Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

JT Strongarms in 317RLOK

Hey everyone, I tried searching but didn't come up with anything relevant to my situation.

We recently purchased a new 317RLOK and looking for input on how you attached your JT Strongarms to the front support? It has a square tube cross support and a plywood front storage floor so none of the installation instructions are going to work for the front.

I am contemplating swinging by a welding shop and getting a small 1/4" steel plate welded to the cross beam so I can attach the center support but wanted to see what anyone has done before I start to go down that path. I wouldn't think it would have too much pressure on it but if so I could have some gussets added to increase the strength of the welded plate.

Thanks for your input and any idea is greatly appreciated.
ScubaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I went through this and what I did is I drill and tap just in the square tube and didn't drill through the wood, here are a few pics of my install. It took me about two or three hours and most of that is I was trying to figure out just how I was going to install my JT Strongarm in that tube.

They give you a few option on how to do it and a couple type of bracket on how to install each Strongarm tubing so you just pick on how you want to attach them.

After I figure out on how I wanted to attach the one in the front it was a piece of cake from there, if you have any more question just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3285.JPG   DSCN3287.JPG   DSCN3286.JPG   DSCN3289.JPG   DSCN3291.JPG  

DSCN3292.JPG   DSCN3300.JPG   DSCN3303.JPG   DSCN3306.JPG   DSCN3307.JPG  

Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #3

As you can see in the first pics I had to take everything out so I could have a clear shot at it, but yeah I thought about drill through the wood also but I said that would be a little too much.

I can be done I believe but I choose to do it that way, I retired from Boeing and I was a tool maker we drill and tap into metal all the time but I didn't want to over torque the screws but they are tight enough.

My setup will be the same as your fiver as far as installing the JT's Strongarm on your fiver.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #4

Dang, I never even thought about drilling and tapping the hole. I thought about maybe putting in a nutsert but wanted to see what someone else had already done. Looks like that is the way I am going to do it as well. That will save me a trip to the welding shop.

Thank you for the reply and the pictures.

2020 Jayco Eagle 317RLOK
2017 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L Hemi
Old 06-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #5

Yes, I'm glad this help I also though about putting in a nut on the end but that tube was too small and I would have to fish it all the way down to the screw and hope it would work.

Well, you seen how dark it was getting when I was out there installing the JT's Strongarm so I was dealing with time.

You just find out for I forgot now the size of bolts that goes there and get a drill and tap setup that come together and use a step drill to drill up to the size of hole for the tap.

Now if you have any question just ask and I will get back to you. I know I've been down that road so now I got it on how to install them.

Thank you for your service.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #6

I'm well pleased with mine.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:11 AM   #7

Since I install mines I haven't had a chance to try it out, just can't wait, I have a tripod that I use for my kingpin and I'm hoping that I don't need it so I can sell it.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:11 AM   #8
IFF

Just finished up installation on my 2020 317RLOK. Was in the same quandary as you. I didn’t want to weld so I cut a 1/4” thick plate and through bolted it after removing the wooden floor piece in the generator bay.

IFF
Attached Thumbnails
68474F4E-CADD-49F4-8D3F-19AE33837959.jpg  
IFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #9
IFF

Don’t know why the picture is sideways.......
Old 06-13-2020, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFF View Post
Just finished up installation on my 2020 317RLOK. Was in the same quandary as you. I didn’t want to weld so I cut a 1/4” thick plate and through bolted it after removing the wooden floor piece in the generator bay.

IFF
That's a good way of doing it do, look great. So how do you like your, can you tell of any movement?
Old 06-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Yes, I'm glad this help I also though about putting in a nut on the end but that tube was too small and I would have to fish it all the way down to the screw and hope it would work.

Well, you seen how dark it was getting when I was out there installing the JT's Strongarm so I was dealing with time.

You just find out for I forgot now the size of bolts that goes there and get a drill and tap setup that come together and use a step drill to drill up to the size of hole for the tap.

Now if you have any question just ask and I will get back to you. I know I've been down that road so now I got it on how to install them.

Thank you for your service.
Thank you for your service as well!

Weather pending, the install is happening first thing in the morning. Will be the first major mod. The wife was worried sick about the shaking when we were RV shopping and didn’t like it at all. She told me today she was ok with the shaking after camping in it the past few weekends. Already bought it so it’s going in regardless. I’m not a small fella and it will surely give me a piece of mind.

2020 Jayco Eagle 317RLOK
2017 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L Hemi
Old 06-13-2020, 09:29 PM   #12

Thank you, Yes, I agree, I also have the tripod that you can put on the kingpin but like some say maybe or maybe not those work but I really want to see how the JT's Strongarm work.

I will use it both ways, with and without the tripod and see if I really need it and if not I will sell it.

Post up some pics when you do install them.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #13
IFF

Big1, The Strongarms have completely eliminated any movement. Really impressed. IFF
Old 06-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #14

What are you guys doing with the spare tire?
Or, was your spare tire not mounted between the landing gear?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFF View Post
Big1, The Strongarms have completely eliminated any movement. Really impressed. IFF
Thank you, people that have these install said the same thing, can't wait to try it out.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Mines is in the back but their a guy that have a Jayco his tire is in the front, he work around that so do a search on YouTube you should find it.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post

I have the BAL stablizers and took the spare off and mounted it on the rear bumper with a kit I got off ebay I think it was. Totally worth it to install stabilizers.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #18

I had just enough room (on my trailer) to mount a BAL tire rack between the steps and the front Strong Arms. Finally got the tire off the rear bumper.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #19

I installed the JT Strong Arms on a 2021 Eagle 357MDOK a couple of weeks ago. Took a little different approach to dealing with the crossbar. Used the self tappers instead of drilling all the way through. Sandwiched a couple of the spacers with one of the brackets. As long as you have the clearance when the legs are fully retracted, a bracket is not needed when attaching to the I-beam frame. Love these things. Had them on our previous trailer. Ordered and sitting here months before the new 5er came off the assembly line.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1102.jpg   IMG_1189.jpg   IMG_6281.jpg   IMG_3534.jpg  
riesarott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesarott View Post
I installed the JT Strong Arms on a 2021 Eagle 357MDOK a couple of weeks ago. Took a little different approach to dealing with the crossbar. Used the self tappers instead of drilling all the way through. Sandwiched a couple of the spacers with one of the brackets. As long as you have the clearance when the legs are fully retracted, a bracket is not needed when attaching to the I-beam frame. Love these things. Had them on our previous trailer. Ordered and sitting here months before the new 5er came off the assembly line.
Nicely done, I did the same on the front I drill and tap into that square beam but I just use a different bracket. I see that you did your back jacks also, now I still have more of the hardware on I could still do my rear jacks. I don't know if I will but since I have them I still might do it.