for his business card on the table.

The call I placed to the water heater manufacturer resulted in them telling me, they only test the gas side, not the electric side. Really!

Issues with campers have been happening for a very long time, and from every brand out there. I've never seen any dealer without a service department.

I'm done, now. Thanks for listening.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #31

Hi there all I too had issues with my 2017. I posted this here last year but here is the complete list:

2017 Seneca 37TS Waranty work done
Well... after 3 months and 3 weeks at camping world (not there fault) for warranty work all my problems were resolved by CW on our new Seneca that we purchased from RV express on Thanksgiving week 2016. We accumulated a list of the issues through out 2017. None prevented us from using the Seneca in 2017 as we made adjustments. All the issues dealt with the house part and only 1 small chassis issue. I think our Seneca was assembled on a Friday and continued on a Monday
Issues:
  1. The bedroom slide would slide in and out crooked. Either my DW or myself had to guide the bedroom slide in/out by pushing the bed with our leg until it was fully opened or closed.Solution: rear track is not set out all the way equal to the rest. Lower rail was set to be equal to others but did not fully resolved the issue. They then replaced Block bearings and shoes which resolved the problem 4hrs for that fix
  2. Bed room and outside TV will not Auto scan. Solution: Splitter @ booster at front TV mis-wired. Cable going to outside TV was shorted out. Removed panel in front, Re-wire correctly ohming out to what-is-what. Run new coax from front down windshield pillars down under unit and up and over into s/o for out side TV. 3.7 hrs.
  3. Storage in sofa will not latch (I tried to fix this myself) Solution Metal catch at bottom is hitting the wood on drawer not allowing it to catch. Cut back bottom part pf wood until it catches .2 hrs
  4. Hinged Cabinet door hinged pulled out of cabinet. Solution new door and 2 new hinges.
  5. The other issues were: screws missing in dash. screw Filler plugs missing above microwave, bedroom back closet door opens in transit added two roller latch at bottom of each door, freeze door had to be realigned would not stay fully latched.
  6. One very minor chassis issue that I need to take to TransWest as CW does not do Chassis work even though they diagnose the issue. The passenger power window switch on the dash will not close the window, it opens it, at least the switch on the Door works.
Issues I fixed:
Preparing for our maiden voyage to a campsite 20 miles from our home I tried to close the large main slide (driver-side) and it too started to come in crooked. Long story short I replaced the two bolts / nuts that connect the bar to the motor because one of the bolts had bent like a witches hook nose it did not have a nut attached to it otherwise I would have found it in the storage compartment with the bolt. No issues all season long. Camping World checked it out and said it was good.
One of the storage compartments latch was installed backwards which would not allow a secure latch which we found out when I was bringing the RV from storage to our home. As I made a turn 3 camping chairs and a collapsible trash can came rolling out. Lucky the road I was on was not heavily traveled and a vehicle behind me saw what happened and help pick out the items. Surprised this did not occurred on our way back from Indiana(RV Express) to Colorado. At that time that compartment had very little in it.

But all-in-all with all these issues we had an excellent time in our 2017 Seneca.

John
Boy

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by txauditr-ret. View Post
I’ve had Coachman TT before my present Jayco. What a difference. In my estimations Jayco is low class with high prices. It’s Ben 18 months for me and I still have issues. I’ve had to solve mine own problems with little help
We did that. It took a whole day. Still, the window leaking in the rain the day after taking delivery, the awning issue, and the LP furnace failing after a week of use are serious problems that didn't reveal in the inspection. We will not purchase a Jayco again(terrible warranty response) nor will we buy from CW again (terrible techs and warranty response.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
This is the way that every PDI should be conducted. Review everything before signing papers or writing a check.

I'm no expert by any means, but when I purchased my 2017, I viewed the unit no less than 3 times before I wrote the check.

The first time we looked at it, we had the kids with us. We spent the better part of an afternoon sitting in the unit, having the kids climb in and out of the bunks. We converted the dinette, folded down the Murphy bed, sat on the toilet of all things, stood in the shower, opened all of the exterior compartments, messed with the outside kitchen, and I even crawled on the roof and under the trailer to inspect.

The second time, I looked it over top to bottom with my wife and father with me but no kids. This gave us the time to pick it apart. Before this inspection, I had the dealer pull the unit over to the building, fill it with water, and run all of the systems. Each of us had a notebook and wrote down items that needed attention. We compared the notes at the end and gave a list (thankfully it wasn't an extensive one....a couple of latches, a few spots on the dicor on the roof, etc.) to the dealer to have completed before I would pay or take delivery.

When we went back to pick up the unit, this is when we did the "PDI" with the dealer. We went through the unit again and tried every system one more time and confirmed that our punch list items were completed. Once we were happy, we then went in, wrote the check, and pulled it home.

I don't know many people that take this amount of time to inspect their potential new units. But if they did, I guarantee you that the initial quality complaints that we hear about so often would be drastically reduced.

We did all of that and more on day of taking delivery. The day long of inspection and tests did not reveal: forward window leaked in the rain day after taking delivery, LP furnace failed after two weeks of use, the awning failed among other issues. The problem is the worthless response when things fail. Jayco and CW are useless. They had our unit for 5 months. Did not fix anything.we will not buy Jayco again, and never through CW.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #34
Site Team

Ladies and gentleman. This thread appears to be going nowhere productively. I appreciate everyone's frustration, with the problems that have shown up on your particular RVs. I have been there, also, as noted in the above post about an experience 23 years ago. It was only to show that these experiences are nothing new. The Forum is here for you, to help those with questions about their RV's systems, or where components are located, and how they work. It's also here to solicit others opinions on subjects, so they can make an informed decision. A place to post appropriate humor, or classifieds ads, and a lot more. It's here for your education and enjoyment.

The following is a quote from the Community Rules, which is available to all in total, at the bottom of the page.

"Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community. You may post about problems you have with Jayco product in an effort to learn from others with similar issues however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Jayco, Jayco products, or Jayco owners is strictly forbidden."

Thank you

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #35

Well, I for one have been a very happy Jayco customer with my 2015 Whitehawk 27DSRL. Doubt if I buy another Jayco based on what I am seeing on various forums but I have had 0 issues with my Whitehawk going on 4 years now. Like many folks say it can be 'luck of the draw', mine must not have been built on a Friday! :-)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #36
Site Team

Mine must have been built by all the "Employees of the month".
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #37

Thor purchased Jayco in July of 2016. There are a lot of RVers that understand the ramifications of that. Sorry for your issues. Good luck.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Mine must have been built by all the "Employees of the month".
My 2012 as well. It seems that Jayco's golden years were from the beginning to around 2015. But again, generally we only hear about the bad ones on here. When the time comes for me to replace my Eagle I will look at all manufacturers.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
My 2012 as well. It seems that Jayco's golden years were from the beginning to around 2015. But again, generally we only hear about the bad ones on here. When the time comes for me to replace my Eagle I will look at all manufacturers.
I agree, I brought my 2016 28BHBE in October of 2015.
Had very few problems with it.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
It seems that Jayco's golden years were from the beginning to around 2015. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I agree, I brought my 2016 28BHBE in October of 2015.
Had very few problems with it.
And right after that is when sales skyrocketed....