Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 05:35 AM   #1

Just picked up new 28.5rsts

So we sold our motorhome of 10 years and have purchased a 5th wheel. Although we have not had a 5th wheel in 10 years, it is our fifth one in 20 plus years. Clearly a lot has changed in upgrades and creature comforts like USB ports and charging stations! We purchased a 2018 and brought it home last night. Couple of problems....the one slide won't go out. It was out at the dealer ...we had slide toppers put on so was wondering if anyone thought this could be binding the slide? It wants to go out at bottom but top isn't budging. Kearny we will be taking back to dealer but wanted an opinion here. Also, are all the slides on these louis and noisey? All three make a lot of noise. Maybe they are different now? I know none of my prior campers ever sounded like this. But as all 3 make noise maybe it's the brand of slide? Thanks for your help!
Shirlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:24 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome!

We just picked up a new unit too and I noticed that our slides are a lot noisier than on the old unit. Hopefully it's just dry tracks and a little lubrication will help.

As far as the slide not going out, I assume you have the unit leveled. If so, it might be worth a try unlevelling and see what happens. We had a similar problem on our old unit and it turned out that leveling has torqued the frame just enough that it caused the slide to bind. If you're not leveled, try leveling to see what happens.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I would say we are pretty level. Perfect? No. It's in the driveway and seems to be pretty close. Other slides went out fine. This one seems stuck at top. i can certainly try to level it a bit more to see if this helps.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

As you can see from our signature (below), we also have a 28.5 RSTS and have really enjoyed it.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum and congratulations.

Do you have the trailer plugged into AC power in your driveway? The slide motors are 12volt and your battery could be low.

Many slides move at the bottom first and then the top moves out from the trailer side; ours does, but it is a totally different trailer. It's possible your battery isn't fully charged and the voltage is too low to move the side.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

Yep it's plugged it and its brand new so I assume batter is good. Other slides went out fine. Dealer said to just push it out and if it. Teams it's on them. I was like ok not really what I want to do. So my question is if the other slides go out normal, why would this one go out bottom first? Like I said, it's been a long time since we have had new and things are different I know lol.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #7

Any chance the slide has those slide locker bars on them? Check the sides and the top.
VE6CPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #8

Congrats and welcome!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #9

What slide is acting up? We have the same model and our table slide was doing what you are saying. The factory didn't put nuts on the bolts that go thru the floor an into the slide racks. The slide was coming up and out of the racks and tipping real far. I found two carridge bolts inside on the carpet under the table alongside the wall.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #10

Nope that was the first thing we looked for.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #11

It is the same slide as yours. We sent a video of it to our dealer and they called back and said yeah that definitely is a problem. If I knew how to post video from my phone I would. It's so bad that when it pops the entire camper shakes. The exterior walls actually bulges out. Almost like the slide is too big for the hole.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

We have a 2017 28.5 HT rsts. Our living room slide made a clunking racket when it was extended. I called the dealer while we were travelling and was told the ratcheting sound was normal. Yet when we took the 5th wheel in for some warranty issues a few months later, the service dept. adjusted the tracks on the slide and now it is much quieter. All the slides have a slight whining noise when extending and retracting, but I think that is normal.
irmapeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #13

Well found out the slide causing the problem was adjusted TOO HIGH. Easy fix they say. Let's hope so.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #14

I have a 2018 rsts as you and the dinette side was sticking at the top. Would open and close but was sticking at the top. Took it back to dealer for realignment. The slides for me are not noisy.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamer View Post
I have a 2018 rsts as you and the dinette side was sticking at the top. Would open and close but was sticking at the top. Took it back to dealer for realignment. The slides for me are not noisy.
We have the 27.5RLTS and have the same problem with the dining table slide (passenger side) sticking. Tech told me it cannot be adjusted, or maybe he just doesn't want to adjust it. My slide sticks at the very top corner nearest the door. The back top goes out 3 to 4 inches while the front part lags behind then all of a sudden it pops with a bang. Only way I can get it to go smoother is to push the extend button a little at a time, then when it is close to where it would pop, I give it a pull and the slide goes out. Kind of a pain but it works.
2014 F350 SD Lariat, 4X2, Ext.Cab 8'Bed, 6.2Ltr gas, 4:30 Rear ratio
2008 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel 34TSA, 37' (traded in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel 27.5 RLTS
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #16

Make them fix the slide. That's not normal for it to do. I'm concerned with ours that as hard as it is for the slide to go out, and then it oops so bad, it will cause damage to the sides of the camper. We haven't heard from them so hope it's as easy a fix as they say. I'm not overly convinced.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #17

Welcome to the 28.5 RSTS club. Mine are loud also, but you have to hold the button 3 sec. after opening and closing the bedroom & right side slide. This keeps the motors insink with each other. The left slide is completely different, so stop the process when it starts to click. Have fun with your new 28.5 5er.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirlee View Post
So we sold our motorhome of 10 years and have purchased a 5th wheel. Although we have not had a 5th wheel in 10 years, it is our fifth one in 20 plus years. Clearly a lot has changed in upgrades and creature comforts like USB ports and charging stations! We purchased a 2018 and brought it home last night. Couple of problems....the one slide won't go out. It was out at the dealer ...we had slide toppers put on so was wondering if anyone thought this could be binding the slide? It wants to go out at bottom but top isn't budging. Kearny we will be taking back to dealer but wanted an opinion here. Also, are all the slides on these louis and noisey? All three make a lot of noise. Maybe they are different now? I know none of my prior campers ever sounded like this. But as all 3 make noise maybe it's the brand of slide? Thanks for your help!
Shirlee - We purchased a 2018 28.5 RSTS back in June and we've noticed that the dining room slide tends to stick a bit on the top when retracting. It'll extend, you can hear the motor running and then it'll bind and 'pop' before full extension. It kinda got stuck (once) and took several attempts before it released but hasn't got stuck since. We do have a service scheduled for later this month, so hopefully that'll be a simple fix from the dealer. Side note: I wasn't able to find any obvious things that it was binding on, so I'm a little curious on why that's happening right now.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #19

We have the same model and have noticed the same action with the living room slide. I made sure the rv was level and it did make a difference. Yes the bottom comes out first than the top no longer with a pop.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #20

new rv

use youtube to learn how to re-program lippert slides. mine have gotten out of synch several times and re-programming has fixed it.
replace top bathroom vent . most leak . Maxair or fantastic fan.

2015 28.5 RSTS
2012 Ram 6.7L 2500 CCLWB
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote