Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #1

Jaycommand: Use empty wiring slot on Node

Does anyone know if I can add wiring for a light directly to the BMPRO (JayCommand) Node? There are empty slots in the node that I think I should be able to use to power a small entry step light. The real issue is that the current step light is 'tied' to the awning light and can only be turned on together. I want to separate the two so that I can leave the entry step light on while the awning light is off. Others have posted threads about completing this mod but that was on older models without the BMPRO Node.

I should be able to run the wires from that small entry light directly to an empty space on the node (thats the easy part), but then how do I tell the node how to control the new 'circuit'?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've searched the internet for hours but haven't been able to find anything at all about adding circuits to the node.

Thanks!!
Mitchg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #2

Solved

OK, so not really solved, but this is what I came up with. I wrote Jayco AND BMpro with the question and today BMpro replied. Officially, you cannot add anything (new functions) to the JayCommand Node that wasn't already included from the manufacturer.

So,... here's my work around.

My coach has two awnings; each with an LED strip light that came wired separately. I rewired those two together to "Awning 2" light control on the node. I then wired the step light directly to "Awning 1 & Step Light" control on the node. Super easy solution!! Now the awning lights come on together and I can separately turn the step light on or off (so I can leave it on at night without disturbing nearby campers). All functions are still controlled from the JayCommand Node and/or the app on my phone.

Hope this helps anyone else that dislikes having the Awning light tied to the step light.

Happy Travels!!
Mitch
Old 03-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #3

Hi Mitch, total newbie question. I know where my bupropion control panel is but where is the node located ?? Thanks
Dcarl569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcarl569 View Post
Hi Mitch, total newbie question. I know where my bupropion control panel is but where is the node located ?? Thanks
Dcarl569,

The JayCommand Node is located in the basement of the 5th wheel behind an access panel It is the bluetooth mesh command module that makes the coach a 'smart' system. I believe it was first introduced in 2020 and newer models. It looks like this:
Name:  Jaycommand.jpeg
Views: 177
Size:  6.4 KB
Old 03-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #5

After plugging the wiring into the node, was there any reconfiguration you had to do at the panel to get the panel and app to recognize the new output?
SickDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #6

SickDay,
No, I did not need to attempt any reprogramming since the controls were essentially unchanged. More specifically:
BEFORE the mod : “Awning 1 & Step” button controlled the Awning 1 light and the step light (obviously) and “Awning 2” button only turned on the Awning 2 light.
AFTER the mod : “Awning 1 & Step” button only controls the step light since I grouped the two awning lights under the “Awning 2” button.
Ideally I’d like to rename the buttons to more precisely match their functions but BMpro says I can’t.
Hope this isn’t too confusing.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #7

Ah, gotcha. I only have 1 awning so that was I wasn't following. Thanks for the clarification.
SickDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #8

I added 2 switches to just above the solar controller. The switch on the left when in the off position allows the rear camera to operate with the trucks parking lights, when on turns on the rear camera without being connected to the truck.

The switch on the right I just changed to an spdt on-off-on switch. When I the I position, the step light turns on with the main awning, when in the II position, the step light is on regardless of the main awning light, and when in the off position, the light is off regardless.

Not a difficult mod and costs about $5 if you’re interested in something similar.
Attached Thumbnails
10E0E730-54FA-4D69-AE08-A050CE40A8D6.jpg  
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
I added 2 switches to just above the solar controller. The switch on the left when in the off position allows the rear camera to operate with the trucks parking lights, when on turns on the rear camera without being connected to the truck.

The switch on the right I just changed to an spdt on-off-on switch. When I the I position, the step light turns on with the main awning, when in the II position, the step light is on regardless of the main awning light, and when in the off position, the light is off regardless.

Not a difficult mod and costs about $5 if you’re interested in something similar.

Can you provide a wiring diagram?

Fyrehuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:14 AM   #10

I don't, but basically you need to run some wires from behind the controller to the basement. For the camera mod, need to tap into the green marker light wire in the bundle located in the basement ceiling. Run a wire from there to behind the controller. the rest of the wires are already there. Connect the purple to the center of the switch, the supplied red hot wire to one side and the marker wire you just ran to the other.

The blue light mod is a little more detailed, you have to isolate the blue light by cutting the wires from the node to the light and from the light to the awning light. Then very similar, as above.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #11

What type of switch did you use for the camera mod?

Old 09-03-2021, 04:14 AM   #12

I used a small spdt on-on switch

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/...-switch/1.html

One side powers the camera from a constant 12v the other from the marker lights.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:36 AM   #13

Copy that, thanks

Tags
bmpro, entry light, jaycommand